Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Trial Characters and Influence

Smitty
No clue if its worth it I wouldn't do it .. but if something is possible you can bet it has been done or is being done.. If you know you can get a guaranteed 4-8 in an hour compared to perhaps a chance at half that number i imagine some folks would take the sure thing even if it was utterly boring..
Bringslite
It is possible. Will everyone agree and ask for a superscript to be coded and run? It will CHANGE THE WORLD. After all, we never got our Catasticlysm, did we?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bob
As Ryan said way back when, our policy is that you shouldn't be doing this kind of stuff with alts. However, we're not treating it as an exploit that we're going to be able to police. Nonetheless, please don't do it.

I admit I muddied the waters at some point when someone asked whether we were treating grinding 1k alts for early achievements as an exploit. I took that too literally and focused on whether we were punishing folks for it, when I should have just acknowledged that it's behavior we'd rather you didn't do. I'm hoping at this point that most players don't find it worth the time to grind 1k alts. You should be able to do much more valuable things with your experienced characters during that time, and still get a reasonable amount of influence during that time.

In terms of inactive characters providing a boost to your max influence, somewhere down the line we'll be making changes so that inactive characters don't contribute to your max, which will be a big shock for your company/settlement if you have lots of inactive members. I'm pretty sure you'd be better off in the long-run pursuing strategies that will set you up for success when that day comes.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
I confess, my strategy for success is costing me way too much per month right now…..
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Quijenoth Starkiller
Anything that makes the use of alts more difficult should automatically police it for you Bob.
Like long journeys to setttlemtns to join companies, setting minimum requirements to join companies, taxes for companies and so on…
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner
Bob
Quijenoth Starkiller
Anything that makes the use of alts more difficult should automatically police it for you Bob.
Like long journeys to setttlemtns to join companies, setting minimum requirements to join companies, taxes for companies and so on…

True, making it harder to join companies, or more costly for companies to be large but full of inactive players, would make it less desirable to do these kinds of things. Unfortunately, all those things would require code, and may very well be as much or more work than just fixing the underlying problem. Once we have a chance to tackle this, we'll pick the way that best matches the overall goal of having a company's max influence based on the number of "active" characters who are members.
Schedim
Yes perhaps the time to code isn't worth it for just this purpose, but there are side benefits to take into concideration, such as more coin sinks for taxes, and journeys to join is good as it creates traffic and also creates a more regional feel of a company etc … but that is for the future.
Schedim: Peddler and dealer in stuff easily transported, restless wandering the land of the River. Trying to find out how to reawaken the cult of Hanspur. To realise this ambition I created the company named Rats of Hanspur.
You can reach me on: pfo.schedim@gmail.com
Mistwalker
As long as "inactive" characters are non-sub accounts than there is less of an issue than if it when was the last time this character was logged in. I have some subbed accounts where I haven't played with them in a quite a while (XP is accumulating - yay).
The Eternal Balance
There are many, many companies in game right now with bloated rosters and influence from trial accounts. In fact, some companies almost completely depend on it to do what they do. I welcome the reckoning that one day (hopefully soon) will come to them…
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Decius
A good soft cap would be a monthly coin drain on companies based on some power of the number of members that they had.

That requires about four new features though.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post