Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Calling All Active Settlements/Companies/Players

MidknightDiamond
Daeglin
Unfortunately, as long as PFU faculty are members of other settlements as well, regardless of which settlement, the criticism of bias and stealth recruiting will persist. Hopefully someday PFU will have enough exclusive instructors that those criticisms will no longer apply.

Actually, I think our strength is in having many of the class instructors be from the other settlements so they can bring with them information about their settlements and companies. The students, and server in general, can talk to them, they can answer questions about their company and people can get to know them and their goals. PFU Faculty aren't going to be privy to many of the goings on and news and updates of other settlements, so having our guest lecturers also gives them a chance to update people on changes, upcoming events, and all that good stuff. Teaching a class isn't limited to some elite number of people we hand select. Anyone that has an idea for a class and wants to teach it need only contact Foxglove on here as he is the master of scheduling.
Aurora Silverstar, Pathfinder University Quartermaster & Explorer
Kiernan Silverstar, Aurora's lazy & good-for-nothing younger brother who just likes to blow things up.

PM MidknightDiamond on Paizo Forum
Daeglin
That's my point. As long as people are going there with the primary motivation to recruit rather then teach, PFU remains open to criticisms of bias. When the instructors are first and formost dedicated to PFU, it will not.
Good… Bad… I'm the guy with the bow.
MidknightDiamond
Daeglin
That's my point. As long as people are going there with the primary motivation to recruit rather then teach, PFU remains open to criticisms of bias. When the instructors are first and formost dedicated to PFU, it will not.

You can recruit and teach at the same time; all of our instructors have been doing it quite successfully to this point. If they're kind enough to give us their time and knowledge then they should be able to give their point of view on the world and politics in it as well as a pitch for their settlement. And then the next instructor will do the same. This allows the students to go "Hmm, I think I agree more with that philosophy than the other…" and have something to compare and contrast. If only PFU Faculty were teaching then they'd have only one view, one opinion. That's not good for anyone when we're trying to get them out to other companies and it'd more then likely result in them wanting to stay with us which would be a whole other argument.

The classes held by guest instructors are NOT the only teaching that goes on. The basics and day to day play of the game as well as the myriad of questions are answered by PFU Faculty (or any guests that happen to be in the mumble or beat us to the punch on the chat). The Faculty does plenty of teaching that isn't represented by just the mumble classes and thus those guest instructors become all the more important in order to help create a wider view of the world and the people in it.
Kiernan Silverstar, Aurora's lazy & good-for-nothing younger brother who just likes to blow things up.

Nihimon
Duffy Swiftshadow
I did start piecing together an idea for an organized PvP 'league' with seasons and brackets, but with the advent of Feuding and the removal of open PvP hexes that kinda became ridiculously hard to do.

Just a reminder that it's actually pretty easy to set up PvP matches where no one loses Reputation as long as you have an extra Character standing around.

Player A and player B each attack themselves once, then they each attack the bystander. They've now hit two white-named targets and both have the Attacker Flag, meaning they can attack each other without losing Reputation.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Baron Malthius
MidknightDiamond
You can recruit and teach at the same time; all of our instructors have been doing it quite successfully to this point. If they're kind enough to give us their time and knowledge then they should be able to give their point of view on the world and politics in it as well as a pitch for their settlement. And then the next instructor will do the same. This allows the students to go "Hmm, I think I agree more with that philosophy than the other…" and have something to compare and contrast. If only PFU Faculty were teaching then they'd have only one view, one opinion. That's not good for anyone when we're trying to get them out to other companies and it'd more then likely result in them wanting to stay with us which would be a whole other argument.

I am not against this by any means, and in fact I like the idea of factions being able to share more about themselves directly. Having said that, the thing is if that's the preferred way to handle it we simply need to make sure as many sides as possible get represented. I would agree that having only PFU's worldview available to new players would be a detriment. On the flipside I also think that if there is a disproportionate amount of representation for some factions or an under-represenation of others that would be a detriment as well.

Again, this is just my own two cents here. I'd still like to see a politics class in the near future.
MidknightDiamond
Baron Malthius
I am not against this by any means, and in fact I like the idea of factions being able to share more about themselves directly. Having said that, the thing is if that's the preferred way to handle it we simply need to make sure as many sides as possible get represented. I would agree that having only PFU's worldview available to new players would be a detriment. On the flipside I also think that if there is a disproportionate amount of representation for some factions or an under-represenation of others that would be a detriment as well.

Again, this is just my own two cents here. I'd still like to see a politics class in the near future.
I agree with you completely and anyone from any settlement or company that has an idea for a class is welcome to work with Foxglove to get on the schedule. The problem is, we can ask people from every settlement to participate, but not everyone is going to answer that. Some don't have the manpower, some don't have the time, some just simply don't want to. That's the unfortunate reality of it. The only way we can continue to combat that is to keep inviting people. It's not like we can only have one class per day, we could have multiple things go on in a day if we get that much active participation - could have more than one instructor per topic to give a bit of variety and more of that multiple viewpoint exposure.

This is our sandbox, our limits are only what we make them.

Duffy Swiftshadow
As one of the only regular PFU lecturers who does not belong to PFU I will wholeheartedly say that any complaints of bias are ridiculously overblown. I give a 30 sec spiel about who I am and what settlement/company I belong to at the beginning and at the end (usually someone has to prompt me to even give the closing one) and the rest is all class and discussion of the topic on hand, many of my classes easily go two hours between the lecture itself and the Q&A/discussion afterwards.

Do you think an entire class on game mechanics and how keywords and feats work is somehow a recruiting pitch?

While I cannot vouch for the every other class the ones I have caught have shown no particular bias. Regardless of where I was or what faction I belonged too or even if I wasn't allowed to say a thing about my settlement I would still do the lectures, but I'm not gonna join PFU permanently to do them.

The inherent negativity of your continually stated view is troubling. What should PFU do? Doll out graduates on some sort of quota? You want to recruit people get out to where the people are, be a face or name they know or hear about. Though I do it all the time and it gets me squat outside of personal satisfaction at helping people so I dunno what there is to complain about.
Rynnik
If you folks want I could volunteer to give a completely unbiased politics rundown for PFU students on some sort of desired regular basis.

Not sure if that would help or not but I certainly don't mind volunteering time and effort to help out new players and PFU.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Duffy Swiftshadow
The inherent negativity of your continually stated view is troubling.
It's not clear who this is aimed at, Duffy. If my suspicion is correct, and it is Daeglin, it might be worth noting carefully his repeated use of "remains open to criticisms." Sometimes human being state a position, not because it is of particular concern to them, but out of how things are perceived by those around them. Some of the concerns expressed on these boards are a filtered version of the concerns of people who never post here. Some of those expressions are quite vehement.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Daeglin
Duffy Swiftshadow
The inherent negativity of your continually stated view is troubling. What should PFU do? Doll out graduates on some sort of quota? You want to recruit people get out to where the people are, be a face or name they know or hear about. Though I do it all the time and it gets me squat outside of personal satisfaction at helping people so I dunno what there is to complain about.

It's not meant to be negative, it's meant to be informative. In the real world, teaching is one of the most effective ways to recruit people to your cause. The entire conference/sales rep industry is based on this. I am sure, that just as in real life, teaching at PFU has great potential to aid recruitment to a home settlement. Obviously PFU believes this too as that is the mantra used to encoumrage volunteers to come teach. Again, I'm not saying that is bad, it is a viable choice to get PFU going. But you can't then say PFU isn't influencing where it's students go while using that carrot to get instructors. None of this is meant to detract from the usefulness of PFU in educating new players or belittle the efforts of those providing the service.

What I thought was a rather basic explanatory comment has morphed into something else entire. I obviously haven't done a good enough job explaining myself and at this point it doesn't seem worthwhile to belabour it.
Good… Bad… I'm the guy with the bow.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post