Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Trial Characters and Influence

Ravenlute
Is it possible for someone to start a new account and create one or more 15 day trial characters, then have them join a Company, thereby raising the max Influence cap of that Company, then just leave the characters there to keep the max up but never subscribe?

Wouldn't that make even having an influence cap pointless?

If GW wants to keep the Company influence cap then it may be a good idea to prevent a trial character from raising the cap or contributing influence until the account they are attached to subscribes. They should still be able to join a Company as a trial character since legit new players will likely stay in the game longer if they are able to do so while trying out the game, but they should not affect a Company's influence at all until they subscribe.

If this isn't even possible then no worries!
Myl - Herald of Stone Bear Clan (Tavernhold)
"You can walk into Tavernhold but a horse will have to carry you out."
Edam
Ravenlute
Is it possible for someone to start a new account and create one or more 15 day trial characters, then have them join a Company, thereby raising the max Influence cap of that Company, then just leave the characters there to keep the max up but never subscribe?

Wouldn't that make even having an influence cap pointless?

If GW wants to keep the Company influence cap then it may be a good idea to prevent a trial character from raising the cap or contributing influence until the account they are attached to subscribes. They should still be able to join a Company as a trial character since legit new players will likely stay in the game longer if they are able to do so while trying out the game, but they should not affect a Company's influence at all until they subscribe.

If this isn't even possible then no worries!

I seem to recall this being discussed elsewhere.

Creating serial 1000 point alts that grind low level achieves was another thing people were concerned about.
Ryan Dancey
Policy: Don't do it.
Kitsune
Ryan Dancey
Policy: Don't do it.

Considering the intent behind such actions is practically undetectable, will Goblinworks be investigating mechanically preventing this sort of thing?
Ryan Dancey
No.
Longale Shortpint
Necroing this thread…

I've heard of several existing players using trial accounts for various things recently including helping with company influence management in various ways - not directly just to raise their cap per se but similar reasons and with the side effect of raising it.

For clarity I thought I'd ask a simple question to remove some of the doubt around this:

Is it ever within the policy guidelines for an active subscriber to create a trial account they do not intend to sub?
Caldeathe Baequiannia
I think until they get better logging, it's beyond their capacity to even think about it. To show intent, they'd need some sign that the character did nothing, which they I suspect can't currently be accomplished without a lot of manual effort. If they focus instead on having influence drain away over time, it will more easily discourage the behaviour. All that would need is a timer that is the inverse of XP, which starts any time the toon isn't earning XP, and with the influence fading as the timer approaches zero. A 1kxp alt has a countdown timer immediately, and after a week or so contributes nothing. An abandoned account might take weeks, or months to drain to zero, but would eventually do so.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Bringslite
All they need to do is run a script that removes unsubscribed players from company affiliation. It will hurt, but it has to be done someday so that realistic numbers are what matter and AWOL numbers do not affect so many things.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Smitty
There are many things that are broken with trial accounts ..
Influence being 1 major issue.. that said I have my own company and I do have 2 1 k alts in my roster but they are on an account that is subscribed ..
Next issue is being able to create characters to do the tutorials in order to get the maneuver/expendables .. Imagine some folks have already been doing just that to farm the maneuvers/ expendables needed to create buildings.. at the very least these should be a no trade tag..
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Are the expendables really worth the time and effort? I'd have thought a high level character could farm better in the time it takes to run around.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post