Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Issue with Cleric Melee Attacks.

Edam
Currently Clerics can train weapon attacks using WISDOM for the ability gate.

Example:
Fire Whirl Rank 5 to use +3 weapons requires either STR or WIS to 14.

- The Problem
These attacks are also gated by Heavy Attack Bonus which requires high STR not (STR or WIS).

Example:
Fire Whirl Rank 5 also requires Heavy Attack Bonus 6 which needs STR 14.

- The Best Solution
The gate for Heavy Attack Bonus should be either STR or WIS.

NOTE: Similar issues will arise with other weapon types and also proficiencies such as Heavy Blade Weapon Proficiency.
Stephen Cheney
The sanctified weapon attacks are meant primarily for Crusaders, Paladins, and other hybrid divine/martial characters. You aren't intended to be able to master them purely through investment in Wisdom.

But I'll talk to the gang about lowering the prereqs so they're attainable without as much investment as the pure martial general attacks require.
Edam
On rechecking Heavy Attack Bonus 6 needs STR 13 so you would currently need STR 13 and WIS 14 for a rank 5 deity heavy melee attack, which is better than I first thought - however STR 13 is still high for a cleric.

Perhaps make Rank 5 deity heavy melee attacks require Heavy Attack Bonus 5? The rank 5 (T2+3) gate for deity heavy melee attacks would then be STR 11 and WIS 14.

You could then make Rank 6 (T3) deity heavy melee attacks require Heavy Attack Bonus 7 (rather than HAB 8 ) thus giving you a gate for cleric melee attacks of WIS 20 STR 15 for T3.
Jokken
It is not unreasonable for a Crusader Cleric to build an equal amount of Str and Wis. As a Crusader you're very likely to want a good mix of Fighter Feats.
Go West for freedom and adventure! Join the free soil settlers of High Road. Be a positive and constructive force for freedom in the Bulwark Hills. www.coalroad.com/hrc
Duffy Swiftshadow
I think it's a little weird to reconcile as currently Cleric is the only role that seems to have two entirely separate build paths with different stat gates. Bows kinda do this too but it's not as nearly a large problem.
Nihimon
Duffy Swiftshadow
I think it's a little weird to reconcile as currently Cleric is the only role that seems to have two entirely separate build paths with different stat gates. Bows kinda do this too but it's not as nearly a large problem.

I expect we'll see more and more of this as time goes on and more Roles and branches are added.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Decius
I think it's reasonable to expect that a paladin would have strength and wisdom.
Duffy Swiftshadow
Oh agreed, I think there will be far more branching and combos as new roles get added or if existing ones expand. Cleric is just the proto-type for that right now, plus with the eventual Alignment and Deity stuff for them, they are by far the most complex to build.
Tink says Stab
My build is basically a Paladin and I got to STR 14 WIS 13 fairly easily. I imagine that it about as easy the other way around.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Stilachio Thrax
Tinkerton
My build is basically a Paladin and I got to STR 14 WIS 13 fairly easily. I imagine that it about as easy the other way around.

It will only get crazy if Paladin/Anti-Paladin roles take a page from TT and need Personality (Cha) as well. Str/Wis builds otherwise have decent synergy and can be achieved without much fuss.
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post