Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

My first step-for-step Archer build to Tier3.

Tyncale
This is a Focussed but viable Archerbuild aka "How to reach Tier 3 Bow attacks asap" aka "How on earth do I take those Ability-gate hurdles!"

This Archer(Fighter) Build is meant to get you to Tier 3 with a Bow as fast as possible while still a viable build, in 11 months and 8 days. After that time you will have a character that:

• Can wield a Tier 3 +3 Longbow and use Tier 3 level 6 Bow attacks(Invested in 4 Longbow Attacks + the two role attacks: Overdraw, Half Draw, Followthrough Foresight, Parting Shot, Vital Strike, Penetrating Strike) (You can replace any of the bow attacks I chose by attacks that you deem more worthy)
  • Will have a Dex of 20
  • Can use Tier 2 level 5 Fighter Role Attacks (The level 6 attacks require a much bigger investment in Fighter Feats)
  • Will be able to wear T2 Captains Chainmail +2 to full effect and have met the requirements to train Tier 3 Medium Armor Prof and the Archer Armor feat up to level 10 which will give you the T3 Keyword; will cost you 43k extra XP after you finish the guide.
  • Have invested in a good Role Feat, i.e. Bow Specialization.
  • Have 2 somewhat usefull Utilities (not leveled up) i.e. Evasion and Bulwark
  • Can use a Tier 2 Trophy Charm and use Tier 1 and Tier 2 Selfheals, Augment and Redouble
  • Have 2 useful Reactives and 3 useful Defensives (partly leveled up)
  • Be a Level 13 Bowyer that can make tier 2 Longbows and Arrows.
  • Be a level 12 Fighter.
  • Will have invested in several other Skills and feats that are ALL usefull to this build, and also for branching out in the future.
  • Will try to reach landmarks like Tier 2 and level 5 attacks asap, while still being viable.
  • Will enable you to dish out Tier 2 Bow damage in only 19 days!
  • Will have you wearing Tier 2 Armor in 21.5 days!

IMPORTANT! Please keep in mind that you will also need to get the "Longbow Expert Achievement" all the way up to 10 eventually(to buy Tier 3 level 6 attacks), which means that in the course of those 11 months you will need to have killed at least 8000 mobs with a Longbow. Not a biggie, tbh. You will also need to get a total of 87 Martial Achievement points for the Bow Proficiency 3 feat: you will get 55 Martial points from the Longbow 10 Achievement. I would advice to get the rest of those Martial points by killing Knights and Elite Knights (Molochs come to mind) if you do not want to dabble with other Fighter weapons (whose achievements also give martial points but we are not investing xp in those weapons).

Lastly, though "Hitpoints" And 'Power" training in this Guide is spread out across the steps, you can actually train those earlier levels much sooner: they have few requirements and do not cost that much XP early on(so they will not *delay* you as much), while they are a real boon to have. They have some Achievement requirements that you get for killing stuff or crafting, so my advice is to train Hitpoints and Power every time you reach such an Achievement level.

Let's start to Train!

Medium Armor Proficiency 1
Bow Weapon Proficiency 1
Archer 1 (Armor feat)
Archer 2
Archer 3
Archer 4
Half Draw 1 (quick attack, primary, low endurance cost, interrupts)
Overdraw 1 (slow but powerfull attack, primary, medium endurance cost)
Ranged Attack Bonus 1
Overdraw 2
Half Draw 2
Ranged Attack Bonus 2
Half Draw 3
Overdraw 3
Reflex Bonus 1 (Needed for Evasion)
Evasion 1 (Utility that does not really need scaling up to be useful)
Fortitude Bonus 1 (Needed for Bulwark and Fighter Achievements)
Bulwark 1 (Utility that gives Mindblank and Freedom)

XP total: 6626 Dex:10.173, 2 days, 18 hours

Note: You can now use a Tier 1 +2 armor that makes full use of the Archer armor feat(Soldiers Chainmail +2) and a Tier 1 +2 Hunters Longbows that makes full use of the level 3 bow-attacks.
Now we need to get Dex to 11 before we can train Bow Proficiency 2 and can train level 4 (tier 2) attacks. For this you will venture deeper into the realm of the Fighter, and start with training Trophy Charm Proficiency so you can then train a Role Feat that fits this Build(Bow Specialization). Role Feats add a very good amount to your Ability (Dex in our case) and you need to climb up the ranks of Fighter in order to train this higher. Those Fighter levels will come automatically when you train in the correct Skills and Feats that are prerequisites. Role Feats also give very nice perks so you do not want to miss out on them. We will also train our first levels of our Defensives and Reactives now since they are so cheap and are useful at these low levels already.

Trophy Charm Implement Proficiency 1 (You can now slot a Trophy Charm implement)
Augment (Expendable, your super-useful Tier 1 selfheal that you can slot in your Trophy Charm)
Bow Specialization 1 (Role Feat)
Hit Points 1
Power 1 (You are now Fighter 1)
Base Attack Bonus 1
Power 2
Hit Points 2 (You are now Fighter 2)
Staggering Critical 1 (cheap first level of Reactive, will apply Slow on critical hit)
Master of Opportunity: Suffer (cheap first level of Reactive, will add base damage to mobs with Opportunity)
Bravery 1 (cheap first level of Defensive that lowers Crowd Control durations on you)
Lightning Reflexes (cheap first level of Defensive that gives a Reflex bonus)
Strong Back (cheap first level of Defensive that gives more Encumbrance)
Bow Specialization 2
Fortitude Bonus 2
Hit Points 3
Power 3 (You are now Fighter 3)
Base Attack Bonus 2
Power 4
Hit Points 4 (You are now Fighter 4)
Ranged Attack Bonus 3
Bow Specialization 3
Ranged Attack Bonus 4

XP total: 15990 Dex: 10.437, 6 days, 15 hours

At this point the absolute fastest way to get to 11 Dex is to train up to level 5 Bowyer right now. (Doing that earlier would have required 6 levels of Bowyer which would take longer again).

Bowyer 1
Bowyer 2
Bowyer 3
Bowyer 4
Bowyer 5

XP total: 36975 Dex: 11.033 (yay!) 15 days, 9 hours

First we train those Feats needed so we can start to dish out that Tier 2 damage. Now that we have reached Dex 11 so quickly we can also start to invest XP in more Bow attacks, including the 2 Fighter Role Attacks. These Role attacks are expensive but absolute worth it: besides, they give good Dex and we will milk all the useful Archer Feats before we start to pad our Dex with more Bowyer-levels. The loooong trek to Dex 20(Tier 3) has begun!

Bow Weapon Proficiency 2
Overdraw 4
Half Draw 4

XP Total: 46954 Dex: 11.199 19 days, 13 hours.

You can now dish out tier 2 damage if you equip a tier 2 Wardens Longbow +2! What a jump in damage! Now that you have those 2 attacks at level 4 (DPS!) we wil learn some more bow attacks to have some more diversity. We will also invest more in the Armor Feat and the Role Feat (which in turn will need some investment in Fighter levels and their prereq feats). You can decide for yourself what to train first, however there are some more gates involved at Dex 12, 13, 14 and 15 so your mileage may vary. Our end goal is Dex 20 and a viable character on the road to that Goal.

Archer 5
Archer 6
Medium Armor Proficiency 2

XP Total: 51532 Dex: 11.281 21 days, 11 hours.

You can now wear up to +2 tier 2 armor (Captains Chainmail +2) to full effect! Let us now get to Fighter 8 as soon as possible so you can start to use level 4 of those awesome Role Attacks. Also needed to train more of Bow Specialization.

Fortitude Bonus 3
Hit Points 5
Power 5 (You are now Fighter 5)
Base Attack Bonus 3
Power 6
Hit Points 6 (You are now Fighter 6)
Bow Specialization 4
Fortitude Bonus 4
Hit Points 7
Power 7 (You are now Fighter 7)
Base Attack Bonus 4
Power 8
Hit Points 8 (You are now Fighter 8 )
Ranged Attack Bonus 5
Penetrating Strike 1
Penetrating Strike 2
Penetrating Strike 3
Penetrating Strike 4
Vital Strike 1
Vital Strike 2
Vital Strike 3
Vital Strike 4

XP total: 143175 Dex: 12.255, 59 days, 15 hours

Next we train two more Bow attacks so we can fill all slots. I chose the following two Longbow Attacks for myself:

Parting Shot 1
Parting Shot 2
Parting Shot 3
Parting Shot 4
Followthrough Foresight 1
Followthrough Foresight 2
Followthrough Foresight 3
Followthrough Foresight 4

XP total: 157383 Dex: 12.545, 65 days, 13 hours

Next, our Tier 2 Selfheal, Redouble.

Trophy Charm Implement Proficiency 2
Redouble (You can now selfheal up to 830 HP)
Bow Specialization 5

XP total: 178699 Dex: 12.972, 74 days, 10 hours

Before you can train level 5 Longbow attacks that can make full use of a +3 Wardens Longbow you will need a Dex of 14. First we will train some more fighter levels so we can get Bow Specialization higher.

Fortitude Bonus 5
Hitpoints 9
Power 9 (You are now Fighter 9)
Base Attack Bonus 5
Power 10
Hitpoints 10 (You are now Fighter 10)

XP total: 202327 Dex: 13.002, 84 days, 7 hours

You now have Dex 13! We need this to train Ranged Attack Bonus 6, which again is needed to train Bow Specialization 6.
Ranged Attack Bonus 6
Bow Specialization 6

Still not at Dex 14! So we can still not train the level 5 bow attacks. This is one of those points where training another Bowyer level is needed: other Dex based feats like Reflexbonus are actually much more expensive to train for Dex-gains then a Crafting skill at this point. But first we add 2 more levels of Master of Opportunity: Suffer(extra damage, yummy) and one more level of our Defensive Lightning Reflexes and then one Bowyer level. You could opt for taking Staggering Critical (slowing Reactive) to level 3 instead of the Defensive to level 2 but this will cost you more XP. I feel the XP for Master of Opportunity: Suffer 3 is very worth it though.

Master of Opportunity: Suffer 2
Master of Opportunity: Suffer 3
Lightning Reflexes 2
Bowyer 6

XP total: 254068 Dex: 14.03, 105 days, 20 hours

Now that Dex is at 14 we can start to train our level 5 attacks and thus boost Dex with that.
Please be aware that even if you take all 10 Longbow Attacks to level 5 you will not be anywhere near Dex 20. We also want to take Bow Specialization till 7 for which will need Fighter level 12: after that the Fighter prereqs will start to require higher Strength/Con and we are not going to waste XP for Str/Con-based Feats.

Overdraw 5 (you need a +3 tier 2 Wardens Longbow to benefit from these level 5 attacks)
Half Draw 5
Followthrough Foresight 5
Parting Shot 5

XP total: 295084 Dex: 14.518, 122 days, 22 hours

You notice how slow Dex rises even by training those level 5 attacks. Now we take our Fighter level to 12 so we can train the level 5 Role Attacks.

Fortitude Bonus 6
Power 11
Hitpoints 11 (You are now Fighter 11)
Base Attack Bonus 6
Hitpoints 12
Power 12 (You are now Fighter 12)
Penetrating Strike 5
Vital Strike 5

XP total: 414603 Dex: 15.021, 172days, 18 hours

Our Dex is now 15 which means we can train Ranged Attack Bonus 7 and Bow Specialization 7

Ranged Attack Bonus 7
Bow Specialization 7

The time has come to top off our Dex with Bowyer levels. You could train up all longbow-attacks or you could train Dex-based light weapons and do the same: but not only will that take MUCH more XP, you might also end up with all sorts of attacks that you never use. We want to use dem tier 3 Bows ASAP and besides, it's cool to make your own arrows, right? smile

Bowyer 7 (Dex=16.253)
Bowyer 8 (Dex= 16.66)
Bowyer 9 (Dex=17.128
Bowyer 10 (Dex=17.659)
Bowyer 11 (Dex=18.25)
Ranged Attack Bonus 8 (we needed 18 Dex for this)
Bowyer 12 (Dex=19.086)
Bowyer 13 (Dex=19.802)

Now there is a last important choice to make:

You can now take Reflexbonus all the way up to 7 to reach Dex 20 for a total XP cost of 799465 XP or you can take that level 14 Bowyer for a total XP of 831732 and be able to make your own Tier 3 Arrows(Adamantine Bodkin Arrow)! That is your choice.

If opting for the Reflexbonus, then train those *before* all the boywer-levels so you will benefit from the Reflexbonus during those months that you are leveling up Bowyer to reach Dex 20 smile

Reflex Bonus 2 (reflex is your defense against physical attacks)
Reflex Bonus 3
Reflex Bonus 4
Reflex Bonus 5
Reflex Bonus 6
Reflex Bonus 7

XP total: 799465 Dex: 20.087, 333 days, 2 hours

At last, train:

Bow Weapon Proficiency 3
Overdraw 6

Now you have a Tier 3 attack that has ALL the keywords that will fully utilize a +3 tier 3 Bow; not that those are available then but +0 and +1 bows certainly will be! You will pack a mighty punch!

XP total to reach this landmark: 821827 Dex: 20.294 Time to train: 342 days, or 8th of December if you manage to get your hands on a Pristine XP, day 1 account.

This guide does not go beyond this point. You now have Dex 20 and you can start to branch out from there. First train your Medium Armor Proficiency 3 and your Archer Feat. Then branch out to your liking! Train more bow-attacks to 6, take more Fighter levels, start leveling other weapons, train extra Hitpoints and Power, whatever. smile

I hope more builds will follow. smile
Link to the file of the Build for use in Nightdrifters Calculator.

Download as *.txt file and put in training_planner folder, then Import when you are in the trainingsplanner tab.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Decius
I would use reflex bonus before bowyer to rush DEX, I don't see con 11 (for t2 tokens), and I didn't check your math, but assuming the math is good this looks like a good way to become very good at one thing.
Tyncale
Yes, in that last run to 20 DEx, the reflexbonus should indeed come before those Bowyer levels. I kinda made up my mind about taking Reflex instead of that last Bowyer level at the end, so.

I tried to avoid putting any XP in Feats that use another Ability, not sure how much XP it takes to get to Con 11(I think quit a bit) but that certainly could be a personal choice.

The math is provided by Nightdrifters Trainingplanner so if you follow this step by step you will not hit any requirement blocks.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Thod-Theodum
Very interesting read. I would never create an archer like this. Too limited as a one-trick-pony. For real game play I also would always mac out HP as early as possible even if this means a small delay. Training HP 1 so late just doesn't seem to make sense to be a few minutes faster to reach your goal.
But where I think it really shines is as a step by step guide for non fighters. Take a crafter or gatherer and train him/her up in archery to be able to join fighting occasionally. I'm thinking about my daughters tailor. She will never be an archer T3 this year - but it is a good roadmap to spend a minimum on XP for fighting and still get up as high as possible.

Thanks
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Tyncale
Thanks for the headsup, Thod. I agree that the Hitpoints purchases should be moved all the way to the top as much as possible. They have few requirements that can be easily met early on, and they do not cost much XP either so its not that you are delaying reaching other Landmarks very much. There are some landmarks that I focus on in order to reach them asap (Tier 2, being able to use selfheals) while still being a viable build, and early HP purchase should indeed be part of that. I will change that.

I do not really agree about the one trick pony thing; don't forget that this build also levels you up till Fighter 12 and gives you the 2 Fighter Role Attacks too, so you need only to spend a little extra to become quit a viable Sword or Spear fighter too. Also, this Build is what I seem to be ending up with in the end, after having spent *MUCHOS* XP on all sorts of other stuff that I do no use at all anymore. smile But that's personal, no doubt. smile

I do not use my Forester (9) or Scavenger 8 skills anymore since I stopped Gathering. smile
I am also a Cleric 7 that has both Greater Cure and Mass Lesser Cure slotted, however I end up never using them because they heal for so little since I favor my Bow Specialization Role Feat over any other rolefeat. Wasting Power on a 200 heal is not worth it. Casting time is also so slow that I have a very hard time saving players from the brink of death that are bleeding out.

Since I only PvE, all the other expendables exept heals are useless to me. I already regret learning Chase which cost me 3 days of XP.

I also think leveling up Utilities is currently useless because it adds so little to the duration (and often adds nothing to the effect or stacks themselves).

Not sure how much extra XP you would have to spend to become a viable melee fighter too but not that much I am thinking, unless you want to have more then just the role attacks.

NB: Since the hitpoint purchases do have *some* reqs that mostly require you to have killed stuff, I think I will simply add an advice at the start of the guide, to train Hitpoints every time as soon as you hit the right amount of Achievement points (Adventure, Crafting etcetera). Also added Power training to this advice.
Edam
With that build you should end up sitting on around CON 10.4 already, so getting CON 11 for T2 consumable/token heals would not be a huge task. Archer to 8 (for +3 Captains) with some XP into recovery and encumbrance bonuses would get you up around 10.6 and then a bit of cross training.
EDIT: Archer 8 actually needs CON 11.
Midnight
Edam
With that build you should end up sitting on around CON 10.4 already, so getting CON 11 for T2 consumable/token heals would not be a huge task. Archer to 8 (for +3 Captains) with some XP into recovery and encumbrance bonuses would get you up around 10.6 and then a bit of cross training.

Mining gives con, and lots of players just can't run past a node, anyway. :-)
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Edam
Midnight
Edam

Mining gives con, and lots of players just can't run past a node, anyway. :-)

This is true.

Also if you were actually building for both T3 Bow and T3 Archer Armor you need a lot more than CON 11 eventually anyway.
Tyncale
Archer Armor feat uses Dex, not Con. Medium Armor Proficiency 3 also uses Dex, needing 20, and training the Archer Armorfeat to level 10(also needing a Dex of 20) gives you the Truesilver (tier 3) keyword.

So when you finish this guide, you are ready to train the stuff needed for wearing Tier 3 Armor, all requirements are met. But that will cost you extra xp so I will make that clear in the Guide (about 43k xp to train Medium Armor Prof 3 and another 4 levels of Archer up to 10).

The guide is meant to see how fast you can get to Tier 3 Bow attacks with a Build that includes Healing, Armor, Reactives/Defensives and some utility. You can make adjustments off course: indeed take the Archer Armor Feat up to 8 when you have reached Dex 14 so you can use +3 Captains Chainmail to full effect. You can off course also start to invest in Con and melee attacks and so forth but that would be a different build that undoubtedly takes a lot longer.

Con 11 is certainly an important treshold so I see a lot of people try to reach that in any case. I think I indeed would opt for Miner/Encumbrance. With the above build you are indeed sitting on 10.66 con already. I will put up a link to the *.txt file of this build that you can then put in the trainings_plan folder of where you put Nightdrifters calculator. It now has a nifty "undo last trained" feature so you can go back in steps with the build and add adjustments yourself.

Link to the file of the Build.

Download as *.txt file and put in training_planner folder, then Import when you are in the trainingsplanner tab.
Thod-Theodum
Tyncale
My comment of a 1-trick pony might have been too harsh. But I think if you take 1 year of experience, use everything you have listed - and then have 1 month 'extra' then you will likely have a much more rounded character.
Knowledge for drops
Basic gathering - rank 1-3 costs close to nothing but you might occasionally do a tiny bit to help out and gathering 0 really just takes toooooo long
Encumbrance - even if it just is to stay longer in a PvE battle because of drops

There extras are beyond the scope and you had to concentrate to get one goal as fast as possible. But I wanted to add this here. Likely a 90% focussed 10% other char is much more versatile. But off course you would lose the race to be first.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post