Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

I made a video about my opinions of this game :)

LostOcean
I've been checking out some indie MMOs lately and Pathfinder was the next on my list. smile Please keep in mind that these are just my feelings, I'm not trying to say that the game is for sure going to do bad, but I did notice some things while playing it that seemed concerning so I decided to talk about some of them a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOlT__A5WE
Zycor
-_–_–_-
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Hero, I think you have some valid points, but you may also be missing out on some long term intentions. PvP is partly weak because of missing mechanisms, and that is a direct result of the weighting of the early adopters. The game we think they're designing does not support very much random killing. It supports (or rather will support) lots of focused killing. When factions are fully in play, the people who want to PvP will generally find that a large percentage of other interest PvP players will be red to them 24/7, even without other motivations like feuds.

On the reputation front, if you can find six like minded people, you can set up a holding and bank in that spot any time you like. There is also a current weakness with the templates. In the intended open game, settlements will be able to set their own reputation thresholds. At least a couple intend to cater to low Rep players at that time.

There was more I wanted to talk about, but composing on the tablet is so painful I've forgotten, and will have to watch the video again some time
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Zycor
-_–_-
Decius
I'd like you to do another review at the start of Open Enrollment.
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
heroguides
I really don't care for the faction/feud stuff, I'd rather not have it be such a burden to be at the point where it forces me not to login to the game.

How I think of it the faction/feud stuff is just another way of separating the community. The pvp griefers will kill each other in bloody battle (in a controlled matter), while the carebears gather and craft. I want more open world pvp.

I don't want pvp to be a once a week or daily chore like it is now. I want it to be an integral part of the game. With risk reward.

Hey guys it's tower time everyone log in!

I don't like the civil war style pvp where everyone forms a line and zergs each other at a tower. I like finding people farming or traveling with loot and ganking them. I want to wait for convoys to cross a bridge and pick off people in the back line. I want to own a hex, and make it so the whole server knows that it's my home, and if you want to die you come to my lands. I want it known that I am a bandit, and people risk their life trading me. I've been -10.0 in eve, and I've never really had a problem being griefed by the game like I am in PFO. I can buy officer tags and go to hi-sec.. but I don't need to. I think the rep system shouldn't punish but control where Pkers go.

A lot of the stuff isn't implemented yet because the community is complaining about PVPers calling us griefers and really misunderstanding what a sandbox game is.

We have identical beliefs about what real open world PVP is. If you are seeking to join a company that is looking to play that style, and a settlement that would welcome low rep characters, than contact me in game of apply to Aragonian Council.

I'm really quite bored with grinding escalations that provide no sense of excitement and little danger. The kind of hindrances that rep loss PVP impose to not effect a minimally T2 trained character as much as a newer character. And, supposedly your own settlement guards will not attack you for being low rep, so you can still bank.

Aragon is more centralized on the map than Rotter's Hole is, which is why we picked and won our location.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Decius

This is Open Enrollment, anyone can buy in with box price and subscription.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Decius
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Decius

LOL
Caldeathe Baequiannia
heroguides
I really don't care for the faction/feud stuff, I'd rather not have it be such a burden to be at the point where it forces me not to login to the game.

How I think of it the faction/feud stuff is just another way of separating the community. The pvp griefers will kill each other in bloody battle (in a controlled matter), while the carebears gather and craft. I want more open world pvp.

I don't want pvp to be a once a week or daily chore like it is now. I want it to be an integral part of the game. With risk reward.
It's perfectly valid not to like to those things, but I think you don't have a grasp of the intention. My anticipation is that in the finished product, most people who want to feel safe, will be safe most of the time. Anyone can attack anyone a few times a week without rep gimping them. Most people who want to will be able to kill (or risk being killed by) other players several times a day or more. People who want to be able to kill anyone they want, any time they want, are not the intended audience for the game. There are games that are about killing as many other people as you can. PFO is not those games.

I don't think a significant portion of the community considers you a griefer. We generally understand what griefers really are. What we might consider you is a casual killer; someone who wants to fight other players to the death regardless of whether there is a reason for doing it. As the community stands, we don't want casual killers. We generally want every death to advance an in-game goal, whether it's acquiring loot, promoting your team, or even just to get the highest kill count. The thing is, anyone for whom getting the highest kill count is their goal, needs to accept that society will ostracize them, and they will not be welcome in settlements or at trainers. A small number of those players will add some life to the world. A large number of those type of players will not make the world we're looking for. I hope that killing casually and frequently will be a conscious choice of a small number of players.

Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Whether people agree with the definitions or not, the game isn't at the intended start-state for the average player, so complaints about whether "Open Enrollment" is a good name of it don't change the fact that the game isn't at the point where it is welcoming to the entire intended audience.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Zycor
smilesmilesmilesmile

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post