Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Why PFO Matters

Huran
Hobson Fiffledown
I wouldn't try and push is lower than $9.99 for the basic account (3 slots, one xp stream). From there, I'd suggest allowing up to two additional xp streams at $5 each per month. You cant price 5/10/15 because if you're going to spend $15, there's no reason to not have three $5 accounts and six more character slots. There's still a little bit of that going on in the price setup I'm talking about, but you'd have to pay more for those alts. And $5 is too cheap. OK…how's $9.95 sound? smile

On this model if a person bought 3 accounts and only paid $5 per account they would only have access to one character per account since this model is based off a per character sub rather than a per account sub. The advantage of paying for 3 separate accounts would be if a person wanted to have all 3 characters logged in at the same time. I suppose that may be able to be exploited somehow though and may not be the best approach.

I have seen other games long ago that used the per character approach and they seemed to be successful. $5 for a basic account may be too low to keep the lights on, but in theory if the game pulled in enough players then you could actually get more subs and end up getting not only more players but possibly more income as well. There is a lot of polish and a lot of work getting away from the current bad reviews ahead of us though.

"Circles of power, gathered by EARTH, welcomed by GOLD, in strife and in mirth. Focused by CRYSTAL, guided by LIGHT, showing the way, by day and by night. wrought in IRON, strengthened by STEEL, together we stand, in wrack and in weal. Hidden in SHADOW, explored by WOOD, we circle together, for the greater good." –Maxikyd– http://www.kotcguild.com/
Maxen
Hobson Fiffledown
I wouldn't try and push is lower than $9.99 for the basic account (3 slots, one xp stream). From there, I'd suggest allowing up to two additional xp streams at $5 each per month. You cant price 5/10/15 because if you're going to spend $15, there's no reason to not have three $5 accounts and six more character slots. There's still a little bit of that going on in the price setup I'm talking about, but you'd have to pay more for those alts. And $5 is too cheap. OK…how's $9.95 sound? smile

Maybe I’m not understanding here, but a $5 sub would give you 1 character slot earning XP. Yes, you could create three $5 individual accounts, all earning XP, or you could create one $15 account, with three character slots all earning XP. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. But at least someone who can’t, or doesn’t want to pay $15 a month would have options.
Maxen
Huran
Hobson Fiffledown

The advantage of paying for 3 separate accounts would be if a person wanted to have all 3 characters logged in at the same time. I suppose that may be able to be exploited somehow though and may not be the best approach.

Anyone can do that now if a) they can afford it and b) they have a system that can handle multiple clients. Exploiters gonna exploit. I prefer to believe that most players with multiple accounts aren’t here to exploit. Frankly, I wouldn’t have extra accounts if a) the population was large enough to support an economy and b) I didn’t have a chronic case of alt-itis. But I digress.

I’d rather see pricing options that are more attractive and then allow Paizo deal appropriately with players who violate the TOS. I don’t think running multiple clients should ever rise to that level, unless it’s truly hurting that game or other players.
Hobson Fiffledown
At 2000 players in this scenario (the Two of Thousands), GW's cost to host 6000 accounts would need to be the same as the cost of them hosting 2000 accounts. In the ten of thousands dream, that's 10,000 accounts or 30,000 accounts for the same revenue. But…I have no idea what GW's costs are or what their expected return is on getting PFO up and running.

Dofus charges $5 a month and they still have millions of players (despite the current downward spiral of population). Dofus looks and plays like a $5 game. Maybe PFO is a $5 game? That seems like a pretty drastic change from setting out to build a $15/mo game. Still, this is all on GW. I haven't seen them hemming and hawing over price…yet. I would guess that the OE rollout is going to be in line with the current sub and xp model, and that the monthly price only has a little wiggle room in it. Who knows?
This space for rent.
Flari-Merchant
Ugh… Tis true that we know little of PfO's server and bandwidth costs, nor how optimized client side operations are compared to server side.
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post