Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Influence at Higher PC levels

Bringslite
Rynnik
Bringslite
Rynnik
Bringslite
is it a good idea that they earn the majority or certainly a good part of a careers worth and leave it at the University?

Isn't that conflicting with the design? I am fairly sure that the design came before the University was started.
We want players that have learned some basics through PFU. That is a good thing for us and WAY more important than the influence aspect of who we recruit (we have actives that gain influence all the time as a natural course of playing the game anyways).

If you want influence that desperately then go recruit them before they join PFU. Not because PFU packs up and empties the playing field so you have an easier time picking up a few in the vacuum, rather because you put yourself out there, put some WORK into it, and develop strategies that work to attract and retain new players.

PFU isn't bad for the game, the community or the design. If you want something then go do it rather then whining on the forums that the sandbox isn't handing you something on a silver platter.

Yeah, Rynnyk. I don't have any problem with the concept or results of the University's activities. I think they are great and probably save more that try the game than might otherwise try and leave in frustration.. As I posted a bit back up there unless there is a problem that we might not even see for a little while between mechanics, time, and influence.

Lets see…. thinking here… Sorry, I just am in too good a mood to throw any nasty comments back at you. Try again later.

That is almost as interesting of a response as Howard throwing up his hands in the other thread and declaring he isn't a recruiter so why should he have to recruit to get recruits.

Ozem's Vigil's problem isn't PFU. It is Ozem's Vigil.

That isn't a nasty comment either. That is just frank helpfulness because you have every opportunity to fix every element of what you have outlined as problems or concerns within your own means. Other folks are doing it. You can too. If you want to. Nothing you have said is a game mechanic or a problem of another organization. It is a problem of your organization.

You guys spend way too much time seeking perceived insults and not nearly enough time trying to figure out if some one with a perspective divergent from your own might actually have a point.

We have all of the influence points that we need. The "what should be a friendly discussion" about new players and influence isn't for our sole gain, though I can tell you we will want more eventually.

Also, I would like to point out that I am not HowardWdW. I am just Me.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bringslite
Rynnik
Bringslite
Rynnik
Bringslite
is it a good idea that they earn the majority or certainly a good part of a careers worth and leave it at the University?

Isn't that conflicting with the design? I am fairly sure that the design came before the University was started.
We want players that have learned some basics through PFU. That is a good thing for us and WAY more important than the influence aspect of who we recruit (we have actives that gain influence all the time as a natural course of playing the game anyways).

If you want influence that desperately then go recruit them before they join PFU. Not because PFU packs up and empties the playing field so you have an easier time picking up a few in the vacuum, rather because you put yourself out there, put some WORK into it, and develop strategies that work to attract and retain new players.

PFU isn't bad for the game, the community or the design. If you want something then go do it rather then whining on the forums that the sandbox isn't handing you something on a silver platter.

Yeah, Rynnyk. I don't have any problem with the concept or results of the University's activities. I think they are great and probably save more that try the game than might otherwise try and leave in frustration.. As I posted a bit back up there unless there is a problem that we might not even see for a little while between mechanics, time, and influence.

Lets see…. thinking here… Sorry, I just am in too good a mood to throw any nasty comments back at you. Try again later.

That is almost as interesting of a response as Howard throwing up his hands in the other thread and declaring he isn't a recruiter so why should he have to recruit to get recruits.

That isn't a nasty comment either. That is just frank helpfulness because you have every opportunity to fix every element of what you have outlined as problems or concerns within your own means. Other folks are doing it. You can too. If you want to. Nothing you have said is a game mechanic or a problem of another organization. It is a problem of your organization.

You guys spend way too much time seeking perceived insults and not nearly enough time trying to figure out if some one with a perspective divergent from your own might actually have a point.

Haha! +1 That is a good way to point out that I was spelling your handle incorrectly. My apologies, it wasn't intentional. I fixed it where I can edit.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Rynnik
Bringslite
Rynnik
Bringslite
Rynnik
Bringslite

We have all of the influence points that we need. The "what should be a friendly discussion" about new players and influence isn't for our sole gain, though I can tell you we will want more eventually.

I know who both you and Howard are.

I also understand some of your motivations.

I have no idea however how you think anything you say would bring anyone to a conclusion that there is problem, much less one that needs to be addressed. You need to state and support an actual argument about it and be clear what you are looking for. Especially if you want to create one that will outweigh at any level the service that PFU provides for this game and all of us in it.

Again the friendly helpful answer to the position both you and Howard have posted (the two different people that you are) in different threads recently is that Ozem's Vigil has some WORK to do or it will and should cease to be an organization within this sandbox game.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Edam
I am probably making a rather obvious point here but its possible to "game" the influence system by creating 1000 point alts and killing goblins with a variety of weapons for a day (or standing around in an escalation party swapping weapons every once and awhile) and deleting them before every downtime, rinse and repeat.
Bringslite
Rynnik
Bringslite
Rynnik
Bringslite
Rynnik
Bringslite

I know who both you and Howard are.

I also understand some of your motivations.

I have no idea however how you think anything you say would bring anyone to a conclusion that there is problem, much less one that needs to be addressed. You need to state and support an actual argument about it and be clear what you are looking for. Especially if you want to create one that will outweigh at any level the service that PFU provides for this game and all of us in it.

Again the friendly helpful answer to the position both you and Howard have posted (the two different people that you are) in different threads recently is that Ozem's Vigil has some WORK to do or it will and should cease to be an organization within this sandbox game.

What's eating you Rynnik? Get it out. I don't see any reason to do this stupid back-and-forth like 12 year olds.

Let's see …

I would like to see a timed test between a roughly "filled out" advanced character that has already claimed all or nearly all of their "low hanging fruit", equipped as they like and are trained for, vs. a brand new character still wet behind the ears. It would be more realistic a test if the new character was supplied with any and all gear that he/she could make use of. Just as if they had joined a very supportive settlement.

In any given 3 hexes and an equal amount of time, who could gain the most influence points?

Did you see that I posted this back up there? That could be one way to see demonstrably whether there is even a reason to be having (what really isn't) what could be a regular discussion. Why do you suppose I would post something like that, Rynnik?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Rynnik
Bringslite

This is what I have been responding to as I originally quoted you.

Bringslite
What's eating you Rynnik? Get it out. I don't see any reason to do this stupid back-and-forth like 12 year olds.

Let's see …

I would like to see a timed test between a roughly "filled out" advanced character that has already claimed all or nearly all of their "low hanging fruit", equipped as they like and are trained for, vs. a brand new character still wet behind the ears. It would be more realistic a test if the new character was supplied with any and all gear that he/she could make use of. Just as if they had joined a very supportive settlement.

In any given 3 hexes and an equal amount of time, who could gain the most influence points?

Did you see that I posted this back up there? That could be one way to see demonstrably whether there is even a reason to be having (what really isn't) what could be a regular discussion. Why do you suppose I would post something like that, Rynnik?

Not sure why you think that constitutes something eating me.

You will note I ignored the italicized part (which I didn't quote at any point). Test away if you like. I don't have a comment on that aspect of it.

Regardless of influence, questioning PFU's existence in regard to game mechanics ignores a huge aspect of our community and responsibility to new players. Even if it was conclusively proven that PFU's influence gain was a bad thing for folks (guess what - it isn't because you can just work around it) it would in no way support your supposition that game design and concerns we have point to PFU not fitting our sandbox world.
Bringslite
I think that is a valid question. Not really sure why you might think that it is a self motivated one. Did you imagine that Ozem's Vigil will or think that we will get all of the Grads from PFU from now on?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Rynnik
Bringslite
I think that is a valid question. Not really sure why you might think that it is a self motivated one. Did you imagine that Ozem's Vigil will or think that we will get all of the Grads from PFU from now on?

Howard was certainly clear what he was thinking.

I find your posts pretty easy to understand as well.

I don't imagine Ozem's Vigil will get anyone unless they make a few fundamental changes.

I also don't think that is a fault or indication of problems in the games systems with influence or anything else.
Bringslite
Rynnik
Bringslite

Howard was certainly clear what he was thinking.

I find your posts pretty easy to understand as well.

I don't imagine Ozem's Vigil will get anyone unless they make a few fundamental changes.

I also don't think that is a fault or indication of problems in the games systems with influence or anything else.

Interesting. You think that I am advocating that PFu should be closed because I posted in that thread? The worst (if there were a problem) that I might suggest would be some kind GW magic to allow students to keep and leave with their influence or only have it "activate" when they moved to some company.

When you post that trying to discuss things is whining, or assume and go with the BS that it is brought up to benefit only the OP's settlement…. well… what the hell are you thinking? You keep saying that it is an Ozem's problem that Ozem's needs to fix… Well like I wrote before: Wil Wheaton has a message for you.

I am continually amazed at the great socially friendly atmosphere you engender on the forum here. Carry on.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bringslite
Duh duh Double.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post