Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Switch Hitter

Smendor
I am looking for some Dev input on the topic of a switch hitter.

We have a primary and secondar weapon slot, but there does not seem to be a way to slot the traditional switch hitter setup of say longsword and shortbow. Will we ever have a way to slot a Role Feature for each weapon, or a Role Feature that is a switch hitter build of hand-to-hand + range combat? This will also go in with the armor feat slot.

I just want to know before I keep adding more xp into the build only to find out it will never happen.
Grip
Working as intended … no way to change armors, armor feats or features while in combat.
Dazyk of Phaeros
Meaningful choices, dudes.
Dazyk Half-Elven, Elder of the Frozen Fingers, the shock- troops of Phaeros. If you are a fighter, cleric, or rogue, and enjoy battle, be it PVP or PVE, we are the company for you! We welcome role-players, casual gamers, and hardcore players alike.

Find your hidden strength, join the Frozen Fingers today!
Dazyk's PFO Resources Folder
Tyncale
If people are willing to haul entire sets of Armor/Weapons/Misc Gear along so that they can switch sets, and thus making the PvP loot-game a lot more interesting, I do not see why not. Switching should only be out of combat, with a TBD cooldown off course, that is a no brainer. After all, you can already do this now, it is just inconvenient to do.
N.B. If the phrase "switch-hitter" specifically refers to being able to do this in combat, then disregard my post. smile
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Smendor
A Switch Hitter (ranger) is a common Pathfinder and D&D build. I do not want to change my gear in combat. I want to known if there is plan to have an armor and role feat that will work well with switch hitting.

Like Dragoon:
Improved Critical +5
Light Melee Attack Bonus +7
Heavy Melee Attack Bonus +7

Switch Hitter:
Improved Critical +5
Ranged Attack Bonus +7

I assume it will come with the Ranger class.
Edam
Smendor
A Switch Hitter (ranger) is a common Pathfinder and D&D build. I do not want to change my gear in combat. I want to known if there is plan to have an armor and role feat that will work well with switch hitting.

Like Dragoon:
Improved Critical +5
Light Melee Attack Bonus +7

Switch Hitter:
Improved Critical +5
Ranged Attack Bonus +7

I assume it will come with the Ranger class.

It might if someone crowforges it as a proposal in the crowdforge forums.

otherwise you may have to just choose armor feats and roles that are not weapon specific. Unbreakable for example.
Tyncale
Ah, makes much more sense to me now! It seems to me that such Armors and Feats can be easily implemented, with the expectation that the total skill bonus on a switchhitter Feat will be somewhat(or a lot?) less then the total bonusses on a more "dedicated" Feat. So you trade off some of the Bonus for being able to get a better match for using Ranged and Melee at the same time. I would be all for that.

In fact, I see this as a great possibility to increase the variety of amors and feats, that could also easily fit the many Roles we hope to see implemented in the future.

Isn't there a type of Sword-wielding Mage in Pathfinder, much like Gandalf? smile
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Gog
One of the devs mentioned a while back that hybrid feature feats could easily be implemented and may be part of the advanced training options from NPC factions.
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>
Edam
Tyncale
Isn't there a type of Sword-wielding Mage in Pathfinder, much like Gandalf? smile

In traditional D&D that was generically called a Gish, named after a Githyanki warrior class. I believe the Pathfinder implementation of a Gish character is the Eldritch Knight.

Cross classing is a strong and old tradition in D&D and single classing was often limited to role play or those classes that needed full spell progression to maintain effectiveness. I suspect the recent obsession with single role characters we see so much of on these boards is a result of MMOs and the recent trend of "dumbing down" many games (online and offline) in an effort to churn more players to make money.
KarlBob
Edam
Tyncale

In traditional D&D that was generically called a Gish, named after a Githyanki warrior class. I believe the Pathfinder implementation of a Gish character is the Eldritch Knight.

Cross classing is a strong and old tradition in D&D and single classing was often limited to role play or those classes that needed full spell progression to maintain effectiveness. I suspect the recent obsession with single role characters we see so much of on these boards is a result of MMOs and the recent trend of "dumbing down" many games (online and offline) in an effort to churn more players to make money.
The Eldritch Knight is a prestige class. A couple of years after it was introduced, a new base class was added to the game, called the Magus. Now a character doesn't need to spend time in two other classes, then become an Eldritch Knight. Instead, the character can be a Magus for 20 levels. Out of all the new hybrid classes, the Magus may come the closest to completely replacing its earlier prestige class counterpart. Paizo's iconic Eldritch Knight character was even retconned to be the iconic Magus.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post