Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

MMORPG Will Review PFO

Nihimon
papapeta33
His iterated theme that PFO is "feature complete" and "not missing anything that could be considered essential"…

Since you put those phrases in quotation marks, I assume those are Ryan's actual words. Can you link to where he's made those statements? It really surprises me that he would call PFO "feature complete".
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Tink says Stab
Not defending that quote, as I don't think it was what Dancey meant, but I imagine that he is referring to when Dancey said;

"Pathfinder Online is a fully-functional fantasy sandbox MMO. There are no key features missing. There are lots of features we are going to add, but they are features that are not central to the core game loops."

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/431018/page/4

Half way down.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Dreamslinger
Fanndis Goldbraid
If you think the game is fun and you are paying a sub fee now, it would be helpful if you were on the forums outside of GW and Paizo talking to people about it.

That's only really even worth doing if you are already active on other boards. Otherwise, people see your low post count and notice that your post history is full of PFO apologist posts and peg you as a shill.
Edam
There is a reasonable chance that the sort of player that follows MMORPG avidly will never like PFO even when it is fully featured and bug free.

As a somewhat silly example think how they would review "The Sims" the biggest selling PC game franchise of all time that can make millions just releasing an addon that lets players add cute fluffy animals as pets or wear different gear. MMORPG would presumably regard the game as boring and pointless.

The question for GW is do they actually WANT to compete in the cess pit with 20 other new titles for the same market as those sites cater for or do they want to create something different and carve their own niche? I think clearly the second.

A real world example might be do you open an identical coffee shop to Starbucks and the 6 others up the road because you know there is a market or do you create something unique which Starbucks customer may bag out but gets its own unique clientele.

In the end, it comes down to personal taste anyway. For example - I was hugely committed to RPGA 3.5 organized play, I wrote 3 of the popular modules used in our region, ran gamedays and travelled 1000s of km to GM at conferences including Gencon but despite trying Pathfinder and PFS a number of times and recognising it was a pretty awesome system (and far better than the abomination that was 4th Ed) which actually improved 3.5 in many ways it never really gelled for me.
Ryan Dancey
Far, far more people read threads on sites like MMORPG than participate. But there are lots of readers.
Tyncale
Tinkerton
Not defending that quote, as I don't think it was what Dancey meant, but I imagine that he is referring to when Dancey said;

"Pathfinder Online is a fully-functional fantasy sandbox MMO. There are no key features missing. There are lots of features we are going to add, but they are features that are not central to the core game loops."

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/431018/page/4

Half way down.
Well, I disagree with that then. Key features missing:

• Settlements actually being built on the base of DI and Bulk resource flows. Having precise control over what your Settlement can actually offer to members is a huge difference from the "fixed-template" settlements we have now.
  • Bulk resourceflows actually coming into play into the Economy and Politics.
  • The ability to Feud and wage War: this should lead to more focussed PvP that has an impact on Trade and Political relations. PvP with a direct consequence to a single Company losing a Holding or Outpost that again has a consequence for the Settlement, its DI and its Trade
  • Holdings and Outposts offering hooks for players with specific skills: this is coming soon but it's not in yet! Companies need hooks and rewards for operating as a unit. People should not feel that this game is only interesting if you lead a settlement. Again, this is obviously in the works.
  • Caravans and the ability to ship large amounts of goods and Bulk Goods: this is necessary so that Settlements are not Islands anymore, trying to cope on their own with everything.
  • Enchantment system: 8 slots of the paperdoll are currently unused because utilities are broken and the Enchantment system is not in yet: Crafters and Refiners are therefore exlusively focussing on a small section of the crafting range.
  • Threading: for a lot PvP folks this is an important feature: they want to be able to loot actual valuable stuff instead of 30 coal and 3 Goblin Furniture salvages. Threading means folks will finally have to make a choice of running around gimped by wearing nothing but an armor and a weapon, or actually decking themselves out with good (enchanted) gear, and risk losing some of that gear. Working Utilities and the Enchantment system are needed for this.
  • SAD, Factions and Banditry: this should endanger/enhance the gameplay around the resource-flows that still have to start happening.

Not so much key features:

Fast Travel, Alignment, Gushers, Bounties and Contracts, Global AH UI, "walking in interiors", more then a single buildinggraphics/Themes, horses, mini-dungeon-instances and a thousand other "not untill past OE though" features that have been talked about in the last 3 years. smile
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Ryan Dancey
Those are all features that will make the game better. They are not features that make the game function at a minimal viable level.
Brighthaven Leader
I don't think I have ever read a single review for an MMO.

To me, the concepts sell the game, and the community (which can be quite different between p2p or f2p). We have both, we just need to to realize those concepts. The game will sell itself in the future, and the community will create the foundation we need for new players to come in and enjoy the experience. I don't really see this review doing much harm or good over all, as a matter of fact it might do enough of both to even out. I just don't see this being a huge deal, in a year when the game goes to OE, that is significant enough to warrant another review, which we all know will be much different.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Tyncale
I honestly think (Bulk) Resource flows between Settlements and also between Outposts and Settlements are missing: I see this as the blood that needs to start flowing through the veins of a still inanimated body. That's when the game can come alive on several levels(PvP, Banditry, Trade and Transport Economy, Politics) imo.

That is a key feature for me. However, I am crafter and builder, so that's why I am here and having fun already. I am currently building that body. Still needs to come alive though.

(I am also expecting Frankenstein-like birth-throes when that body first comes alive: it will not be an instant "makes it all good" magic bullet)
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Quijenoth Starkiller
To be honest, the only feature I think was really lacking at release (and still is) is an intuitive and enjoyable chat interface, including mailboxes, company/settlement chat, and friends list with ability to see who is online.

Sandbox games are all about the community and to be honest 90% of the problems facing players inside the community is due to poor communication in-game. The venom and bitterness on the forums is mostly due to the fact people cannot easily communicate in-game. Just hypothesizing here but maybe even the Blackwood Glade incident could have been avoided if communication has easier.
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post