Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Why PFO Matters

Edam
The real question is, if Albion already has that market covered why should this game try and compete for exactly the same customers rather than try and do something unique ?
Midnight
Edam
The real question is, if Albion already has that market covered why should this game try and compete for exactly the same customers rather than try and do something unique ?

It probably shouldn't. It lost the race.

If I had 20 million in the bank after the GW layoffs announcement, I would have tried to buy Goblinworks cheaply and finish the game.

And even then, that would have been an investment mistake compared to buying bitcoin back then. smile

Now, I ask myself…

What customers would buy PFO that aren't already playing Albion Online?

There are all kinds of ways to be "unique". But which forms of uniqueness are going to attract customers?

The only thing that makes this game unique right now is… it is probably the smallest "MMO" to require a subscription.

Ahh, intimacy, just what people look for in an MMO. smile

What else in the existing game, or the roadmap strikes you as both unique and marketable?
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Flari-Merchant
Both games have different flavors.
Visually they are different.
They have different over all community… lets call them "moods" for lack of better descriptors.
They both have very different mechanics to get you where you want character wise.

The same way that no two games are exactly perfect copies of each other, Albion may be a fine game in it's own way but it is not PfO. Well technically PfO isn't "Pathfinder Online The MMO", but it does have its own unique "feel".

Some games just do not "click" with some players. Alternatives are good for that spillage as niche fillers.
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Maxen
What make PfO unique is its close association to the Pathfinder brand. With the exception of WOW, I feel like many of the most successful theme park MMOs were based on an established brand, like Star Wars, or to a lesser extent, Lord of the Rings or Conan. But PfO is a sandbox based on the rich and diverse world of a table top game. IMO, the reason it was so heavily marketed to Pathfinder tabletop players was because Ryan and the devs possibly envisioned thousands of mini GMs creating content in their sandbox. That may have worked had the game been more polished when they started charging a subscription. I am a Pathfinder tabletop player here since day one of EE. What I believe is still needed (aside from social features required of any MMO) is more Pathfinder flavor. I also think some toolset to allow player-groups to create meanful advertures would be a huge benefit. To do that without ‘instances’ might be a challenge, but would be a great draw for many TT players.
Midnight
Bringslite-Dominion Soldier
They have different over all community… lets call them "moods" for lack of better descriptors.
They both have very different mechanics to get you where you want character wise.

The same way that no two games are exactly perfect copies of each other, Albion may be a fine game in it's own way but it is not PfO. Well technically PfO isn't "Pathfinder Online The MMO", but it does have its own unique "feel".

Some games just do not "click" with some players. Alternatives are good for that spillage as niche fillers.

Well, I intend to try Crowfall and others when they release, but Albion Online has become my reliable go-to MMO, now. (ESO had been my favorite, previously).

So, yeah, gamers are always looking for a "better" game.

I just don't see anything about the current PFO or the roadmap that strikes me as compelling, now that it will have to compete (in a category it would have had no real competition in if Open Enrollment had occurred on schedule).

I also think that many of you are fooling yourselves about how accepting gaming consumers are going to be about our years worth of headstart. If they are foolish enough to accept it, I'm well positioned, but I'm skeptical that many gamers want to jump into an inferior position and be our serfs.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Flari-Merchant
Midnight

Well, I intend to try Crowfall and others when they release, but Albion Online has become my reliable go-to MMO, now. (ESO had been my favorite, previously).

So, yeah, gamers are always looking for a "better" game.

I just don't see anything about the current PFO or the roadmap that strikes me as compelling, now that it will have to compete (in a category it would have had no real competition in if Open Enrollment had occurred on schedule).

I also think that many of you are fooling yourselves about how accepting gaming consumers are going to be about our years worth of headstart. If they are foolish enough to accept it, I'm well positioned, but I'm skeptical that many gamers want to jump into an inferior position and be our serfs.
Some(players) might be fooling themselves, I don't really know. My thoughts on that aspect have always been that the problem could be mitigated a bit by opening new lands to settle and mandating that only new players can set them up. Probably not easy to enforce such a mandate, but who knows? There are also plenty of "shell settlements" across the current map too.

If new players will not join a game as less than DAY 1 participants because some players will be more powerful than they, then MMOs should be designed as "campaigns" that open, run and get closed at the "End". But they don't do that and they are not generally designed that way. For some reason…
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
You are a Troll
Maybe making every new account a DT account would give new players more incentive to stick it out? Getting to try different things on two different toons both earning XP would go a long way to keeping people long enough to get pulled into a settlement and more deeply connected.
Flari-Merchant
You are a Troll
Maybe making every new account a DT account would give new players more incentive to stick it out? Getting to try different things on two different toons both earning XP would go a long way to keeping people long enough to get pulled into a settlement and more deeply connected.

0/ <— Gots my vote. smile Especially as an easy way to add value to a subscription and double the things that a player can really explore in a short period of time.
uotopia@msn.com
Edam
I vaguely remember the original idea was going to be adding a seconded subbed character or a third would be at a substantial discount. $10 for one character training $15 for 2 training sort of thing. Not 100% sure on that, it was along time ago.
Midnight
If new players will not join a game as less than DAY 1 participants because some players will be more powerful than they, then MMOs should be designed as "campaigns" that open, run and get closed at the "End". But they don't do that and they are not generally designed that way. For some reason…

You're describing the new Crowfall, to some extent. They are breaking new ground with their concept, we'll see how it sells. Total funding so far is $13.7 million dollars, with almost $3.9 million from pledges. https://crowfall.com/en/funding/
-Edmund Burke

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post