Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

MMORPG.com PFO review part 3

Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
It is not just a similar genre that creates competition, available time and money also creates competition. Crowfall, Albion Online and Sword Coast Legends are all different from the very specific sub genre that PFO is, but they will all pull some of pfo's population away.

It is often not a bad thing to light the fire under one's ass or to recognize the sense of urgency when there is a struggle.

Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Tyncale
I do not think those games will pull players away unless these people already have given up on PFO by then. Also, there are already a million MMO's out there, the sense of urgency of customers potentially switching to another MMO then PFO is already a constant threat to any new MMO on the block. I do not see how a few new "promises on the Horizon" will create more of a sense of urgency.

If anything, me going back to Everquest or Guild Wars 2 or Rift for a shorter or longer timespan is a *much* more real threat to my sub to PFO then MMO #2144 doing a kickstarter. smile
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Tink says Stab
I know I'll be switching to Crowfall if the PvP turns out to be more enjoyable than that of PFO. I know that I'll be pulling over as many other people as I can if I make that switch. PFO is a fun game, but I'm subbed here because there isn't really anything that is still being actively developed that scratches the itches I have. That won't be the case for much longer.

PFO is getting better, but it still lacks a feeling of competitive PvP that I am looking for. I don't regularly feel mechnically challenged while I am playing, and that isn't something that is easy to fix. It isn't a matter of giving up on PFO, it is a matter of PFO not reaching it's potential in time.

Edit: in time for me, that is. Not in time in general.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Tyncale
I do not think any MMO in development can compete with "that promising, upcoming MMO that we envision in our minds".

I also don't think you can rush a MMO-in-development into being up to par or even better then that "upcoming MMO in your mind".

Once Crowfall becomes playable you can compare the two and drop PFO like a hot potato if Crowfall is more enjoyable. Or you can even drop it now. Maybe there's better stuff around already. I log into other MMO's constantly btw. So far so good. I guess my burn out on the "no consequence, quest driven themepark MMO's" is a pretty severe one. smile
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Baron Malthius
Maxen
You know what gets me about all the naysayers? Tell me another major software developer that opens their development process and takes direct input from ANYONE who wants to invest some time and money to help develop the game. Not just a small crew of select Alpha or Beta testers. ANYONE! (Disclaimer: I am not uber-knowledgeable of the software development industry, so if you can tell me of another company, good on you. But, it seems to me that it would not be standard developing procedure to do so on the scale that GW has.)
I'm gonna come back to this real quick cause while not a fantasy MMO, Star Citizen is another MMO example of one that is completely crowdforged. Essentially the promise is to deliver what is more or less Wing Commander Online, and the game's backers have collectively dumped millions of dollars into it and it's still going. It is a more apt comparison though I think since it is a comparison between two completely crowdforged MMOs.

From my experience with Star Citizen, to buy ships and other stuff to start off your game, people have to pay at least $30-$150+ per item depending on what they want. In order to play what they have out right now, a prospective customer has to pay a mandatory box price (which is higher than PFO). You can get some starter packs with ships and stuff but those are even more expensive.

There is a lot of hope and potential for the game, but with all of this in place, so far they only have playable modules. Last I played there was only a PvE dogfight module and a racing module. There were plans for a planetside shooter module and eventually a solo campaign before launching an alpha the main game, but I don't know how far along those are.

While I am not going to go into my impressions on what Star Citizen currently has to offer, the main point is that the entry fee into that game is in the end a lot higher for what you are getting out of it. With a much smaller team and a significantly smaller budget, GW has already made a beta (albeit one that's still in it's very early stages). In a similar timeframe, Star Citizen does not have a full fledged alpha yet. They didn't even have a PvP dogfighting module out when I last played it this past winter. As a space MMO, it certainly will be facing competition from EVE and other space MMOs (these days people usually compare it to Elite Dangerous, even though their respective companies endorse each other's MMOs).

I look forward to seeing what Star Citizen may someday offer, so please don't take this as me putting down Star Citizen because I am not. The point here is it puts everything that we are talking about regarding PFO in perspective IMO. GW has accomplished a lot more with a lot less and for the money I am paying in there is definitely more bang for the buck at this time. That's why I am willing to keep subbing and putting money into this in hopes that the game succeeds, because I see the potential this game has. To me it is simply a matter of being patient and seeing how their plans pan out before drawing any final conclusions.
Nihimon
Tyncale
I do not think any MMO in development can compete with "that promising, upcoming MMO that we envision in our minds".

+1!
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Quijenoth
Nihimon
Tyncale

+1!

Yet PFO has probably given us the best opportunity to achieve this of all MMOs to date. Crowdforging has, for me personally, helped steer this game in a direction I look forward to.

I've beta'd games in the past and nothing comes close to the communication the devs are putting in to the community on a daily basis!
Nihimon
Quijenoth
Nihimon
Tyncale

+1!

Yet PFO has probably given us the best opportunity to achieve this of all MMOs to date.

Absolutely! The main reason I've been so obsessed with PFO for the last three and a half years is because of how closely it tracks to that "ideal" MMO I've been imagining for even longer.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Tyncale
Baron Malthius
Good stuff about Star Citizen
I am looking forward to Star Citizen too, I have an early bird 40 dollar pledge (crappy Aurora with LTI and the early perks). Watching the incredably professional PR-machine that they built up, with daily updates, interviews, mini-games, Round the Verse videos, Lore-updates and what not, is a delight. I know they have like 20 times the budget of GW but Chris Roberts is going extremely professional about keeping his (well paying) fans up to date, and in the loop.

Those yummy mockup videos about that cargo-ship: the guy is selling dreams that you can almost taste, so good. smile And they may not have an alpha, but they sure have working modules that get worked on, and updated a lot. I think its a cool approach. I hope they manage to glue the whole kaboodle together and make a fantastic game!
Tink says Stab
God I hope Star Citizen accomplishes everything they say the want to. I am very, very purposefully not following development to avoid the hype train. I bought in for 40 dollars, got my Golden Ticket when the game was very first announced, and haven't really looked at it since. Sometimes I take a glance, but that is it.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post