Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

F2P?

Caldeathe Baequiannia
I have been making an assumption, based on F2P comments a long time ago, that when the game is OE, there will not be a box price. Did I interpret that correctly? Is the box price a gate on participation that is only intended to exist until OE, or will there still be a download price in OE?
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Ryan Dancey
There's no plan. We evaluate our options continuously and the market is changing quickly.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Good enough. I'll stop stating expectations about client cost in other forums.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Edam
The current box price should be waived for people upgrading a free buddy trial.
Oldtimer
Typically, the box price of an online game was needed to help recover development costs and a monthly sub was justified to continue the revenue stream for little things like updates, bug fixes and salaries, etc.
I don't have any problem justifying the cost of either the box price or monthly sub and would be less likely to play PFO if went F2P.
Flea
Oldtimer
and would be less likely to play PFO if went F2P.

Agreed!!! Free games end up attracting a much different type of player than is currently on PFO. This community is better than F2P communities. Its as simple as that.
Khorvak McTiernan
Concur. +50
Decius
I haven't seen a f2p model that would work with PFO except for the edge case of time-limited trials combined with PLEX.
Dreamslinger
I seem to remember reading something about the game eventually droping the subscription to play but with training requiring a subscription and certain bonuses to settlements only coming from accounts that were training.
I could see convincing friends that like PvP to buy the game and subscribe long enough to get into teir two and then just log in when there's a big fight brewing.
Nihimon
Dreamslinger
I seem to remember reading something about the game eventually droping the subscription to play but with training requiring a subscription…

Very early on, Ryan talked about how their thoughts on Free-to-Play were "evolving". At that time (a couple of years ago), he acknowledged that they would "have to" have a Free Trial, but were not likely to let you play without at least having one character on the account training XP.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post