Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Fixing the Feud Mechanic so it can not be gamed

Midnight
One thing to factor in is that feuds can be declared before the leader can be certain who will be available.

As long as we're allowed to company hop (YAY!) having a dynamic feud cost is definitely the way to go.

I'm tempted to suggest the cost be based on who actually participates, but need to ponder how that would be gamed.

If TEO is only going to send 4 guys to take a tower, should their feud cost really reflect a 200+ member group in their feud cost? Maybe (because they have a better support structure behind those 4 champions gearing them up), but maybe not.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
thecrookedman
I think a few issues described above can be fixed by adding influence levels based on how long you have been in the same company. For instance a new player who joined a company will not add as much influence as a member who has been in the same company for a week. Obviously a cap for maximum influence one character can create is a must. For new members who are joining a company that is engaged in a feud, companies should have an option for the new player to sit out on the current feud or pay extra influence to include them. In total I think these steps might help solve the problems of a small company starting a feud and having an extra 30 people join for free PvP. My ideas might reduce company hopping so people will want to stay in the same company. This will decrease bandwaggoning from one company to the next.

I love company hopping for a variety of reasons (most not related to PvP). If only one company at a time could do an escalation hex, you'd see bandwaggoning there, too. The social folks this game attracted are going to jump on any bandwagon labeled Destination: Fun!

I do agree on the dynamic feud cost idea you cited, though. But that's just about fairness. I have no desire to curb company hopping.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Brighthaven Leader
There needs to be a better cost.

Dynamic is fine, but I believe there needs to be a minimum cost.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Edam
Midnight
If TEO is only going to send 4 guys to take a tower, should their feud cost really reflect a 200+ member group in their feud cost? Maybe (because they have a better support structure behind those 4 champions gearing them up), but maybe not.

That is an interesting question.

Numbers are always going to be the biggest force multiplier in the game and hence the groups that win the recruitment/retention battles will generally prevail over time. Currently 6 x one week old players cannot defeat even a single 4-5 month old T2 equipped char played well BUT a couple of 5-6 week old char in T2 gear definitely can.

Whether the game mechanics should mitigate this advantage and if so how and to what extent is something to discuss, though not necessarily in this thread.
Decius
Midnight
One thing to factor in is that feuds can be declared before the leader can be certain who will be available.
Why would a feud be declared if the person declaring it doesn't have reason to believe they will accomplish their objectives by doing so? (with 'their objectives' being decided by the person declaring the feud).
Midnight
Decius
Midnight
Why would a feud be declared if the person declaring it doesn't have reason to believe they will accomplish their objectives by doing so? (with 'their objectives' being decided by the person declaring the feud).

Because hope springs eternal?

Seriously, though. Players aren't dependable. A leader can't get on comms and tell his members' children NOT to hit their head on the sidewalk for the next hour (and be obeyed). They can't order Tornado Alley to stay calm for an appointed hour.

Feel free to think a leader should be able to roughly gauge the strength… that's reasonable… but please don't tell me you've never been surprised by the availability/unavailability of your crew, even by appointment.

That being said, such uncertainty may not be a big enough point to be important.
-Edmund Burke
Fanndis Goldbraid
Good points. I'd like to see the timer for a new feud be extended to at least 24 hours. Larger groups have the obvious advantage of having a greater chance for round the clock coverage. The starting timer is far too short, as is the lockout/re-feud timer. The defending company should have enough time to notify its members and set up a proper defense.
Yrme
Fanndis Goldbraid
Good points. I'd like to see the timer for a new feud be extended to at least 24 hours. Larger groups have the obvious advantage of having a greater chance for round the clock coverage. The starting timer is far too short, as is the lockout/re-feud timer. The defending company should have enough time to notify its members and set up a proper defense.

I think there's at least two types of feuds. One type is to take a tower or holding. Another type is to attack a company without taking territory: to attack a holding with the intent of seizing bulk goods (without getting the Criminal flag) or to just kill members of a company for some slight or trespass (without taking a Rep hit). Or to jump in on a feud that allies are involved with. Perhaps the starting timer should be longer on the territorial feuds, but remain short on the 'just killin' feuds.
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post