Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Would You Object to GW Dropping the Box Fee?

Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Right now having the box price is a rallying cry for those detractors that say "Box + Sub for Alpha is a money grab for a game in trouble".

Drop the box price
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Tink says Stab

Do the developers believe that they would make more money if they drop the box price?

If yes, then drop the box price. If no, then don't.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Yrme
Tinkerton
Do the developers believe that they would make more money if they drop the box price?

This. That's the business of selling the game - they do what works for the company, in the short, medium or long term. If I paid the box fee earlier and it goes away at some later date - welp, I got what I paid for at that point in time.
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.
Mbando
Tinkerton

Revenue outcomes may be more complex than that. Even if there was a net gain in revenue from dropping the box fee, if that alienated enough existing users to more than offset, you'd have a net loss. There are second-order effects to be considered as well.
A member of Ozem's Vigil, home to servants of Iomedae and her coming Paladins.
Kitsune
Mbando
Tinkerton

Revenue outcomes may be more complex than that. Even if there was a net gain in revenue from dropping the box fee, if that alienated enough existing users to more than offset, you'd have a net loss. There are second-order effects to be considered as well.

It's important to note: "Do the developers believe …"

In other words, Tink is saying it's up to them to decide whether or not dropping the box price would make them more money. Regardless of all the complex maths and stuff that they may or may not calculate.

Period.

(Tink, if that's a misrepresentation of your words, please correct me?)
Mbando
Tink may well have mean that. I'm aiming to point it there may be moving parts to this.
A member of Ozem's Vigil, home to servants of Iomedae and her coming Paladins.
Tink says Stab
I'm sure that there are. The developers are the only ones with access to the information required to make that decision.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Decius
If the developers have access to all the information they need, that would be quite a feat. Like most business decisions, Goblinworks has a subset of the information they need to make a decision, and several of the choices are "Invest time and/or money into getting additional information and/or analyzing the information more".

Figuring out when to stop getting the necessary information (or when the cost of the information exceeds its value) is one of the difficult things in business.
Edam
There was a PIAZOCON code Lisa posted that avoided the box fee when upgrading trial accounts.

Not sure if it is still valid though, it may have been dated limited.
Mistwalker
I wouldn't have any objections to the box price being reduced or eliminated.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post