Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

MMORPG.com PFO review part 3

Caldeathe Baequiannia
Rynnik
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Stilachio Thrax
By that logic, McDonald's must make the best hamburgers in the world, because everyone and their mother has eaten them and they sell more of them than anyone else by a substantial margin…

Making money =/= quality product.
Except he didn't claim it was the "best", nor did he mention "quality". He said it was the most successful. And using your example, whether their burgers are good, or crap, it's hard to argue against McDonalds being the most successful fast food joint (so far).
I don't think it would be hard to find artists who claim that money isn't the greatest, only, or even at all an indicator of success.
No, it's not hard to find someone to disagree with any claim of something being a pinnacle of any kind. But for many, consistently having a restaurant rated by average people as a "most trusted brand" is a pretty good indicator.

In any event, I don't know if WoW was successful or not. I only noted that what Tink claimed is not what Stilachio addressed.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
I have long since given up on one mmo or any other PC game giving me everything I'm looking for. Eve was the closest to that, but after 10 years my breaks have become longer and I may actually be done with it.

I'm looking to Crowfall to be a nice combination of several game play styles. Albion Online for the PvP murder sim I enjoy, casually. Sword Coast Legends for cooperative, multiplayer RP and D&D nostalgia.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Edam
WoW is the equivalent of daytime Soaps or reality TV or maybe one of those big budget horror movies that look fantastic in the trailers and make lots of money but are just prepackaged entertainment and have no real substance.

Now much of the pressure to change PFO (prettier graphics, more hack and slash PvP etc etc) seems to come from people that churn through games of that type looking for a new temporary fix where TEMPORARY is the keyword. Churning that type of customer is not really a good model for a game that takes 3 years to optimize even one role.

The danger for PFO though is it may end up too far the other way and become the equivalent of one of those weird art/cult films that wins all sorts of obscure awards and has a tiny fanatical following, but aside from them no one really watches.

Following the latest trends and building yet another pretty game with cool graphics and similar roles (the trinity) and UI to every other game out there is bit pointless if your not churning - but getting too obscure and esoteric is risky. Middle ground is needed.
Saiph the Fallen
Edam
WoW is the equivalent of daytime Soaps or reality TV or maybe one of those big budget horror movies that look fantastic in the trailers and make lots of money but are just prepackaged entertainment and have no real substance.

Now much of the pressure to change PFO (prettier graphics, more hack and slash PvP etc etc) seems to come from people that churn through games of that type looking for a new temporary fix where TEMPORARY is the keyword. Churning that type of customer is not really a good model for a game that takes 3 years to optimize even one role.

The danger for PFO though is it may end up too far the other way and become the equivalent of one of those weird art/cult films that wins all sorts of obscure awards and has a tiny fanatical following, but aside from them no one really watches.

Following the latest trends and building yet another pretty game with cool graphics and similar roles (the trinity) and UI to every other game out there is bit pointless if your not churning - but getting too obscure and esoteric is risky. Middle ground is needed.

You articulate so well.
Ursula DeKay
Edam

[more stuff]

And that, I believe, is what Mr. Dancey is aiming for. I read a great article about the recent Avengers movie and how it basically does exactly what Edam describes: expensive eye candy with no real substance. Makes tons of money but as no real re-play value. That is not what PFO aims to be, for sure. I can't come up with a good movie analogy for PFO, though.

Of course, if PFO could make it into the realm of Mad Max: Fury Road would be pretty sweet!

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post