Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Would You Object to GW Dropping the Box Fee?

Baron Malthius
I would be happy to see the box price removed if it is financially feasible for Goblinworks to do so. It has been an entry barrier for some of my friends who I have invited to get into the game. It seems they would be willing to pay for either the box price or the subscription, but not both.

I personally would not feel ripped off in the least. I feel that the money I have spent up to this point has been an investment. I would not feel that the money that went to the box price would have been wasted if it means more players join and the game really takes off.
Flea
Personally, my investment thus far is something I found acceptable and here I am because of that. Nothing in the future will change my attitude towards that.

If GW thinks that is a good business move and they have the data to suggest such then they should move forward. And they should not worry about the concerns of players who care more about their money than the game anyway. That will be a gamble they will have to take if they deem the risk worth taking. I have to think that it would get enough new people to outweigh the paltry number who would leave considering the size of the current player base.
Edam
For myself the only reason I have not bought multiple extra accounts is the game is an addictive timesuck and just running the characters I have keeps me pretty busy.

It is probably important to rememeber that you will mainly see disgruntled types with high expectations on the various forums. The people that really like the game are probably just ingame playing it.
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Flea
Personally, my investment thus far is something I found acceptable and here I am because of that. Nothing in the future will change my attitude towards that.

If GW thinks that is a good business move and they have the data to suggest such then they should move forward. And they should not worry about the concerns of players who care more about their money than the game anyway. That will be a gamble they will have to take if they deem the risk worth taking. I have to think that it would get enough new people to outweigh the paltry number who would leave considering the size of the current player base.

I believe their data to support such a move is painfully obvious. Now whether they drop the box price to Free or they suspend the Subscription for a few months is another discussion.

There is another thread that asks if there should be a wipe before "Open Enrollment", even though the game is actually in Open Enrollment now anyway.

I would not object to the future subscription price being dropped to a lower amount, and I'm sitting on 19 months so I do lose value in the packages I have already bought.

Most common pricing complaint has been directed at charging premium subscription price for an unfinished (and dated looking and functioning) product. And "NO", no one cares about the terminology jujitsu that Ryan will use to try to convince them otherwise. $15.00 per month is still $15.00 per month, no matter what stage you call your game is in or the argument that "No MMO is truly finished are they?"
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Kitsune
Edam
For myself the only reason I have not bought multiple extra accounts is the game is an addictive timesuck and just running the characters I have keeps me pretty busy.

One of a few reasons I haven't even touched my DT yet.
Oldtimer
If GW can make $$$ by dropping the box fee, then so be it. Personally, I don't think the 50.00 box fee and a monthly sub are too much $$$ to spend on an online game but everyone has their own financial threshold.
Just as long as PFO doesn't go F2P, THAT would be a deal game killer for me.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Oldtimer
If GW can make $$$ by dropping the box fee, then so be it. Personally, I don't think the 50.00 box fee and a monthly sub are too much $$$ to spend on an online game but everyone has their own financial threshold.
Considering the box fee is effectively $0.00 at the moment with the Paizocon coupon, I'm not sure it would help.

The world is a wide and varied place, full of a variety of people, some of whom feel like their opinions are more valid than other people's opinions, so the rest of us must be saved from ourselves. There are also some risk-averse people who don't want to get in before it's "ready" but don't want other people to have any possible advantage for having gotten in sooner. And then there are the people who will find something to complain about no matter what you do. For them, the act of complaining is the primary reward, and each person that agrees with them is a validation of their significance. There's some interesting research in the wild (or was a few years ago, when I cared) about people who lack control over their own lives and their propensity for criticizing others and exerting petty forms of power.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Brighthaven Leader
Here is a bit of a different idea…

What if instead of dropping the 30$ price tag, they added more time to the price, say 3 months, and then you have to start paying 15$. The idea is that they will still make a decent initial payment, the subscriber gets 3 months to play and check out the game before they are asked to pay the 15$ sub. Everyone else already paying 15$ will continue to do so, instead of messing with that price point.

Or is the initial 30$ that is scaring people off? Perhaps they offer a couple different starting packages?

Say they target each package at a different group: (Note you can only get one of these packages as the buy in)

Lower Income Group: 10$ for the buy in, including 1 month, and 15$ a month after that.
Those looking to jump right and want bang for their buck: 30$ for the buy in plus 3 months, and 15$ a month after that.
Those for the long haul with money: 100$ for the buy in plus a year, and 15% a month after that.

They higher costing levels are more value for your money, but the lower price point allows more teenagers/college students/low income groups to get involved in the game.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Oldtimer
@Cheatle, more options certainly will benefit anyone wanting to play PFO.
Avari
Drop the box price until the game has hit population of about 20K or so. Then hit ALL of us with an expansion box. I'm a huge fan of stretching the pay as you develop model GW & Ryan have taken, but they are currently playing with fire and stand in real danger of losing the core player base that's getting worked to the bone if we don't get to critical mass of at least 5K+ active players soon.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post