Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Influence at Higher PC levels

HowardWdW
If you would stop Ozem bashing and actually READ what this thread is about, you would see that this thread is about INFLUENCE, how it is gained and how it is spent. It is not about Ozem's at all. It isn't anti PFU either.

In my second post I clearly state how influence will be drained more rapidly by PvP than the current server population will be able to replenish. I also said I'm not even a player who likes PvP. So you know what, go ahead and dismiss my ideas. It will suit Ozem's just fine that you are unable to sustain feuds against us.
Tyncale
Edam
I am probably making a rather obvious point here but its possible to "game" the influence system by creating 1000 point alts and killing goblins with a variety of weapons for a day (or standing around in an escalation party swapping weapons every once and awhile) and deleting them before every downtime, rinse and repeat.
When the Desperate Goblins were still in, this certainly crossed my mind too, since they were so easily abusable for fast inf gain by lowbie characters. I could see Influence being sold for RL money, by players creating such Ghost companies using the 1k XP alts from a bunch of accounts, build up Influence in the manner you explained and then "sell" the company to someone who needs a big chunk of influence. Invite player who paid into company, make him leader, enter the rest of his friends/company who were in need of Influence, Exit all the 1k xp alts, and voila. Rinse and repeat.

This would probably be more in demand then ingame gold. But hopefully we will see mechanics that will make this more exploit-proof. Those 1k alts sure need some revisioning at some point.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Rynnik
Since you seem bent on sticking with your myopic narcissism so let me try and outline this for you in a way that might bypass a couple of the cognitive filters:

Howardlite: Influence sucks. We think it is because a bunch of it is staying at PFU when new players start the game.

Rynnik: Naw, you gave a bunch of strong indicators that your size, activity, and efforts are more to blame for your influence problems then anything to do with PFU. And even if it did PFU's pluses completely eclipse that specific concern.

Howardlite: This isn't about Ozem's. Stop saying it is about Ozem's, okay. We just want to talk about this but not Ozem's.

Rynnik: Well try these sandbox actions that completely mitigate or bypass the concerns you are describing with PFU and influence.

Howardlite: We don't want to. Why aren't you listening? We can just tear down what another player has actually successfully built and maybe be okay without changing anything we are doing. I mean not REALLY tear down. We are too good for that. We'll just attack on the forums because it is friendlier.

Howardlite: BTW Rynnik why are you so mean on the forums. We don't stand for that sort of thing around here.

Rynnik: <3
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
HowardWdW
I think it's best if my "cognitive filters" just filter you out. Enjoy the game.
Rynnik
HowardWdW
I think it's best if my "cognitive filters" just filter you out. Enjoy the game.

You too, mate. Maybe things will turn around for you any day now!
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Flea
Edam mentioned earlier that this system could be gamed easily by creating>grinding>deleting 1000xp alts.

This is of course possible and it will be used by everyone who needs quick/easy influence.

In my opinion, any highly restrictive system is always going to be gamed by those who want to do things the easy way rather than the hard way… and let's face it, this is a game, not a job. I, for one, want to have more time for fun and less time to play a game that stated that is catered to all play styles in only one certain style most of the time just so I can get back to what I want to be doing.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
This is early enrollment; I always envisioned it a bit wild-westish, with some people doing whatever they think they can get away with. It can be gamed at the moment, but since the systems need testing, that doesn't bother me in the least. In the long run, I expect that there will be controls. Perhaps characters not earning XP will not be generating influence. I'm okay with people using new alts to get influence to feud, especially while everything they invest in a feud is getting eaten up.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Lee Hammock
We're not likely to change the gain of Influence to be higher for higher level characters relative to lower level characters. We're more likely to change the costs of feuds and such so they fit better within the Influence economy if we see there is a problem. Currently the bugs with regaining Influence from feuds is such that we don't have a good idea of this, but we're working on it (and we've got a plan for giving people back Influence lost to bugs).
Tyncale
It seems to me that Influence is going to be a costly asset: considering the fact that Veterans with thousands of kills under their belts only generate it at a snails pace, and it mostly relies on the efforts of brand-new players (but not the crafters amongst them!) it almost seems as if it is going to be a finite asset too. That is going to be a problem when Influence is also an expendable asset.

I am sure we all want this game to attract a million newbies but even then, MMO's tend to become top heavy with veterans over the years anyway. How will that work? New players are a finite asset too and they will only generate a lot of Influence in their early life. PvP, Feuds and Wars, and the creation of New Companies will be a constant thing though, so I foresee a huge deficit in this resource that is called Influence.

I think more activities should generate Influence and the costs should indeed be looked at. For instance, putting down a Holding could generate a nice chunk of Inf; or a succesfull theft from an Outpost; or the succesful conquering of a Holding could actually give you back a nice chunk of that 20% that you will lose for the feud: that way success gets rewarded while futile feuding for no good reason gets penalized with the full 20%.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Lee Hammock
We definitely want to have more things that generate Influence in the game. The problem is what actions we can detect easily for doing so.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post