Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Inactive accounts and Company Influence Cap.

Tuoweit
Jokken
it wasn't too long ago Goblinworks was talking about f2p options post OE. I would think the two concepts would be in opposition long term.

Your concept of "f2p" is probably too narrow. If you can purchase game time from another player with in-game resources, then (in terms of real cash) you are actually playing for free. "Subscription" in GW-speak means having activated game time, whether that comes from paying a monthly fee or redeeming game-time items from within the game. Therefore, "f2p" and "subscription" are not mutually exclusive in GW's lexicon.
Wylder
The issue is lack of players. Period. The DT accounts and alts are what I'd call fluff to the numbers. They had to take that into account when they set it up.

Bigger settlement, bigger padding. I think overall it's a wash.

Would be interesting if they changed their subscription model to $15 for the 1st character/XP, $10 for the second, and $5 for each additional character after that. But even if they did this, they still have a player problem.
Tyncale
I proposed a tiered subscription model: A 5-dollar, 10-dollar and 15-dollar per month sub that will give you 1/3rd, 2/3rd or the full xp per month that we get right now. For the rest it stays the same concerning training characters and being able to play all 3 characters (but not simultaneously of course). That means you still need a sub to play one of your characters but you can lower the price if you are ok with a slower XP gain. The lower sub would be great for vets who figure they have a well enough rounded character that does not need a whole lot more xp to keep playing the game, or for people who only play occasionally and want to be able to log in from time to time to catch up with their buddies.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Lifedragn
Tyncale
I proposed a tiered subscription model: A 5-dollar, 10-dollar and 15-dollar per month sub that will give you 1/3rd, 2/3rd or the full xp per month that we get right now. For the rest it stays the same concerning training characters and being able to play all 3 characters (but not simultaneously of course). That means you still need a sub to play one of your characters but you can lower the price if you are ok with a slower XP gain. The lower sub would be great for vets who figure they have a well enough rounded character that does not need a whole lot more xp to keep playing the game, or for people who only play occasionally and want to be able to log in from time to time to catch up with their buddies.
Not a bad idea. Some might argue that this would be a pay to win to model. They may not be correct, but perception can be very harsh on a game that is already facing a lot of scrutiny. So I do not know if it would be a good idea for now or for later when things have come along more.
Doc
Most of the F2P games out there utilize a "Premium" account subscription with one of the perks usually being faster EXP accrual, probably something around the ballpark of 10% bonus exp.

With games like that, it generally works because the players with a lot of free time can stick in the F2P account but make up for the slower EXP gain by just playing more.

In PFO it wouldn't work that way, obviously, so who knows if people would go for it.
Atheory
Discussing GW change their subscription policy I find is pointless. Any suggestions just seem to be in response to the current issues of low population rather than the long term goals. It's just a sign of frustration which is understandable. $15 a month is the standard and I see no reason to adjust that now.

The real discussion, in my view, is whether EE warranted a subscription at all. But the XP gains are permanent. So, to me it's as simple as that.

I've no numbers to back this up of course, but I can see a lot of accounts as active, but inactively playing. Come Fall/Winter they will have tons of XP to spend and perhaps a more complete game to play as well.
Edam
Tyncale

Whilst I sort of like the idea in principle, the problem is this could be used to create a batch of single purpose low skill alts.

The economy is not big enough yet to have a batch of isoboxed hauling or gathering alts marching around in synchronised movement but that sort of sub model will encourage it.
Wylder
No discussions are pointless provided at least two people agree to discuss them. Forums are entertainment. A time sink. Sometimes a means to vent. Sometimes to share an idea. Calling it pointless is rather rude, condescending, and immature.

But it's fair to say that GW has the subscription model they intend to carry on with and may not change that. It's how they get their income, so taking advice from random people on an internet forum doesn't sound like a good business practice.

Still say this doesn't really address the lack of players. A free to play/premium account model could possibly work to obtain new players, but I dislike that option. FTP to say mid-tier 2 could draw some in and even get over the negative aspects of paying for an unfinished game that a lot of gamers hold against GW. Though I still think the majority of gamers won't play because of what they perceive the game currently lacks.
Atheory
@Wylder - I use to like you, now I love you.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post