Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Holdings and Training

Tyncale
Thanks Lee. So what does it mean then if you have a Settlement at level 14? I assume that Settlements will still have to pick and choose which training buildings they put up? Is the settlementlevel tied to these buildings or can these buildings be "leveled" up independently from the settlement level, at the cost of DI and coin/resources? Would the settlementlevel have to with Walls and Guards rather then level of training?

Also, is it still in the plans to make training a depletable asset, or is this one of the things for the far future that you talk about?
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Lee Hammock
Once the full settlement system comes in you will not have a settlement level, but each structure in the settlement will have it's own level and you will choose what you build and what you upgrade independently. Effectively settlement level as a concept goes away at that point.

We haven't talked about making training a depletable asset in a long time. Sometime I would like to do that, but I have a lot of fish to fry between now and then.
Kitsune
Lee Hammock
Once the full settlement system comes in you will not have a settlement level, but each structure in the settlement will have it's own level and you will choose what you build and what you upgrade independently. Effectively settlement level as a concept goes away at that point.

We haven't talked about making training a depletable asset in a long time. Sometime I would like to do that, but I have a lot of fish to fry between now and then.

Oh! I was getting a bit confused with your last post until now. Thanks for clarifying - this sounds MUCH more like what the original design called for. Awesome.

Whew.
Tyncale
Thank you, Lee. I appreciate the freedom that the changes to support will be giving. I think coralling players into a certain settlement just because that settlement happens to support their feats is not the best way to create a Settlement Community anyway. It is good that a more natural flow is allowed when it comes to friends, groups bonding and such.

I *am* wondering about how close-knit Settlement Communities actually will become though, and how attached players will be to a certain Settlement/location on the map. And as a direct consequence of this bond, how much they are willing to defend that Settlement. Now that they can find support for their feats pretty much everywhere, opportunistic Settlement-hopping may become a thing.

What will tie players to a certain Settlement?

• Your friends: undoubtedly the most important reason to stay put somewhere.
  • Settlement-specific flavor: your settlement may be doing a lot of events or roleplay, and you like it.
  • Economical reasons: the settlement may be in a location that favors your activities as a Trader or Crafter.
  • Political reasons: you just love it how your settlement is dangerously close to trouble all the time, or maybe to the contrary, how it is far away from the most active War zones in the game.
  • Geographical reasons: you happen to like the area you are in, nicely tucked in between the mountains, or with that yummy Moloch Home-hex nearby.
  • Your sheer volume of Encumbrance in the Settlement Vaults makes sure that you go nowhere……

Why is this important? Because people should care if their settlement gets sieged and possibly burned to the ground. If they do not care but just hop to the next safe place, then there's not much point to the game, I guess. smile
Will reputation-level of the settlement still be a thing? As in how a Chaotic Evil Settlement would basically be gimped and so would be their members? Because if such a settlement still supports all feats up to level 20 then I do not see how that would work.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Lee Hammock
We have some other mechanics I don't want to discuss yet as they are more in the conceptual stages, but the long and the short of it is a passive bonus to characters based on the structures in their settlements.

Settlements will be able to set their minimum Reputation to enter the settlement safely and use their structures. This number must be higher the better structures you want, so a settlement of people who do a lot of unsanctioned PvP will be a wretched hive of scum and villainy with poor training and other benefits, plus they won't be able to enter or use the services of other settlements. We've talked about some other Reputation mechanics too, but that's the big piece.

A Chaotic Evil doesn't have to be low Reputation. If they join the CUlt of Lamashtu faction once factions come online they will have plenty of people to fight in sanctioned PvP.
Kitsune
Lee Hammock
A Chaotic Evil doesn't have to be low Reputation. If they join the CUlt of Lamashtu faction once factions come online they will have plenty of people to fight in sanctioned PvP.

This bit right here will make many, many people happy.
Tyncale
Lee Hammock
We have some other mechanics I don't want to discuss yet as they are more in the conceptual stages, but the long and the short of it is a passive bonus to characters based on the structures in their settlements.

Settlements will be able to set their minimum Reputation to enter the settlement safely and use their structures. This number must be higher the better structures you want, so a settlement of people who do a lot of unsanctioned PvP will be a wretched hive of scum and villainy with poor training and other benefits, plus they won't be able to enter or use the services of other settlements. We've talked about some other Reputation mechanics too, but that's the big piece.

Thanks! My biggest worry is that it will be very easy for any player to get his training maxed because it is so easy to regenerate your rep, join a settlement that offers training, and then go wild again. The only drawback being that after your ruin your rep again, you can not enter "High Reputation" cities, but those people will not care much about that. What will the incentive be for these people to maintain their buildings in Slum City? They can use the high level buildings of other cities for training after all(just regenerate rep for a while): and this training-capability seems to be the most important benefit of all the work a settlement puts into its Holdings and use of Bulk Resources.

Next to that, from a character-viewpoint, the passive bonus seems to be the most important reason to keep your citybuildings high level, so I hope these are worthwhile. From a Settlement viewpoint, I am assuming that these Slum-towns will have crumbly walls and low level guards? And I guess other utilities will be sucky too, like a AH that can not offer all services if they choose to have one.

As to the *real* reputation that people will have: I am sure these Rep-bipolars will be identified quickly enough(bumping up rep and city-hopping when they need training) but I am also sure there will be cities who have high Rep and will look favorably on these people and allow them to train, even if they are the ones doing the hard work to keep their Training buildings high level. Making Training a depletable asset would make this more of a "meaningful choice" for such a High Rep settlement.

Not saying all of this is bad! Some of it could be intended: like wage War with that "scum-loving "High-reputation" city.

Looking forward to more Settlement mechanics and also Factions! smile
Quijenoth
Just want to throw an idea into the pot. Would it not be possible to add settlement reputation to characters?

This would track up and down and would directly affect your ability to train in a settlement.
While your in settlement A you increase your settlement rep with A.
For every X amount of rep you gain 1 level of training up to the maximum offered by that settlement.
Leaving the settlement for settlement B causes the rep to diminish, over time it will drop to 0, once at 0 you can then earn reputation within a settlement B.

Linking it in with the influence system may also be beneficial.

You could also allow settlements to set the value of X, thus those settlements wanting dedicated people will have a high number and those with open doors will have a low number.
Tyncale
I like it. Let the Rep-wreckers work a bit for the good of the community if they want Training-levels. smile

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post