Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

MMORPG.com PFO review part 3

Kitsune
Tyncale
… the most successful MMO ever, World of Warcraft. …

… at least until we get something like Sword Art Online… smile hehe

Oh wait, I'm not helping conversation much, am I?
Stilachio Thrax
Tyncale
…the most succesfull MMO ever, World of Warcraft…

Depends on how you define successful. Yes, it has a lot of subscribers and made boatloads of money, but it is the artistic and creative equivalent of a stale bad of WOW! Potato Chips. Lord of the Rings has far better storylines (even the ones by Turbine that only tangentially touch the Professor's work). So does SWTOR. There are numerous titles that have better PVP. The only thing World of Warcraft has is people, and that is way overrated when you factor in the overall quality of those people.

Star Citizen has me intrigued since my favorite MMO experience was JTL in SWG. But I'm wary of the buy-in cost and the distinct whiff of P2W when it comes to ships. We'll see how it develops. If one of the SWG EMU projects ever got a fully-functioning version of JTL going, I'd probably jump to that in a heartbeat.
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Kitsune
Stilachio Thrax
Tyncale
…the most succesfull MMO ever, World of Warcraft…

Depends on how you define successful. Yes, it has a lot of subscribers and made boatloads of money,

That's pretty much defining "successful" in my mind (regardless of how good the game looks/plays), and I'm guessing many others' too. *shrug*
Tink says Stab
Yeah, sure, it literally printed money for Blizzard. Sure, it revolutionised the way MMOs are marketed. Sure, it brought MMOs into the mainstream. Sure, it has had some of the most polished and engaging PvE on the market throughout its lifespan. Sure, it is the only MMO to have supported a reasonably visible competitive scene.

But can we really call it a success?

There is a reason WoW got to the size it did. It relied on the fact that everyone and their mother played the game for a while. But it got to the point that everyone and their mother played it because it was one of the best games on the market for what it did for the longest time.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Rynnik
WoW was great for the company and terrible for the industry.

Case closed. smile
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Stilachio Thrax
Tinkerton
There is a reason WoW got to the size it did. It relied on the fact that everyone and their mother played the game for a while. But it got to the point that everyone and their mother played it because it was one of the best games on the market for what it did for the longest time.

By that logic, McDonald's must make the best hamburgers in the world, because everyone and their mother has eaten them and they sell more of them than anyone else by a substantial margin…

Making money =/= quality product.
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Tyncale
Guys, I did not say "the *best* MMO", I said the most succesful MMO. I would indeed call McDonalds the most succesful Hamburgerchain.

I mean, we all know that the *best* MMO, is Everquest, no two ways about it. smile

And to be extremely honest, I think the Big Tasty from Mc Donalds is yummier then any fancy, homecooked, barbecued-with-love hamburger that I have tasted so far! Those are way too wholesome, 2 bites and I am full.

/duck
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Rynnik
Stilachio Thrax
Tinkerton

By that logic, McDonald's must make the best hamburgers in the world, because everyone and their mother has eaten them and they sell more of them than anyone else by a substantial margin…

Many suits would prefer to own McDonalds. Many chefs would prefer to cook at a fancy restaurant. Many people would rather eat a burger at home.

Almost like there a ton of possible perspectives and none of them are right or wrong on an absolute level.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Stilachio Thrax

Except he didn't claim it was the "best", nor did he mention "quality". He said it was the most successful. And using your example, whether their burgers are good, or crap, it's hard to argue against McDonalds being the most successful fast food joint (so far).
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Rynnik
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Stilachio Thrax

Except he didn't claim it was the "best", nor did he mention "quality". He said it was the most successful. And using your example, whether their burgers are good, or crap, it's hard to argue against McDonalds being the most successful fast food joint (so far).
I don't think it would be hard to find artists who claim that money isn't the greatest, only, or even at all an indicator of success.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post