Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Hatchet Job on Massively

Caldeathe Baequiannia
chad4hale
in 1998, the Ever-quest beta had more…
But Everquest didn't have Tink and Nihimon.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Edam
Caldeathe Baequiannia
chad4hale

True and Tink is not even a Gnome yet.

/sings .. Gnome Woman … Gnome Cry /singing
Duffy Swiftshadow
chad4hale
in 1998, the Ever-quest beta had more weapons, more armor, some could Summon creatures, more character customization, more races, more classes, dungeon instances, quests, crafting, gathering, professions (like cooking), environmental hazards, traps, locks, trade interface, game world weather, random critters (Small birds, squirrels, raccoons, lizards) two factions, functioning PvP, guild creation and management, emotes, Building interiors, vendors, location based sound track, a Huge world, sailing ships, more than 100 spells, and a working player driven economy…

and it worked - that was almost 20 years ago, running on approximately 20 year old technology. By comparison, PFO is hideously lacking.

that's not a hack job - they told the truth.

EQ also had around 4-5x the budget and they copy pasted/palette swapped 75% of their assets plus they had two years of development before anyone saw it with full backing from a large studio and publisher…maybe try comparing apples to apples instead of apples to airplanes?

That said sure PFO doesn't have nearly the same amount of stuff but just how useful and interesting was all that stuff? Meh, I rather try a limited scope sandbox and rely on people to create the interesting dynamics. I can go play much more interesting single player games for awesome PvE experiences.
Decius
chad4hale
in 1998, the Ever-quest beta had more weapons, more armor, some could Summon creatures, more character customization, more races, more classes, dungeon instances, quests, crafting, gathering, professions (like cooking), environmental hazards, traps, locks, trade interface, game world weather, random critters (Small birds, squirrels, raccoons, lizards) two factions, functioning PvP, guild creation and management, emotes, Building interiors, vendors, location based sound track, a Huge world, sailing ships, more than 100 spells, and a working player driven economy…

and it worked - that was almost 20 years ago, running on approximately 20 year old technology. By comparison, PFO is hideously lacking.

Nitpick: no instanced dungeons. More armor only is true if you count minor variations or every piece; they had fewer unique matched suits, but could mix/match between them. I also wouldn't describe the PvP of EQ to be functional in any significant way.
Nihimon
chad4hale
in 1998, the Ever-quest beta had…

… how many years of development with how large a team?
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Nihimon
Caldeathe Baequiannia
chad4hale

Actually, it did have Nihimon… and Khimber smile
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Tink and Nihimon is a set. Either without the other would not provide the same value for dollar. Possibly equal, but not the same.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Nihimon
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Tink and Nihimon is a set.

Might have been more accurate to say we're a "pair" smile
Tyncale
chad4hale

True(the part about Everquest).

I am still amazed by how many game systems EQ had when they first released. And the size and variety of the World. You said two factions, but you mean more like 500 factions. Factions were one of the coolest thing in EQ. It was just wonderfull how a Qeynos Shadowknight would spawn in the deep sewers of Qeynos and then notice that half the city hated him. smile Let alone if you rolled an evil race. So many variations, so many races, classes and startercities, each with their own political landscape and racial enemies, like the Runnyeye goblins near the halflings, or the Orcs near the Dwarves. And then some of those factions spanned across the globe, like how the Crushbone Orcs had something going with a certain Dark Elf faction, with a few Dark Elfs spawning in the Orcs lair too.

Yup, best PvE and NPC world ever. Till this very day. This is also why I want to hit people that say Everquest was a "fluke" or only succesful because it was the only MMO around at the time on their head. smile

But this is a different game with different goals. It's almost as far removed from Everquest as an FPS in my opinion when it comes to goals and gameplay.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Quijenoth
I showed my cousin PFO 2 nights ago for the first time.

We both played Everquest when it first came out and his reaction mirrored mine.

Playing PFO now brings back that old feeling we had when we first played Everquest - The world feels big and challenging.

Like me hes been looking for an MMO that you can get your teeth into. The learning curve is steep but that adds to the fun and sense of achievement!

I'll be sending him a buddy key once his son has left for college and he can use his bedroom to set up his PC again smile

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post