Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Why is influence required to PvP?

Tigari
where did he say ANYTHING about a Pure PVP SETTLEMENT? All he's been talking about is a company..
Duffy Swiftshadow
I mentioned several times a pure PvP company should not really exist, the same as a pure PvE, crafting, or holding company should not really exist. They need to all be tied together, his argument is based around narrowing everything down to fit his desired rhetoric. Our argument is that the game does not seem to be designed with that in mind and many of us are here because we follow that philosophy. This is not a debate about 'facts' this is a debate about philosophy, this game's philosophy does not line up with his and thus doom and gloom is upon because of that, not for any of the other myriad of reason that could be possible.
Tigari
I think a pure company SHOULD be able to exist. They should be able to specialize in something and become known for it, Make it part of they Identity. But I do agree (and I think EVERYONE else does too), that a pure settlement should not.
Phyllain
You guys all take yourselves way to seriously.
Duffy Swiftshadow
A pure PvP company has nothing to risk then. They can float around doing their PvP thing to anyone who will have them, what value is that in game that is supposed to force meaningful interactions? It's not meaningful to just do the thing you want to do anyways. What good is 'sacrificing' chocolate if I don't like chocolate? There is no sacrifice, therefore there is no meaning in it. Accumulating a resource and deciding where to spend it is a careful decision built around sacrificing something. It's an even bigger deal if you are managing holdings, hell you could argue that a pure PvP company that just farms escalations for influence to fight other people is kinda B.S., but at least it pushes some risk onto it's host settlement.

Maybe they need to change how influence works a bit or figure out a way to tie a pure PvP company into the system if that is what they want to exist. But throwing everything else out to do it is certainly not the answer.
Tigari
Meaningful Interaction does not always mean sacrifice.. If a company decides to ONLY do pvp, then let them. If they belong to a settlement, and that's all provide, then so be it. Up to the settlement on how to handle it. Or if they want to be a Merc company, and all they want to do is PVP, they need a way to maintain there gear. Remember in the feature, Your gear will drop too (what you don't thread)
Midnight
Decius
Purely PvP settlements should not be able to exist. Settlement should have to be fully engaged with every aspect of the game- and currently they have to be in order to thrive.

Exploring the map for resource locations and quantities is already a major thing; gathering and crafting those resources is likewise critical; PvE is absolutely required, and in massive amounts if we are to ever make +5 holding kits. PvP to protect all of that.

None of those major types of gameplay can be effectively outsourced to a different settlement, although they can be done partially.

I am talking only of providing a pure PvP *COMPANY* options to engage in sanctioned combat PvP from day one through the first 2 months before they eventually have to join or seize settlements.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
Duffy Swiftshadow
It's not meaningful to just do the thing you want to do anyways.

and yet my gatherer character, Midnight, is still doing exactly that 5 months into the game. She gathers, and it costs her zero influence.

She doesn't need to interact with anyone, except through the auction house.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
Duffy Swiftshadow
Maybe they need to change how influence works a bit or figure out a way to tie a pure PvP company into the system if that is what they want to exist. But throwing everything else out to do it is certainly not the answer.

That's all I'm crowdforging for. A way for such companies to ply their specialization in those first two months without being channeled into villainy. It is absolutely insane to channel new PvP companies into unsanctioned PvP.
-Edmund Burke
Flea
No real reason for explaining why I think these changes are important because all the reasons are already covered in this thread somewhere…

That being said my proposition for changes to the feud system are as follows:

- Remove the need for influence to feud. Influence is already required for too much and it is simply to costly to feud with the need to place holdings/outposts and build settlements up in the future. Influence is too hard to get, especially for players who have been around a while, for this to be necessary for PVP in a game that was marketed as a PVP game.
- Give a cool down time for feuds that is significant enough to make a choice to feud meaningful, i.e. 1 week
- Make dura hits more costly for PVP deaths DURING feuds. 2x the cost would end battle more quickly and make equipment more meaningful.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post