Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

MMORPG Will Review PFO

Smitty
So some website that is dedicated to MMOs may not like PFO, and may give it a negative review..

If this MMOrpg is the industry standard and has been instrumental over the past 10 years, giving honest feedback on games to players and the developers … then they must not be very good at understand what would interest me as a player because all though the games I have tried(granted it is a short list).. have been massive disappointments ( even more so after learning the developers sunk 100 million into them to make them acceptable to the people that frequent sites like that one ..)..

I read some of the post on the link this morning and came away relived the folks that want free beta aren’t here and wont come. I remember about a year ago someone linked a video of a game on the pazio boards showing a naked brigade of people with clubs beating each other and wandering around… cant help but think people that participate in free beta would find that great fun.
Mbando
Smitty
I remember about a year ago someone linked a video of a game on the pazio boards showing a naked brigade of people with clubs beating each other and wandering around… cant help but think people that participate in free beta would find that great fun.

That was me smile Bluudwolf managed to get that thread locked because it was so resonant with some of us, and effectively showed why we don't want the kind of FFA gankfest he and some others were always angling for.
A member of Ozem's Vigil, home to servants of Iomedae and her coming Paladins.
Mbando
I have no beef with MMORPG reviewing the game–it's entirely their prerogative. I am interested in the way they contextualize. I could review a game like Darkest Dungeons in the context of other roguelikes and chose to praise it's innovation in moving to enterprise management over party management, it's pacing and mood, the art-style, etc. Or I could chose to review it in the context of party-based dungeon crawls (like Pillars of Eternity) and say the graphics are pathetic–SPRITES–the game play is pathetically slow, the balancing is all wrong with zero chance to develop characters, etc. The context for a review is critical.
A member of Ozem's Vigil, home to servants of Iomedae and her coming Paladins.
Duffy Swiftshadow
Doc
the key is to maintain some objectiveness with your subjectivity.

I think you just divided by 0.

It is certainly tricky.

For example if I was reviewing PFO I would say something along the lines of…

"It's an Early Access work in progress that's heavily dependent upon the early adopters and backers to help shape the game state and details of the planned features. With no wipes in the future it's an opportunity to not only shape the mechanics but shape the game world. Insert some simple explanation of the company and settlement interactions and their importance here.

However, it is currently very shallow in terms of available content and most likely will not keep solo players or small groups engaged. It's communities are it's strongest asset and getting involved with one of them has the best chance of keeping a new player engaged. If a rough early MMO experience is not your cup of tea you should probably wait until a later date. If your curious but don't want to commit 15 day trials are available from GW or players."

Imagine I elaborated a bit more on current and upcoming mechanics, just factual stuff. Bam didn't really praise it at all but still stated what it is and where it's going.
Wylder
MMORPG.com is not the MMO Players market, just a very small subset. A sliver of relevance. Think their ego outweighs their relevance. But that could be true of us as well.

A review would provide a snapshot of PFO from a separate point of view, and perhaps help identify some of the shortcomings in the game. I think there are loads of them, but they might see others we just overlook because we're used to ignoring them. Some of the technical issues such as choice of game engine are intriguing, especially for a game that wants a relatively large population. Did they say they took the Unity 4 engine and modified it? If so, what does that do to potential upgrades in the future?

Making the game better will do a hell of a lot more in adding to the player base than marketing on places such as MMORPG.com.

But in perspective, this is an Indie game, not a AAA title. Don't think it will every be a AAA title. And I think the group on MMORPG.com favors the big AAA title as their standard. You won't win over that group unless you provide something truly unique, and even then you'll still have that group of players that will hate it. Also think there's some personal issues being expressed against Ryan on that site; most likely from former PFO players who seem bitter about something.
Fanndis Goldbraid
I have gotten a lot of Buddy Key requests from MMORPG at least. Not many conversions, but the traffic has been steady. If you think the game is fun and you are paying a sub fee now, it would be helpful if you were on the forums outside of GW and Paizo talking to people about it. Many of the players who post regularly here want the game to succeed, but seem terrified of engaging the potential player base about the merits of the sandbox nature of the game, paying a sub for an incomplete product, and generally seem willing to accept whatever fate is in PFOs future without putting up a fight.

Go out and engage prospects. You do not need to be an over the top game loving fanboy. Just talk to the posters, engage them and tell them what you like and dislike. Many players love the idea of getting in a game early and helping shape its direction. More still enjoy the time based skill system (many other detest it, but those are the same players that hit level 50 in two days and bail for the next conquest…content locusts they are often called).

But grumbling in these forums about the state of the game and bemoaning "outside forces" being unreasonably critical without posting rebuttals seems strangely hypocritical.
Doc
One problem is you think posting a rebuttal actually helps. Ryan posted many "rebuttals" over there on MMORPG and has been soundly eviscerated on those forums. That community in general has a very negative attitude towards PFO now.

The best course of action? Not getting on the radar of one of the most toxic, yet influential MMORPG blogging communities in the first place. That crap, and the upcoming review, is all going to be indexed by Google indefinitely.

Marketing stuff (if not overt advertising campaigns) in this industry needs to be organic, or at least needs to be so well orchestrated that it feels organic. Trying to force it is a recipe for, well - today.

But grumbling in these forums about the state of the game and bemoaning "outside forces" being unreasonably critical without posting rebuttals seems strangely hypocritical.

I'll grumble all I want. And it's not hypocritical, I'm a customer with legitimate gripes, but also a fan that is disheartened by marketing ploys that are so amateur.
Nihimon
Maybe some people are just tired of waging "crusades against Bluddwolf", thankless job that it is.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
papapeta33
I think it's alarming that no one has even mentioned the biggest problem: The so-called CEO Ryan Dancey shooting from the hip on the MMORPG boards, posting whatever unvetted opinion/position he feels like, offering free/"comped" game time to individuals subjectively and/or inconsistently; and otherwise frankly failing to act like the leader of a small, but well-organized company with a vision should. His posts are random, poorly written/punctuated, and are generally in response to select questions/inquiries, i.e. those with an easy, soft ball response.

His iterated theme that PFO is "feature complete" and "not missing anything that could be considered essential" is an absolute joke, and it's destroying the credibility of us players, the Goblinworks team, and the game in general. The game is, at best, a rough shell with a gargantuan amount of potential. Portraying it as anything differently is disingenuous, incredulous, or both.

Ryan is starting to sound more and more like the erratic Jabroni who sank Greedmonger. The shitstorm review we'll get out of MMORPG will be salvegable; however, I fear the harm that is being caused by the company's CEO will not be.

Pro tip: Reel the company CEO in before he causes permanent, irreparable harm. Forum posts from official PFO personnel should be proofed, well written, and should *all* read with company unity and authority, rather than one guy going "off script" because he's having a bad day.
Doc
I don't believe Ryan has ever said the game was feature complete, rather he has mentioned in MMORPG.com forums several instances something to the effect that PFO had all the required components for a functioning MMORPG. Of course, to the MMORPG.com forums folks that is debatable.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post