Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

NPC Hex Concern

Dazyk of Phaeros
Hey All;

I'm just listening to the PFU chat with Lee from yesterday, and a comment from Lee has me relatively concerned:

"…if you did an…unsanctioned PVP action in the NPC hexes…an agent of Pharasma would show up and beat the crap out of you…The idea was having more newbie protection in those areas…and some protection for major traffic zones…It's not on the schedule right now…I'm not even sure at this point we'll do it…" [emphasis mine]

This shocked me, to be honest. I had been under the assumption that this was one of the key design aspects of PFO: the way PFO would not only protect the 'new player experience,' but also direct the PVP aspects of the game.

So, I'd like to formally open this discussion, and place my vote in to the "we need newbie/protected" areas.

I will note that Lee goes on to mention that they might consider doing this when the population grows, but I would like to point out that making design/programming changes to the game BEFORE they are actually needed seems like a much wiser decision, and a wise use of time/resources, than attempting to scramble and fix a problem while it is potentially getting out of control.

Edit to add: Time of discussion is around 20 minutes in. Link : Keepside chat 08
Dazyk Half-Elven, Elder of the Frozen Fingers, the shock- troops of Phaeros. If you are a fighter, cleric, or rogue, and enjoy battle, be it PVP or PVE, we are the company for you! We welcome role-players, casual gamers, and hardcore players alike.

Find your hidden strength, join the Frozen Fingers today!
Dazyk's PFO Resources Folder
Midnight
Even though I don't care if we ever get guards, I was always under the impression that roads would have guards.

Programming some hexes to spawn some guard camps rather than spawning all monster camps seems simple. It might take a bit more programming to assure there are no gaps on roads and I'd call that step 2, but a step 1 of having a guard presence scattered through choice hexes (that newbies/travelers can flee to for help) seems simple.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Dazyk of Phaeros
I would usually agree, but look at the trouble they've had getting the thornguards in settlements right…

IF it ever got to a point where NPC protection was needed, COULD we wait 4 months for GW to fix it? My thoughts suggest no.

Also, this isn't meant to demean the work GW is doing or has done; I'm simply recognising the resources/time disparity as it relates to what we have already experienced.
Dazyk Half-Elven, Elder of the Frozen Fingers, the shock- troops of Phaeros. If you are a fighter, cleric, or rogue, and enjoy battle, be it PVP or PVE, we are the company for you! We welcome role-players, casual gamers, and hardcore players alike.

Find your hidden strength, join the Frozen Fingers today!
Dazyk's PFO Resources Folder
Nihimon
I expect one of the reasons that doing this isn't a priority right now is because Ryan's policy was effective in getting folks to largely quit hunting newbs around Marchmont. Beyond that, they have to prioritize this relative to everything else that really needs to be done.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Kitsune
Midnight
Even though I don't care if we ever get guards, I was always under the impression that roads would have guards.

Programming some hexes to spawn some guard camps rather than spawning all monster camps seems simple. It might take a bit more programming to assure there are no gaps on roads and I'd call that step 2, but a step 1 of having a guard presence scattered through choice hexes (that newbies/travelers can flee to for help) seems simple.

Not too bad of an idea. Tell me, are there mechanics in the game right now to remove encounters from a hex? I assume there are, with escalation cycles and such…

Reason I bring it up is that these guards would have to be removed from time to time to keep things random, or to keep them from filling up the entire population of that hex. Specifically because nobody will be "clearing" the guard encounters.
Midnight
@Dazyk

I wasn't describing it as simple in order to justify doing it at the last minute.

If step one is as simple as it sounds to me, they might as well do it soon.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Kitsune
Nihimon
I expect one of the reasons that doing this isn't a priority right now is because Ryan's policy was effective in getting folks to largely quit hunting newbs around Marchmont. Beyond that, they have to prioritize this relative to everything else that really needs to be done.

True, but the resources it would take to implement this (probably Bob, specifically) might be different than the resources working on other aspects of the game (e.g. holdings/outposts/better-grass).
Midnight
Kitsune
Specifically because nobody will be "clearing" the guard encounters.

Are you forgetting that Tink still plays? :-)

Seriously, I hadn't considered that, yet.
-Edmund Burke
Tyncale
I completely agree with Dazyk, and this is the very first time that I feel they may be going astray of one of the original design goals that attracted me to the game.

I loved the idea of a few NPC patrolled roads with Guardpposts and guards that would run to your rescue, their response time depending on how far you are away. It's not that there are many of these roads: I would say at least 95% of the roads would not have such protection, same for wilderness. We also still need Fast Travel and caravans so I think it is too early to put this feature by the wayside.

Mmm, worrysome. It feels a little bit as if the feature is going to be cut because of lack of development time? Or is there a good reason not to go this way? If it is lack of development resources, then I fear for about a hundred other things that are supposed to make it in the game, like buildings having interiors and such. I mean, who needs bling like that? smile
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Quijenoth Starkiller
Don't we have PFU for protection of the new players now?
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post