Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Escalations can only apply strength from stronger hexes to weaker hexes for both infection and reinforcement

Bob
Earlier today in-game, a player (I believe it was Sperin) asked me whether the restriction on infected hexes only reinforcing from stronger hexes to weaker hexes also applied when attempting to infect a neighboring hex. In other words, could you prevent a hex from hitting its infection threshold by knocking its already infected neighbors below that threshold first? I did some testing and the answer is yes, the restriction applies to infection as well as reinforcement, so this is a valid strategy.
Decius
And to confirm, hexes which have not reached their infection threshold cannot reinforce?
Mistwalker
I listened to the Paizocon presentations and have a question, as my interpretation is a bit different from a settlement mate.

Assuming that the surrounding hexes are at 100% and a group is trying to clear a source hex, which, if any (smile), of the two options below is correct?

A) The source hex infects and is reinforced only the 6 hexes surrounding it. A 100 hex sized infection does not have 100 hexes adding strength to the source hex, only 6.

b) All infected hexes reinforce the source hex.
Tuoweit
Thanks for looking into this, Bob!
Bob
Decius
And to confirm, hexes which have not reached their infection threshold cannot reinforce?

Correct. But once they've reached their threshold, dropping back below it doesn't make them stop reinforcing.
Bob
Mistwalker
I listened to the Paizocon presentations and have a question, as my interpretation is a bit different from a settlement mate.

Assuming that the surrounding hexes are at 100% and a group is trying to clear a source hex, which, if any (smile), of the two options below is correct?

A) The source hex infects and is reinforced only the 6 hexes surrounding it. A 100 hex sized infection does not have 100 hexes adding strength to the source hex, only 6.

b) All infected hexes reinforce the source hex.

Option A is correct. Reinforcement and infection only occurs between directly neighboring hexes.
Edam
Bob
Decius

Correct. But once they've reached their threshold, dropping back below it doesn't make them stop reinforcing.

Is that by design choice or just a side-effect of the way it is implemented mechanically.
Bob
Edam
Bob
Decius

Is that by design choice or just a side-effect of the way it is implemented mechanically.

That's a design choice. Until the hex reaches its threshold, it's not really considered infected, more like under attack. Once it hits the threshold, it's fully infected and starts doing all the escalation behaviors (infecting, events, reinforcing, spawning mobs). Once infected, the threshold is no longer relevant to that hex. Only dropping that hex to zero will remove the infection and stop all the escalation behaviors.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post