Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

$15 per month for an alpha/beta...

Duffy Swiftshadow
Honestly this game is not in an Alpha state. Alphas are awful borderline unplayable and ridiculously unstable shells of a game. That does not describe PFO right now. It's stable, has a limited set of major features that work just fine, all progress is persistent, and has fast iterations that are again pretty stable.

Is it a feature complete game? No, and for that I would say sure the game's features are in a state somewhere between Beta and what we would like in a Release. But is it Alpha or Beta quality code? No, it's not. It's a released game with limited mechanics that is quickly expanding. Because of how the game is designed those playing now will have an advantage in breadth of capabilities in the long run, but new players can catch up to them in effectiveness for a specific area in a just under 2 months. There will be plenty of opportunity to expand and control areas of the map, this sort of game is not one where you conquer half the map in an afternoon, it's about long term planning and action. Besides half or more of the map is empty right now, making it even easier for groups to come in.

If you look at a game like EVE and think 'they started way before me I can't compete' (aside from being technically wrong) then this sort of game is probably never going to be for you. But that's okay, it's all subjective. It is what it is and it does what it does.
Quijenoth Starkiller
Dranemra
What I see isn't very impressive: A graphics engine that looks to be about 2 decades behind modern (even free-to-play) games. A combat system that's easily a decade below modern games. There's no combat log, I can't see who's hitting me, or who I'm hitting for that matter. I was killed and I don't know how.

Unity 4 was released in November 2012 and only very recently replaced with Unity 5. while its not cutting edge it isnt exactly 2 decades old!

PFO are pushing Unity into areas of gaming it wasn't built for and the art team is small. Yet even over the past 6 months we have seen repeated graphics upgrades across the board. In time more polished graphics will replace what we have now and perhaps in the future they may advance onto Unity 5/6?
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Dranemra
What I see isn't very impressive: A graphics engine that looks to be about 2 decades behind modern (even free-to-play) games.
I'm sure it's been said before, but Pathfinder is working to capture a particular visual style. I may misunderstand the actual complaint about graphics, but I think that part of what some people are seeing as a "graphics" problem is not knowing (or understanding) that. I think if people took a look at the art for which the Pathfinder game is well-known, and in particular, the work of Wayne Reynolds, it might help them to understand why the models are not intended to carry a high level of realism.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Tink says Stab
People who say that the graphics engine looks 2 decades old don't know what they are talking about. The cast shadows that Unity uses would kill your average machine from as recent as 6 years ago. The shader technology is also reasonably up to date.

The reason the game looks as bad as it does is almost entirely due to bad animations, and procedural terrain generation.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Edam
I think this game is well worth the sub to me. If anything PFO is a bit too addictive if you are in a functioning settlement with active members.

If people do not think its worth it to them they should of course go play something else.

However why do people need to pop into the forums continually and announce the game is not worth it to them ? I may not think buying a Ferrari is a good investment for me on my current income but you do not see me picketing the local Italian Sport Car dealer about it, I just go buy something else.

That said - what is even more annoying is the people who simultaneously announce there is no point paying for this game now (implying those of us who do play are stupid) AND complaining that it is unfair that those people who do enjoy it right now should have an XP advantage over them smile
Avari
Tinkerton
People who say that the graphics engine looks 2 decades old don't know what they are talking about. The cast shadows that Unity uses would kill your average machine from as recent as 6 years ago. The shader technology is also reasonably up to date.

The reason the game looks as bad as it does is almost entirely due to bad animations, and procedural terrain generation.

Yup.

I'll throw in lack of music/sound effects also. It's a big part of what people equate with the visceral gaming experience.
Midnight
Bringslite
What about more interesting promotions?
*A "Fast Track" limited time offer of xp from January 1, 2015 for one year's subscription.

By removing the box cost, I feel GW has already cut the value of each of my accounts, should I ever need or choose to sell. Letting new folks also catch up on xp without paying the same box cost I paid would be intolerable.

We took a much bigger gamble than latecomers did, and each time that gets discounted it will detract from GW (or its identifiable staff) ever being able to crowdfund anything in the future, as well as maybe just harming the whole crowdfunding concept for the industry.

I'm ok with a catch-up for those who psychologically must have what I have… just not for LESS than we paid when we were the ones taking a bigger gamble.

Heck, I'll pay for a year if I can have the xp dating back to January 1, 2014. :-) I mean I deserve it, right? :-)
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Edam
Midnight
Heck, I'll pay for a year if I can have the xp dating back to 2014. :-) I mean I deserve it, right? :-)

Yep, in fact, I will pay for THREE years if they let us backdate XP to 01/01/2012. smile smile
Midnight
Edam
Midnight
Heck, I'll pay for a year if I can have the xp dating back to 2014. :-) I mean I deserve it, right? :-)

Yep, in fact, I will pay for THREE years if they let us backdate XP to 01/01/2012. smile smile

Tier 9, here I come. :-)

Hey, Phyllain, we need to grab 63 more towers to max my training. smile
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Midnight
…We took a much bigger gamble than latecomers did…
Yes. We did. Part of that gamble was that they wouldn't have to undercut us to make the game work.

Losing some of that gamble is better than losing all of it.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post