Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

NPC Hex Concern

Kitsune
Valid concerns, Tyncale, but I think it would be good if we were to wait for a more clear response from Lee before thinking to those extremes. But it's definitely a really good idea for us all to vocalize our concerns with this. Crowdforging an' stuff.
Tyncale
I realize I am a bit of a "The sky is falling" guy. That's because I like this game so much, and its concept. smile
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Yrme
If they can't add guards, either roaming of randomly spawned in the hexes, perhaps they could notch up the rep losses for attacks in "patrolled" hexes (like double or quadruple rep losses)? If they placed random/stationary guards, they might also attach significant rep losses for killing an unflagged guard - ie, guards might be legitimate targets during a war, but not otherwise. (Although I'm not sure reputation has much penalty right now. A subject for another day.)
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.
Kitsune
Tyncale
I realize I am a bit of a "The sky is falling" guy. That's because I like this game so much, and its concept. smile

I find myself consistently wavering between, as you describe, "the sky is falling" guy, to over-optimistic zealot.
Lee Hammock
So the only reason I said we may not do it is because, currently, there doesn't seem to be a need for it. Sure this is the sort of thing you want to do before you have a need, but in the huge list of features we have currently there are a great many I would consider more vital than the more proactive guards.
Tyncale
Yrme
If they can't add guards, either roaming of randomly spawned in the hexes, perhaps they could notch up the rep losses for attacks in "patrolled" hexes (like double or quadruple rep losses)? If they placed random/stationary guards, they might also attach significant rep losses for killing an unflagged guard - ie, guards might be legitimate targets during a war, but not otherwise. (Although I'm not sure reputation has much penalty right now. A subject for another day.)
I think such (low-cost) adjustments can certainly be a workable solution, however I would hope they are temporary. The whole Guardpost along the roads thing is not just a safety feature imo, it is also another step to creating a more interesting and cooler looking Fantasy World, and making it populated and immersive. smile
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Decius
Would sprinkling a few Thorngaurd around the major roads in the NPC hexes be easy and meet the expectations of players? They might need to be made tougher and loot-free to keep them alive, or maybe just spawn in pairs like the outermost settlement TG do.

High-density TG anywhere outside of settlements might be excessively punishing to low-rep characters.
Yrme
Decius
Would sprinkling a few Thorngaurd around the major roads in the NPC hexes be easy and meet the expectations of players? They might need to be made tougher and loot-free to keep them alive, or maybe just spawn in pairs like the outermost settlement TG do.

High-density TG anywhere outside of settlements might be excessively punishing to low-rep characters.

Interesting. Let me riff off this. I hadn't considered the target-low-rep aspects.

Could some mix of Thornguard mob-groups just be added to the random respawn tables for patrolled hexes? So some singles, some doubles, rare triples and very rare four-somes? Could it be controlled, so once there are N guard mob-groups new ones won't spawn and overrun the hex?
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.
Lee Hammock
Adding Thornguards to the spawn table of any NPC hex is actually pretty easy if people thing that would be useful. They would be as static as any other NPCs though. Wait, no, thought of a problem. They would never despawn unless they were killed off, so your NPC hexes would slowly become filled with nothing but Thornguards as all the other mobs were killed off. Currently we don't have a really good way to spawn NPCs in a hex that is not a settlement hex without making the NPCs part of an escalation or the base terrain population, all of which is randomly generated.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Midnight
Even though I don't care if we ever get guards, I was always under the impression that roads would have guards.

Programming some hexes to spawn some guard camps rather than spawning all monster camps seems simple. It might take a bit more programming to assure there are no gaps on roads and I'd call that step 2, but a step 1 of having a guard presence scattered through choice hexes (that newbies/travelers can flee to for help) seems simple.
I'd like to see a guard post at the centre of each "NPC" hex, with half a dozen guards, and trigger points along the road that can receive threat and transmit it either point-to-point, or to any guard within .55 hexes. A red flag within site of a trigger point gives large enough threat to the guards that they can travel to the point and interfere. A bandit that gets good at getting in-and-out may be able to take down their quarry before the guards can respond, or may learn to stay in those small areas where the threat won't hit them. (Perfect ambush spots.) Mobs spawning close to the road could also bring Thornguards running, adding a bit of colour to the journey. Bandits could further use mobs, by drawing them close to the road) to distract the guards while their partners-in-crime take advantage of a gap on the other side of the hex. It would see the NPC roads safer, but not safe, and give people in the wilderness some extra places to flee if waylaid.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post