Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Buddy Keys Cost $15?

Mbando
That crazy guy at MMORPG who hates PFO/Ryan so much (Slapshot1188 ) posted:

"SIMPLIFY YOUR COST STRUCTURE!!!
The game is NOT in a state most players expect for a released game. I think that is not even a point of contention. You FURTHER complicate this with the convoluted cost structure:

Get a 15 day trial key (by asking/posting on a message board… )

Buy the game for $30 (triggers $15 to the person who gave the trial key to you)

Use a $15 coupon to lower the cost to $15"

I bolded the part that struck me–I'm not crazy, right? Giving a buddy key doesn't cost $15?
A member of Ozem's Vigil, home to servants of Iomedae and her coming Paladins.
Tink says Stab
I think he is saying that you give the key to someone, they sub using the Paizocon coupon, and the original account basically gets a 15 dollar month sub for free. So in a way, it is giving 15 dollars to the original account.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Tyncale
In any case, too complicated so time to get rid of the box price all together. smile
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Wylder
More stuff he could complain about than the cost.

First, he like many others think access to a product under development should be free. In essence we're basically play testers. In the past you paid play testers to play your game. Now the market is such that people will pay to play test. Times change and the folks over at MMORPG haven't learned to get over it.

Then they complain about the box price. There may be a legitimate complaint here in that you're paying a premium for a box that isn't ready…or empty depending on your point of view.

A sub of $15 is pretty standard these days. They'll argue it's standard for a polished, released game. I agree with them.

They're looking at the store with the $5000 tavern item that to them seems way over the top, even to the point where they are calling scam. Cosmetic items you'd typically buy with micro transactions are not in game yet. So the current store is pretty limited at this point.

And then they complain about essentially rewarding players by recruiting players.

I've basically tuned out on the MMORPG folks, especially the vocal few who want to make this out to what it's not.

As a player I need to determine whether or not this game is worth a $15 subscription. And please stop comparing this to cheese burgers or movie tickets. And beyond that, is the game worth my time? Frankly, GW is losing me as a customer because while I find other players are fun to hang out with, the game isn't where it needs to be to keep me logged on. Really has nothing to do with money, except if you don't like throwing money away.

It might be worth considering opening the game up for free to play while having a premium subscription that provides two character training or some other tangible benefit up to official release.. Also open up a direct, voluntary donation mechanism for those who are true believers or want to obtain access to the developers. But you really need to find ways to keep people interested and playing the game.
Gromzok
Wylder
As a player I need to determine whether or not this game is worth a $15 subscription. And please stop comparing this to cheese burgers or movie tickets. And beyond that, is the game worth my time? Frankly, GW is losing me as a customer because while I find other players are fun to hang out with, the game isn't where it needs to be to keep me logged on. Really has nothing to do with money, except if you don't like throwing money away.
For me personally the biggest issue is low population in my timezone (EU).
Most of the time i am soloing everything because it's just so hard to find ppl to grp up with.
That being said i think that devs took the wrong approach here, they should have made Early Enrollment free to play and provide donation option.
No one likes being forced to pay for unfinished product in order to play it (especially since it will be f2p at release) but i know i would personally donate at least 20$ each month even without required subscription.
Kitsune
Tyncale
In any case, too complicated so time to get rid of the box price all together. smile

Hmm, I know this has been debated in other threads relentlessly, but that would kinda cheat those who backed the kickstarter and who felt that part of what they were getting was the box price being paid-for.

Just throwing that out there.
Edam
If I understand correctly you can sub a friend (or alt) for free for 6 weeks with that PIAZO code.

This is my understanding of how it should work:

1. Send 2 week buddy trial to friend (or self).
2. Friend creates account using PIAZOCON code (or you create alt)to avoid box fee
3. You pay for the 4 weeks sub for your friend needed at (2) or for your alt giving a total of 6 weeks
4. You get 4 weeks added back to your own account (effectively refunding the sub paid in 3)

Basically you end up paying for one months sub added to your own account at the same price you normally sub at anyway and someone else (or your alt) gets 6 weeks playtime free.
Tyncale
Kitsune
Tyncale

Hmm, I know this has been debated in other threads relentlessly, but that would kinda cheat those who backed the kickstarter and who felt that part of what they were getting was the box price being paid-for.

Just throwing that out there.
True, however, I think we can safely say that by now about 95% of the original backers(about 8000) have discarded the game already, and the other 5% are the longtime fans like us who seem to be mostly ok with this move.

Unless people are thinking that there are still thousands of original backers waiting at the sideline "untill the game becomes good" I think GW can move on to the next stage of trying to sell this game to a wider audience.

I am sure some will see this as bait and switch, and they are not entirely wrong exept that the low population was unforeseen, and the move is needed to lower the barrier of entry. I think the overall reaction will be more positive then negative when they do this. As usual though, the few that cause a ruckus about this will make sure they are going to be heard, loud and clear. smile (Not you, Kitsune).
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Ryan Dancey
There are thousands of backers who are waiting on the sidelines.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post