Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Consumables and Effect Power

Decius
Rynnik
Decius
So, no t2 healing? T3 foci don't heal more than t1 foci?
That's the constant effect, with the added "bonus" that until training it up new clerics can't heal effectively at all.
Sure. What is your objection here? I mean it wouldn't be hard to brainstorm around that aspect of the issue.

The point is that player psychology doesn't like numbers getting smaller and less shiny as player power goes up. It isn't hard to achieve the same design goals while working around that consideration.
My point is that excluding rank 1 and 2 from use isn't consistent with the design philosophy, and excluding ranks 4+ from use isn't consistent with the design philosophy. It's also really hard to balance competing psychological and game elements in a design before feedback is present, and redoing the design to allow 'flat healing' to fit within it is infeasible, and bolting flat healing onto the existing design is inelegant.

A fair compromise between the various points might be to replace the tooltip with "Light healing to target" where "Light healing" has exactly the same meaning as "Cure 300" (or some other method that prevents the display of the nominal number of hit points healed). Ideally that would be in conjunction with a display of epow.
Yrme
Decius
A fair compromise between the various points might be to replace the tooltip with "Light healing to target" where "Light healing" has exactly the same meaning as "Cure 300" (or some other method that prevents the display of the nominal number of hit points healed). Ideally that would be in conjunction with a display of epow.

Lots of games use similar presentations, using language rather than numbers when the real answer is vague and one solid number is inaccurate. It might be part of the solution for consumables.
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.
Midnight
Nihimon, can you point to anything about this system that is actually new player friendly?

I'm trying to understand why the system appeals to you.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
KarlBob
Yrme
Decius

Lots of games use similar presentations, using language rather than numbers when the real answer is vague and one solid number is inaccurate. It might be part of the solution for consumables.
This sounds like an approach worth investigating to me.
Tabomo
KarlBob
Yrme
Decius

It solves the problem of "why does my cure say it heals 610 hp and it really only cures 180?" It doesn't solve the problem of "why does my cure heal less hp just because I equipped better armor?"
KarlBob
Tabomo
KarlBob
Yrme
Decius

It solves the problem of "why does my cure say it heals 610 hp and it really only cures 180?" It doesn't solve the problem of "why does my cure heal less hp just because I equipped better armor?"
Solving part of the problem is better than solving none of the problem.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Tabomo
It doesn't solve the problem of "why does my cure heal less hp just because I equipped better armor?"
Technically, since that is working as intended, it isn't a "problem." The fact that people don't like it is another problem.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Edam
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Tabomo
It doesn't solve the problem of "why does my cure heal less hp just because I equipped better armor?"
Technically, since that is working as intended, it isn't a "problem." The fact that people don't like it is another problem.

Well just change the wording of the tooltip. "Heals 680 to unarmored target".
Nihimon
Midnight
Nihimon, can you point to anything about this system that is actually new player friendly?

I'm trying to understand why the system appeals to you.

"New player friendly" is not a priority for me. That's mostly because I think "new player friendly" pretty much means "WoW clone", and I don't want that for PFO.

The thing that appeals to me about it is that it forces a certain amount of balance. You simply won't be effective using Rank 1 Heals, or Tier 1 +0 Consumables when you're running around in Tier 2 +2 Armor fighting other folks in Tier 2 +2 Armor. To me, this is the main thing that mitigates the effectiveness of the "monsters in the basement" (1,000 XP alts whose sole purpose is murder and mayhem).
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Yrme
Nihimon
The thing that appeals to me about it is that it forces a certain amount of balance. You simply won't be effective using Rank 1 Heals, or Tier 1 +0 Consumables when you're running around in Tier 2 +2 Armor fighting other folks in Tier 2 +2 Armor.

Just thinking aloud: I wonder if that balancing act might provide some interesting intersection points, between the efficacy of some T1 consumables/effects and the T2 armors. Perhaps T2+0 armor, with fewer keyword effects, but with the improved resistances of T2, mixed with high T1 effects might still provide a cost/resource effective package.
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post