Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Hatchet Job on Massively

Mbando
So one of the writers at Massively just posted a pretty brutal "gotcha" style hatchet job, putting a really negative spin on Ryan's request for marketing: http://massivelyop.net/2015/04/27/pathfinder-online-pushes-for-aggressive-recruiting-on-media-sites/

It's opened up a huge opportunity space for every negative person at the site to repeat ever inaccurate claim against PFO so far.
A member of Ozem's Vigil, home to servants of Iomedae and her coming Paladins.
Edam
Mbando
So one of the writers at Massively just posted a pretty brutal "gotcha" style hatchet job, putting a really negative spin on Ryan's request for marketing: http://massivelyop.net/2015/04/27/pathfinder-online-pushes-for-aggressive-recruiting-on-media-sites/

It's opened up a huge opportunity space for every negative person at the site to repeat ever inaccurate claim against PFO so far.

Yeah, sadly though he must have got that spin from players or disgruntled ex-players who have a vested interest in the game failing to "prove them right".

In reality the point he was making - if your settlement is failing due to small numbers, you are better off recruiting more people from outside the game who will be committed to you then trying to fight over the occasional leftover uncommitted player in game - was actually valid and good advice.
Banesama
I've never really took Massively that seriously. Every time I have read the comments on them and some of the articles, it just seems to be filled with trolls that spout off things like they know better than anyone else.
"I'm a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four."
Walter Slovotsky
Smitty
Please do not get rid of subscription fees ( ever..) … Really do not want to spend my evenings with people like the ones on that forum..

That being said , Asking for both a subscription and to pay for the game, for people who are currently not playing is a big ask.. would be better to have a account that takes just a subscription price during EE that can be upgraded to full ( by paying for the actual game) is easier to swallow than asking to do both after only 15 days..
Doc
Yeah, sadly though he must have got that spin from players or disgruntled ex-players who have a vested interest in the game failing to "prove them right".

@Edam One doesn't have to want the game to fail in order to point out mistakes being made, or misteps already taken - it's entirely possible it's done out of a desire to see the game ultimately succeed.

In reality the point he was making - if your settlement is failing due to small numbers, you are better off recruiting more people from outside the game who will be committed to you then trying to fight over the occasional leftover uncommitted player in game - was actually valid and good advice.

If that was the point he was making he probably would have said that in so many words. He mentioned recruiting, then some respected players said that is premature, and then Ryan responded by suggesting we go forum fight with people like Bluffwolf over on mmorpg.com - which set off others like me to suggest that suggestion in of itself is also a bad idea.

This "hatchet job" was essentially on point as gaming blog material if you have a notion of how the larger gaming industry and Internet in general reacts to game publishers urging their playerbase to be their marketing force. Forum terms like "fanboy" and "white knight" were spawned from that derision.

RonSterling 20 hours ago (http://fyre.it/7njT3s.4)
I think it's interesting that he actually calls out a specific player on the forums and wants the players to go and argue the point. Even though some of the other players on his own forums seem to think that not only is that probably not a good idea, but that what the guy is saying isn't totally false. Shame, shame. PFO isn't looking like it's going to go anywhere. At least not fast. I got in with a buddy key and couldn't stand to play the game for over 30 minutes, it's pre-alpha status at best and they're asking for you to pay client price and a monthly fee? Get the hell out.

Tridus 1 day ago (http://fyre.it/fMhQ7o.4)
Except that when a community gets really obnoxious about promoting a game on other sites, it starts to turn people off because of how obnoxious the community is. This happens all the time on the WoW forums, a bunch of people come in talking about how great X is and how awful WoW is in comparison. This in no way convinces people to go try X, it just convinces people that X is full of terrible people that nobody would want to play with.

They had better be really careful about trying to push their followers to push the game, because can go wrong real fast.
Dreamslinger
While I think that Ryan's push for evangelism was a little ham-handed and premature, I find the directness of communication from Goblinworks to be a refreshing change. Crap like this is bound to happen when you've got members of your team talking directly to your player base without a filter.

As far as I can tell, Goblinworks is delivering exactly what they promised. People are getting hung up over terms like "alpha", "beta", and "released" that have been bastardized by the industry over the past decade. Goblinworks has been very clear that they intended to charge for access to a very rough product and that they knew that it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. They've also been up front that the subscription during Early Enrollment helps to keep the lights on and to reduce their burn rate which allows them the independence to build the niche game that they outlined during their Kickstarter campaigns.

I thought it was kind of funny that over 75% of the "article" was quoted material.
Mbando
Doc, this is a hatchet job in the specific sense that the writer ostensibly isn't being directly critical, but uses stance markers in text to be highly critical indirectly. It's a very common genre in reporting, and this is a perfect example of it. I have no problem with criticism–as we all know, there are plenty of choices in any enterprise, most definitely including PFO, that can be criticized. And I think Ryan's sentiment wasn't very objectionable, but his phrasing was unfortunate, and open to very unchartitable interpretation. It bugs me to see a media platform engage in a hatchet job–a direct "Hey, I think Goblinwork's CEO is way off base here…" would have opened up a dialogue and been a much more productive and honest approach.
A member of Ozem's Vigil, home to servants of Iomedae and her coming Paladins.
Doc
Click bait, for sure. I used to make a lot of money off blog-based marketing. But that is probably the bulk of gaming blog articles. I'd say GW should seriously consider making the main forums part-private to account subscription holders.
chad4hale
in 1998, the Ever-quest beta had more weapons, more armor, some could Summon creatures, more character customization, more races, more classes, dungeon instances, quests, crafting, gathering, professions (like cooking), environmental hazards, traps, locks, trade interface, game world weather, random critters (Small birds, squirrels, raccoons, lizards) two factions, functioning PvP, guild creation and management, emotes, Building interiors, vendors, location based sound track, a Huge world, sailing ships, more than 100 spells, and a working player driven economy…

and it worked - that was almost 20 years ago, running on approximately 20 year old technology. By comparison, PFO is hideously lacking.

that's not a hack job - they told the truth.
Edam
chad4hale
in 1998, the Ever-quest beta had more weapons, more armor, some could Summon creatures, more character customization, more races, more classes, dungeon instances, quests, crafting, gathering, professions (like cooking), environmental hazards, traps, locks, trade interface, game world weather, random critters (Small birds, squirrels, raccoons, lizards) two factions, functioning PvP, guild creation and management, emotes, Building interiors, vendors, location based sound track, a Huge world, sailing ships, more than 100 spells, and a working player driven economy…

and it worked - that was almost 20 years ago, running on approximately 20 year old technology. By comparison, PFO is hideously lacking.

that's not a hack job - they told the truth.

yep - Everquest had more PvE premade content for people wanting a predictable premade world with little or no opportunity to do anything other than follow one of the premade level up paths designed for your character by the devs and dev created faction fighting. Classic Themepark stuff. There are stacks of new games out there that cater to that market already.

That has nothing whatsoever to do with the article deliberately misinterpreting Ryan's advice that settlements may do better direct recruiting rather than squabbling over uncommitted people already in game (and pretending the comment was a sign the game is failing).

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post