Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

MMORPG.com PFO review part 3

Saiph the Fallen
http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/features.cfm?read=9762&game=719&ismb=1
Tyncale
Is that review for real? That must be the most superficial, crappy assesment of *any* game that I have ever seen.

Ran around for a few hours, got annoyed by a few things, noticed a few things, mentions the Witcher 3 for some reason?, posts 2 ultra low-res screenshots and calls it a day. Yup, the guy played PFO.

I am all for whipping the GW team into shape, but that was an incredably lazy effort, even for a part in a series.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Saiph the Fallen
It's part 3 of an ongoing review; I personally agreed with many of his comments. But, it's all the same stuff over and over on all reviews of PFO. The game just needs more time.
Decius
If that is the quality of writing typical of MMORPG.com I question whether it is an information source.
Maxen
You know what gets me about all the naysayers? Tell me another major software developer that opens their development process and takes direct input from ANYONE who wants to invest some time and money to help develop the game. Not just a small crew of select Alpha or Beta testers. ANYONE! (Disclaimer: I am not uber-knowledgeable of the software development industry, so if you can tell me of another company, good on you. But, it seems to me that it would not be standard developing procedure to do so on the scale that GW has.)

I get tired of current players (albeit a very small group) and "gaming experts" alike saying what a poor job the GW team is doing. People, the system is still under development. Of course it's not going to have the best graphics. Of course certain mechanics that we're all accustomed to in MMOs are not going to exist yet. But I for one am pleased with what they have accomplished so far. As a Gen X'r, my most critical observation about subsequent generations is lack of patience. You can't have everything you want NOW. It takes time. And I'm not saying Gen X'rs are perfect either. There are things I want now too, but I am willing to give the GW team the time (and money) it needs to make that happen. Patience! Ok, stepping off my soapbox now…..
Nihimon
Decius
If that is the quality of writing typical of MMORPG.com I question whether it is an information source.

Meh. It's a place for people to talk about their experiences. I think it's pretty clear Ryan never expected a mass audience to buy into PFO during Early Enrollment, even though I think he'd be thrilled to be having to turn people away. I think the review was mostly accurate where it touched on factual statements, and I don't see any problem at all with them sharing their opinions, even if they don't have the air of "expert professional".
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Shark
Back in 2010, I was playing Darkfall a game similar to this made by Aventurine. MMORPG gave Darkfall a hideous review. This caused lots of new people to not even try the game or to agree with MMORPG– trial it and point out all of the flaws and bugs. One of the complaints was the "grind" or the problem of how new players had to play for months to progress and catch up with vets. As a vet this was really easy to fix, but as a newbie you had no clue and felt defeated.

In reality Darkfall was the best MMORPG I've ever played and I miss it so much, you guys don't even know. In my opinion MMORPG.com is a joke of a website they rate shitty themepark games like Wildstar highly and great sandbox games like this one (and EVE when it launched) with crappy reviews.

If you look into MMORPG.com for news find another site, massively was really good but it was shutdown– now I use reddit.
Auriga
Let me get this straight, a major part of this section was a complaint about how high their character jumped? One paragraph out of three about jumping? This after a break to review Witcher 3, a multi-year big budget game?

This has to be one of the lazier reviews I've read, especially from an editor of a site claiming a reputation based on reviewing MMO's. Perhaps there is a synopsis coming, but so far the review appears to be compromised by the release dates of big budget games and a lack of understanding. Even if this game were to collapse tomorrow, which it won't, the fact that they have done so much off of a kick-start actually brings hope for a potential reinvention of the MMO world. If a small budget group can come so far, why can't others?
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
His review has been based on what the game is and not based on what it hopes to become, and that is proper. It is also pretty reflective of what most of the player and onlookers have judged PFO as well.

It can not be both ways, the game will not have the forgiveness of being in development while charging the same prices as a game not in development. Semantics and word smithing do not trump dollars and cents. The average MMO / PC gamer expects game play and graphics that are up to par with other games being released at the same time. The argument has always been made that game play is more important than graphics, and that is true for many players. But in PFO's case there is much to do in both.

In the next 4 months PFO has some major competition beginning alpha / beta phases and one release in September. GW needs to be mindful of that.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Tyncale
I have been around too long to fall anymore for the "they better shape up *now*, wonderfull new games are on the horizon" prophecies.

I think the only time that a MMO seriously suffered player-attrition was when Everquest got clobbered by what would end up being the most succesfull MMO ever, World of Warcraft.

First of all, as far as I am concerned, Crowfall, Camelot Unchained, LIF, GLoria Victis and whatever else is on the Horizon are still serisouly different from PFO. I do not see how people can compare Crowfall with PFO, with its Campaigns, Instancing, Eternal Kingdom with zero PvE and different graphical style (which I hate but thats personal).

Secondly, I think it is cute that people can still become total fanbois on a kickstarter design alone and now think Crowfall is actually going to be the "end all of PvP MMO's" but no. I have seen too much "Wow-killers" come and go. I pledged for PFO but was dubious if it would work. I am playing PFO but am still dubious if it will work. I am having fun but this is my own personal fun and I will never, ever become a PR posterboy for any MMO out there.

Thirdly, Crowfall could be a pile of crap that makes PFO look like a triple A MMO. Wouldn't be the first MMO! It's not that Todd Coleman has a record of delivering great looking, bug-free games. (Umm, Shadowbane? What an ugly, buggy pos that was. Nice concept though!)

People like different games. There's stuff that I like in PFO. And PFO can perfectly fail or succeed on its own premisses, no Crowfall needed, thank you very much.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post