Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Why is influence required to PvP?

Midnight
Imagine that a group wants to come play PFO solely for the good fights.

As a new company their ONLY choice is engaging in unsanctioned PvP, or grinding PvE (that they have zero interest in) for the privilege of earning influence so that they can eventually engage in sanctioned PvP.

If they don't want to do PvE their only viable choice of constant influence is to gank hundreds of players a day to get influence from the Player Killer achievement and their weapon achievement.

We have a rep system that is meant to discourage rampant ganking, but an influence system that might actually channel PvP players into it who ordinarily would eschew ganking (but find grinding PvE even more distasteful).

So, is there a reason that we practically coerce PvE grinding? Why can't an orderly military company engage in the sanctioned PvP in this game without having to grind PvE, or having to engage in the ganking behavior the community and devs don't favor?

Before the introduction of influence, all a dedicated anti-ganking PvP company had to do was find an open PvP window. Since the introduction of influence that is no longer a viable path to sanctioned PvP.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Bringslite
Ready to be completely shocked Midnight?

I agree with part of what you have written there!

There isn't any way to go out and get some penalty free PVP without feuds. Right now anyway. There should be but we can't just expect GW to roll out all of the features and mechanics in a single or even a few patches. Even as we have all been patient, so must we all continue to be patient. Things are happening. Patches are rolling out almost twice a month.

What about your group that comes into the game and only wants some PVP action without hassles(or whatever they would call them)? Right now, they can wait or they can join a company or two that has some influence built up. A condensed look at the ways they could get influence (should they choose to work WITH the system) are: PVP (with penalties), PVE (including exploration), Gathering, and Crafting. If they really can't stand anything BUT PVP, then it is obvious that they are only willing to participate in about 25% of what the game offers for getting influence.

In that case, why should they get any more of a break than all of us get?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Quijenoth Starkiller
PvP awards social achievements - IMHO social achievements should reward more influence than any other.
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
I will add to this. The most frequent way to get a possible reward for PvP is to engage in Unsanctioned pvp. As soon as you feud a company, they will travel "fully threaded" and with empty pockets.

When I leave a settlement, I have zero fear of ever being engaged in PvP. As a matter of fact, I have zero fear of dieing because it is a very rare event. Even if I manage to die, usually in a large group doing an escalation, my loss is minuscule.

I wish they would include a voluntary flagging system (like originally advertised) and allow for ways to PvP with greater risk, reward and fewer costs or consequences.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Tuoweit
The various systems all tie together in order to create more social ties between players. The group of PvP'ers who only want to do that should find some PvE players who are willing to generate influence for them. In general, groups who only want to engage in a narrow portion of the game (whether that's PvP, PvE, or crafting) need to connect with other players interested in those other areas to cover all their bases or simply accept that they'll face extra difficulties.
Rynnik
From what I can gather I think factions is the mechanic being sought or debated as needed here.

Didn't they give more info about factions on the Paizocon weekend?
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Fanndis Goldbraid
Factions will do this, but it is not yet implemented.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
As Fanndis said. Factions will be a game changer. Until then, they are pretty heavily constrained, with joining a group that has already built influence. I expect it is hampering the size of the player base currently. Hopefully they'll get somewhere soon.

Part of me thinks, in hindsight, that Factions were probably one of the key mechanisms that should have been working on day one.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Midnight
Bringslite
Ready to be completely shocked Midnight?

If they really can't stand anything BUT PVP, then it is obvious that they are only willing to participate in about 25% of what the game offers for getting influence.

In that case, why should they get any more of a break than all of us get?

Exploration *is* what I will initially propose to such newcomers, because a fighting force ought to be willing to see the world, but so far that isn't a sustainable source of influence, and I doubt exploration will get them enough influence to feud.

In nearly all MMOs, the auction house is the device that allows players to engage in specialization. Dedicated gatherers can get everything they need by engaging in their one fetish and auctioning their rewards. Refiners… same. Crafters… same. Players who PREFER fighting brain dead AI monsters… same. Even banditry can engage in their specialized fetish and plausibly survive by auctioning their "rewards" through the auction house. So I don't think a military company would be asking for "more of a break than the rest of us get" for wanting viable specialization. All those other specializations are already viable and require NO influence to begin or continue their specialization.

5 months ago I was ok with the idea of asking such a military minded company to be patient. But requiring influence to PvP was a sudden and huge leap BACKWARDS for that specialization, when ganking and PvE are the only sustainable ways to gain influence. We basically just ELIMINATED open PvP windows across the map. I can't even tell a militaristic company to go take towers and wait for a response, anymore.

I really worry that we channel such a company into unsanctioned PvP (and then penalize them through rep as well as socially vilify them) when all they really want is meaningful PvP with intelligent cognizant WILLING opponents.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Tuoweit
Midnight
In nearly all MMOs, the auction house is the device that allows players to engage in specialization. Dedicated gatherers can get everything they need by engaging in their one fetish and auctioning their rewards. Refiners… same. Crafters… same. Players who PREFER fighting brain dead AI monsters… same. Even banditry can engage in their specialized fetish and plausibly survive by auctioning their "rewards" through the auction house. So I don't think a military company would be asking for "more of a break than the rest of us get" for wanting viable specialization. All those other specializations are already viable and require NO influence to begin or continue their specialization.

You're leaving out the bit where those crafters and PvE'ers need PvP players to protect their assets, just as much as PvP'ers need others for influence. You can't buy PvP'ers on an auction house.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post