Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

PVP is Bullying

Nihimon
Not all PvP is bullying. Some PvP - even in an Open World PvP Sandbox - is bullying.

The Seventh Veil has long held that "random player killing" ( despite the protestations of those who embrace it that it's not "random" ) is something we don't condone in our membership, even though we recognize it's necessary, right, and good that the game allows it.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Hobson Fiffledown
I'll file the no PVP arena areas with the armor movement speeds being equal. smile

There would be quite a few social costs to playing in Rotter's Arena. Also, fighting to control an npc settlement would add more meaningful PVP than the fighting pit could take away.
This space for rent.
Edam
It is all a matter of semantics.

Harassing a player or group of players to force them to change settlements, quit the game or avoid a certain part of the map is bullying. It may also however be legitimate gameplay, it certainly is in EVE. People just do not like the negative connotations of the label.

Of course legitimate bullying is not necessarily good for the game, especially in these early stages. People have differing views on that.

Note that even in EVE where groups like CODE are seen as legitimate, contriving a fake roleplay or political excuse simply to allow you to persecute an individual or group for tears and your own jollies can see you cop a ban. CODE in EVE tread a very fine line and go to great efforts to keep their standover tactics legitimate.
Bringslite
There are places in this world where the gatherers, those who like PVE, the builders, the crafters, and the merchants rarely see roaming PVPers. When I say rarely, I mean virtually never outside of a war situation. This is because the population is low in those areas. It isn't worth their time to come there and fish. These places are actually at least 1/2 of the play area in the game. They are vast. The opportunities are endless if you like something other than PVP.

This will change if the game lives and the population grows. I suspect that will be a long time. Right now in these places the biggest problems are the escalations of PVE mobs.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
@Hramel,

How many times have you personally been killed in PvP by a random solo player or roving PvP group?

Please note that "random" assumes that you are not a member of a group that is actively in conflict with another group or that your group is not a known antagonist of PvP being directed at it.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Tink says Stab
Tigari and I are going to play a game of chess, but we won't be taking any pieces from each other. That would be bullying.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
KarlBob
Another massive problem with dungeons is that the game currently doesn't understand line of sight/line of effect. In the wilderness, arrows and spells can pass through trees and rocks. In town, we can attack each other through walls. Until PFO can recognize the presence of a barrier between you and your enemies, dungeons aren't going to work.

I hope this problem is fixed soon, because dungeons would be a fun addition to the world. For now, though, they're just not feasible.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
In logic, we learn that "All Greeks like to Wrestle*" does not mean that "all people who like to wrestle are Greeks." In this case, we don't even know that all bullies like PvP. We can't even be sure that all bullies who PvP like to win, though we are permitted to assume it (With all the inherent flaws in making an assumption.).

There aren't many people who dislike PvP-combat much more than I do, but even I do not assume that most of the people who do like it are bullies. There will be some bullies among the PvP-combat aficionados, there might even be a high percentage of them, but there will also be some people who like to test their personal skill against that of other people, but have no interest in bullying. There will also be people who don't like to PvP, but recognize that it is a part of the contest inherent in building things in PFO. There will be people who do everything they can to avoid it while supporting their "team" in other ways. There will be people who can't stand that it might happen, and they will probably not enjoy the game past the first time it happens.

I was incredibly close to the last group, in part because it struck me in a way that hurt other people who were relying on me. I chose to overcome that, and have moved a step or two away from my original position. Nobody can decide for you how much PvP you can tolerate, but it isn't going away, and it isn't (in the aggregate) bullying.

* This should not be taken as an assertion that all Greeks like to wrestle.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
syllvenwood
90% of all pvp I have seen in the 20some years I have been playing is vastly superior characters spam killing people that don't have a chance of defending themselves. It makes any game hardly enjoyable, these people get off on making others miserable and they are defended by others. It is done with absolutely no sense within the scope of the game being played but purely to goad, humiliate and make others experience in the game as horrid as possible. This is absolutely a form of cyber bullying that is marketed and defended
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
@Hramel,

How many times have you personally been killed in PvP by a random solo player or roving PvP group?

Please note that "random" assumes that you are not a member of a group that is actively in conflict with another group or that your group is not a known antagonist of PvP being directed at it.

Being that this question has not been answered after 11 days, I will chalk up the OP as a "hit and run" piece. "Bye!"
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post