Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Wizard expendables... NOT WORTH IT

Tink says Stab
Redouble and Chase are the two maneuvers that I believe are currently balanced for Fighters.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Elsworth Sugarfoot
1 cool expendable could be Shield. Which is a static bubble (similar to prismatic sphere) which gives you a physical resistance boost if you stay in the bubble.
Edam
Cleric Expendables are OK. Lots of nice debuffs and some big hitters like Slay Living.

Wizard Expendables are more suited to PvE. A couple of mage types casting glacial blast can wipe out low to mid PvE mobs.
Tink says Stab
Elsworth Sugarfoot
1 cool expendable could be Shield. Which is a static bubble (similar to prismatic sphere) which gives you a physical resistance boost if you stay in the bubble.

Area control effects would be awesome, but a fairly big tech push.

Bubbles of Stamina Regen (I know, Stamina Regen buffs are verboten the in the current design, but it is the only way to mimic attack speed buffs). Bubbles of Defence. Bubbles of Run Fast. Bubbles of Regeneration. Bubbles of Enemy Slowing. Bubbles of Being Super Sneaky.

Making Wizards into area control monsters where they dictate the flow of battle is certainly one direction that could be taken.
Tabomo
Of course, I don't know how much I like the idea of having to stand in one spot as a Wiz. lol
Tink says Stab
Bubbles can be fairly big, and still be balanced. If a bubble had the diameter of a tower fight, then you would have plenty of space to dance around a fighter, while still applying buffs/debuffs in a continual area.

Think how cool it would be if Wizards could place an AoE that lasts for 18 seconds, and every 3 seconds everyone in the bubble gets 10 Slowed. Or if they could place down a literal wall in front of themselves that you cannot cross, and you have to go around.

There are plenty of ways that GW could make Wizards really cool, without just increasing their damage. But the trouble is that a lot of them require some kind of tech that I imagine they don't have. To get bubbles, you need to have aura effects, which is something they are working on, and you have to have dynamic placeables, which is certainly doable right now, but you would have to hodgepodge it.

Now that they have the technology to summon Mules, you could literally just have a spell create an invisible NPC entity with no movement speed, that has an Aura that does things. Or you could even have them visible, with a health bar, and let them be attacked.
HowardWdW
There are a lot of good ideas in this thread.

I totally agree with the basic idea that the Wizard expendables are very weak. I was so disappointed after I found and learned Fireball, expecting to finally have a great damage AoE, only to find a measly 2.34 damage factor and only 1 round of burning and unbalanced. So wimpy damage (which has no level scaling) and effects that last for so short a time that my companions can't run in after the burst and get there in time to take advantage of them. So…basically useless. Also, with the current agro system, a Wizard tosses one big AoE to start a fight and then spends the rest of the time running away from everything he agroed because pulling a mob agroed on someone else off them is not easy at all. That's not so much fun.

Personally I like the idea of Wizards expendables doing big damage and taking up a lot of power. It is then a meaningful choice to cast an expendable, just like it is in TT. I also think another way of mimicking the TT flavor would be to give those spells a MUCH longer cool down time. Perhaps you can only cast your Fireball once every 30 minutes, your delayed blast fireball once per hour and your Meteor Swarm once every 4 hours.

It then becomes possible to give Sorcerers a different flavor by having them only be able to use certain "groups" (schools?) of spells and cantrips and have their spells be a different drop from Wizards that have shorter cooldowns so the Sorcerer gets to cast more of them per day but with limited choices. Again this would be closer to TT.

The cantrip system with unlimited amount of casting is OK even though the flavor of them is odd (very non TT). The damage output is definitely lower than other classes because a lot of the good damage spells are burst to self or AoE which as already pointed out are useless in group PvE or PvP. This is Ok if cantrips are "weaker" than expendables.

Adding a lot more "party buff" type cantrips (or enemy only debuffs) would make the Wizard more interesting and create diversity in approach, rather than most Wizards sticking to a fairly limited cantrip selection.

Finally if they ever put in ammo for Wizards then the whole balance of the Wizard will change. Crafting enormous amounts of T2 and lord help us T3 ammo will be an enormous sink of essence. And essence gathering is the most boring and most difficult (node spawn frequency) of all gathering skills. Dowsing is another thing that could use some tweaking to make it more "fun". Perhaps when spellcrafting comes in there will be new components that can only be gathered by dowsers making it a more interesting gathering profession.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post