Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Request from Lee: Escalations Feedback (keepside chat 6/3/15)

Tyncale
I hear the "doing challenging stuff together is fun" argument a lot.

This is true, when there is a reward at the end. *Every* challenging or hard activity in the world, game or RL is being made worhtwhile when there is some reward at the end. Even saving someone from a drowning death has its own reward: not so much the gratitude of the victim, but much more so the fact that by saving someone elses life, you may have saved your own too (think about that for a while). The sheer relief and elation that it is possible to yank people(any people) away from the brink of death. The joy of having avoided the horror of seeing someone (anyone) die.

We can experience reward through others too: so even if *you* have all those T2 recipes already, knowing that your buddy may get a few new ones is gratifying.

Even get-togethers, with zero challenging or competitive activities, have a goal and reward. They have social rewards(the latest gossip?). This may be part of the fun of tackling Mordent Spire together. However I am sure that once Mordent Spire will stop giving *any* rewards, that people will go like, wow, this is a chore, lets just go to town and hang out there. Or take on something that actually gives some loot.

So loot, loot and more loot.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Edam
Tyncale
So loot, loot and more loot.

Imagine the enthusiasm for escalations if there was a chance the boss dropped (very rarely)a T3 Greatsword, Staff or Longbow (actual weapon not recipe).
Tyncale
Mm, that's a dangerous path you are walking, you are talking to an Armorsmith here. smile Also, I think I am more of a proponent for upping the random, average loot. Super rare, unique Boss loot equals drama. Though I guess there's nothing wrong with a little drama. smile

Loot proposals:

• My "one-use" Shards for Enchantments system.
  • Food and Drink items that give buffs(if the devs decide these will not be craftable items): Stinky Goat Cheese dropping from Goblins, Dwarven Spirit dropping occasionally from Duergar. Uncommon to rare, definately not common. Needs to be balanced against consumables and other buff-giving mechanics so good luck with that. smile Still, would be cool.
  • Unique Armor and Weaponskins: now that could be a real winner. And possibly Boss loot indeed.
  • Goblinballs. Every mob has a chance of 0.00001 % of dropping a Goblinball(Plex).
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Drogon
FIX the fallow time bug first and foremost

Prioritize getting dungeons……

If this is too advanced then get a few boss fight scenarios that require organized strategy and drop T3 loot…..
HpoD - "I have, however, sat and watched as others took things more personally (on both sides) and became zealots, charging forward on a shining white horse into a pile of shit. Forum Warriors at their peak, striding the battlefield knee deep in the bloody, broken arguments of their adversaries before the burning village of their credibility….Chill guys. "
Smitty
These things take hours to kill off, its mind numbing to some degree, I fight for 4 hours in the same area and take an escalation down 10% -20% ( for the T2s)..

Consider adding mini bosses (good loot chances, obviously no victory markers..) but at least a chance at a good spell/ maneuver drop for fighting it off for a few hours.. can add different role types so rogue mini boss ( yay more string bolos!), cleric, wizard or fighter . leave the one out that isn’t the main boss type..

Add them in at 75% 50% and 25% , put in some restrictions so parties dont just farm minis..

Nihimon
Smitty
Consider adding mini bosses… in at 75% 50% and 25%…

+1 to "Phase Bosses" that have better drops. Maybe (when you can do the tech) make it impossible to keep reducing the Strength unless you kill the Phase Boss. Should probably ensure that each Phase Boss only ever spawns once per Escalation.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Quijenoth Starkiller
Tie in the escalations to the settlements more…

I would love it if we had more NPCs in town giving repeatable quests for coin or other loot tied to escalations. Like a dwarven weaponsmith who is looking to acquire duergar weapons to study, a gemcutter asking for stones from elementals, etc. anything to drive people to these places, not just for the monster hexes but infected ones too!

You could set up each trainer who will offer a random recipe tied to his profession as a reward.

No need for setting items for this either - just set them up like achievements that have a percentage chance per mob.

for example, a gemcutter wants 50 magma infused diamonds from elementals. Magma elementals grant the achievement 75% of the time, earth 30%, sand 30% and ice 15%.

Rare drops from mobs could also be included as additional rewards from trainers.

Would also be nice to have non-combative ways to reduce escalations. (trying to think within existing tech here…smile lets say as an artificer you could make elemental warding pylons. these work like outposts, you must make them, take them to an escalation hex, find a site then clear the area to place the pylon down. As long as you remain uninterrupted the pylon will be successfully deployed, when the pylon is erected you reduce the strength of the escalation based on the level of the pylon. Pylons stay until server reset so only a limited amount can be placed per server day.

Once wandering mobs become a thing this could be quite challenging to place them down.
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner
Quijenoth Starkiller
Expanding on the pylons, maybe set the maximum reduction of an escalation with this method by 50% + 5% per plus of pylon. so you would need +5 pylons to reduce the escalation to 25% strength.
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner
Tuoweit
"Need more pylons!"

I like Quinejnoth's idea of "non-combat quests" (really, though, there's gonna be some combat required to place those pylons…smile, not necessarily to reduce escalations (but sure, why not), but also to gain rare components and other stuff that those non-combatants might be particularly interested in.

Once mobs start dropping some unique components, I think that's going to come about organically - however, adding that extra step of interaction (crafting & using items to achieve the goal) could make things more interesting beyond simply harvesting a bunch of "elemental essences" or whatever and selling them on the AH.
Khorvak McTiernan
I agree…non-combat oriented ways for Crafter-centric players to reduce escalatinos is a great idea. The NPC's giving those quests would need to be in the nearest settlement (or at least a settlement affected by the escalation). It would help the "Crafty's" to feel like they can help out also.

Good idea "Q" smile
edit: I was going to correct the spelling of "escalations"…but "escalatinos" was too funny to change, hehehe smile

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post