Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

MMORPG Will Review PFO

Tink says Stab
You know, counter intuitively enough, the long XP training times might actually be what keeps Goblinworks getting their money from me, should I ever stop playing he game. EvE Online uses the same system, and you see the same thing there. Let's say that I decide to stop playing for two months because the game is boring. Chances are I'm still going to run my subscription during those two months. Not doing so just puts me even further away from T3, and even further behind the power curve.

There have been multiple times in EvE where I left my sub running so that I could occasionally jump in and change my skill queue. Once you are in the system, you are more likely to stay within the system, if only because you don't want to fall behind. It lets them monotize their inactive player base.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Avari
I'm fine with the power curve turtle race. Much more appealing to me than endgame grind.
Tyncale
Tinkerton
You know, counter intuitively enough, the long XP training times might actually be what keeps Goblinworks getting their money from me, should I ever stop playing he game. EvE Online uses the same system, and you see the same thing there. Let's say that I decide to stop playing for two months because the game is boring. Chances are I'm still going to run my subscription during those two months. Not doing so just puts me even further away from T3, and even further behind the power curve.

There have been multiple times in EvE where I left my sub running so that I could occasionally jump in and change my skill queue. Once you are in the system, you are more likely to stay within the system, if only because you don't want to fall behind. It lets them monotize their inactive player base.

Yes, but wouldn't that psychology work even better if you got more bang for your buck and the xp curves of skills were a little flatter?

I am not advocating that we should be able to even come near any totally maxed out character. Even with the basic skill set we have today it would already take 76 years. Imagine how that will be 5 years from now. I just dont really enjoy how I already have to wait 8 days before I can train Penetrating Strike level 4 and then another 8 days for Vital Strike 4. This is 4 months into the game.

Edit: I just downloaded Nightdrifters newest version of his XP-calculator that now includes all the new Cleric skills and such and you now need 92 years to max a Character. smile
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Smitty
Would be a nightmare to code and even harder to explain, but I get what tink is saying.. so chalk this up to it would be cool if it could happen.. Its fun to buy new skills, but when your talking T2 skills and later T3 skills and you get to buy a one or two every month( or longer) it gets tedious..
Idea..
First 2 skills of a rank are listed at the given price, next 2 skills are 75% and the rest are at 50% of the xp price.
Would let characters master weapon groups for a weapon or spell line faster but keep the major speed bumps in place. Basically you learn things faster if you stay with a chosen weapon or spell line for caster types..
Edam
EVE currently takes 23 years to max every skill and the game has only been going for 10 years.
Decius
Right now players that are five months behind are using t1+0 gear while the day one characters who specialized are using t2+3.

In one year, the characters who started five months behind will be using t2+3, and only a handful of specialized characters will be using t3+3 gear.

In two years, the characters six months behind the start will be almost equal to day one characters, and only slightly ahead of the characters that came one year after EE start.
Edam
It's mainly EVE players who have stuck with it for a few years that will have a clear idea how this game will really work out.

In particular people from games where you grind stuff to max your character then kill people because there is nothing else to do and nowhere else to go until the devs release an update with new levels and gear and maps - at which point you grind for a bit, max your character, rinse and repeat ad infinitum - will have quite a mental adjustment in PFO.
Thod-Theodum
How much time does it take to be T2 in everything?

Thod is a gatherer rank 7 Forrester, Scavenger, Dowser (deliverately stayed on rank 6 miner so far) - so that is covered
Thod is a T2 longsowrd fighter
Thod is a T2 longbow fighter
Thod has two T2 armour options - pioneer for gathering/moving stuff - the default armour being Ornate Chain Shirt +2 and Unbreakable for cases when the only goes fighting
Thod upgraded HP to 11 and might lack in power
Thod has upgraded carrying capacisty as far as possible (would need CON 13 to go higher)
Thod has a little bit of dabbling in wizard (Speed and Strength spell - using especially the latter lately a lot - only way to carry 30 bulk goods)

I have a little bit of crafting (yes - he can do +3 basic strips because it was needed) and he seems to hold himself in a fight.

Reaching T2 is 'good enough' for most options. I likely will go low T3 for gathering eventually - also low T3 for armour and weapon. I might dabble in cleric (getting some healing) but he will never go up every crafting tree or every possible weapon.
He might learn one or two more armour classes for flexibility and maybe a second melee weapon. But I'm not expecting him eber to be able to do everything.

In contrast - my wife's character will carry on armoursmith as high as she can and as quickly as she can. Well - she isn't playing yet.

And I think here will be the issue: It is unlikely that a player will ever max out crafting with his main chacracter as it gets boring to wait and not to be able to do 'much more'. At the same time I see a trend to either leave or have multiple characters. This includes players who started after the KS.

Multiple characters don't fill the landscape - but they earn money for GW (apart of DT characters). T2 crafting is well in reach for players with single characters - T3 crafting is unlikely.

That leaves a 'fighter' who has 1 to 3 weapons maxed. Again - you might not max every single attack. Do I really use all possible longsword attacks or do I use predominately two or three and max out these and leave the others at a lower stage.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Doc
That leaves a 'fighter' who has 1 to 3 weapons maxed. Again - you might not max every single attack. Do I really use all possible longsword attacks or do I use predominately two or three and max out these and leave the others at a lower stage.

You'll probably max out even unused fighter feats to try and accumulate strength attribute for armor feat gates.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post