Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

New Character Classes/Races: A Matter of καιρός

Mbando
Ryan,

how far are we from the release of a new role or race? I ask because it doesn't appear that people outside our player-base see how continuous, steady, and powerful game improvement and feature release has been during EE. I think this would be a most timely moment to release/announce release of the kind of features the outside MMO community see as substantive. By no means is adding races/classes the most important thing GW can do with it's limited time–something like bulk resource generation/theft is more important in my mind than having barbarians in the game. But the former might be more urgent–it might be a persuasive and meaningful move, at the right time, to demonstrate the strong, consistent delta in the game that we as players see.

Me, I'm all kinds of jazzed about holdings and outposts. That has got me fired up, encouraged, and added a lot of enjoyment to the game at its present state. But that's because I get the game–what the endstate is, and where we are at moving towards that end state. I want to go on /reddit and recruit future paladins. But that's an uncomfortable position, when paladins aren't even in the game. Saying "Well, uhh, there's no paladins in the game yet. But One day, boy oh boy, they are! Trust me!", isn't exactly a rousing thing to say. Whereas "Paladins are not mechanically in right now, but they are adding in roles on a regular basis. Barbarians/Sorcerers/Whatever were just released, and they've committed to all the core classes," is a lot stronger.
A member of Ozem's Vigil, home to servants of Iomedae and her coming Paladins.
Wylder
Building up to the core races and classes should be at the top of the list. That's full feature to me for an fantasy MMO. Having a class unveiled one month followed by a race the next month would be sweet.
Stilachio Thrax
I'm also on-board with this. Pathfinder has a rich diversity of classes and races to choose from, and people will expect that with a Pathfinder MMO. New stuff that directly affects characters always generates more excitement than, say, bug fixes (even those fixing major bugs) or refining existing systems.
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Mbando
Ryan or any of the other devs want to chime in on this?
Daeglin
Wouldn't the time required for new graphics for a new race, including all the combat animations, updating for all the armor and gear, make this a huge undertaking? As in, change their road map of releases by months? The obvious low resource one would be the drow since, like duergar,it is just a skin tone alteration, but I suspect they are saving that for a new escalation event rather than PC. There are so many other core game features that iteration can make major quality of life changes to, I don't see a new race or class as a priority yet. I think its the core features that will retain people who try a buddy invite as opposed to an extra option.
Good… Bad… I'm the guy with the bow.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
I'm with Daeglin. I think new races are nice, but art intensive and would displace a lot of stuff.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Mbando
Daeglin
Wouldn't the time required for new graphics for a new race, including all the combat animations, updating for all the armor and gear, make this a huge undertaking? As in, change their road map of releases by months?

Daeglin, that's why I asked how close they are. On Feb 7, Goblinworks tweeted: "Our goal is to add roles for all the classes in the Pathfinder tabletop RPG as quickly as we can - 1 or 2 every few months." Then recently in a fireside chat Lisa told us they were working on and making progress on new roles, but I don't think she specified how close they are.

I think it makes a difference–if they're like 6 months away, oh well. But if they are reasonably close, it might make sense to push that.
Ryan Dancey
They are not scheduled at this time. It will likely be a while yet before we have a schedule ready.

I took a look at the Goblinworks Tweets for that time frame and did not see that statement, which makes sense because it's not something I would have said.

When we get ready to start adding roles, we would like to add them regularly. But we're not ready to add them yet.
Mbando
https://twitter.com/YortheMighty/status/564138245362307073
Saiph the Fallen
I haven't played in a bit, just curious are cloaks in yet?

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post