Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

$15 per month for an alpha/beta...

Edam
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Midnight
…We took a much bigger gamble than latecomers did…
Yes. We did. Part of that gamble was that they wouldn't have to undercut us to make the game work.

Losing some of that gamble is better than losing all of it.

Maybe so. But there is an awful lot of:

"hey you guys are really dumb for playing PFO right now you must be morons - BUT its also totally unfair if you really dumb people have an advantage over us when we smart types do decide we want to play"
Bringslite
Midnight
Bringslite
What about more interesting promotions?
*A "Fast Track" limited time offer of xp from January 1, 2015 for one year's subscription.

By removing the box cost, I feel GW has already cut the value of each of my accounts, should I ever need or choose to sell. Letting new folks also catch up on xp without paying the same box cost I paid would be intolerable.

We took a much bigger gamble than latecomers did, and each time that gets discounted it will detract from GW (or its identifiable staff) ever being able to crowdfund anything in the future, as well as maybe just harming the whole crowdfunding concept for the industry.

I'm ok with a catch-up for those who psychologically must have what I have… just not for LESS than we paid when we were the ones taking a bigger gamble.

Heck, I'll pay for a year if I can have the xp dating back to January 1, 2014. :-) I mean I deserve it, right? :-)

Sure you would deserve an equal right to take advantage of any promo to start another account! TBH and IMO, that would not be a really good idea for a promo anyway. No matter how many times you do something like that, there will be people later, saying it is too late for them to start. They could never catch up!!

I am open to letting promotions slide by without much complaint if they can get new players in here. Just about every problem (for GW AND current players), except opinions about quality, can be reduced or eliminated with more population.

Everyone knows that there is $$$ value in accounts for some MMOs. Not everyone looks at their entertainment that way. My "investment" here is in relationships. I don't want the game to fail and some of those relationships to drift. I am pretty sure that there isn't another MMO out there that everyone I have been happy to meet and work with here would all want to move to.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Midnight
I get that, and would like the game to succeed, but I don't want to be/feel personally financially cheated for a successful game that would ultimately let Ryan or Lisa outbid me for mansion housing or collectible movie props even more than they already can, today. smile

GW needs to find ways to promote the game that won't simultaneously screw their earlier players. I don't have all the answers on what those promotions would be (or I'd already own Yoda smile), but like I said, sometimes in their life these folks may want to crowdfund again, and players have long memories and share their memories with other players, so throwing us under the bus in the HOPE of more success would eventually come back to haunt them.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Auriga
This game has been a work of love from the start, this is one of the lowest if not the lowest MMO launch budget I have heard of. At it's worst look at this as a long term investment, if not for the hope for what the game could become than as an example of potential support other small budget MMO's could garner.
Edam
Midnight
I get that, and would like the game to succeed, but I don't want to be/feel personally financially cheated for a successful game that would ultimately let Ryan or Lisa outbid me for mansion housing or collectible movie props even more than they already can, today. smile

GW needs to find ways to promote the game that won't simultaneously screw their earlier players. I don't have all the answers on what those promotions would be (or I'd already own Yoda smile), but like I said, sometimes in their life these folks may want to crowdfund again, and players have long memories and share their memories with other players, so throwing us under the bus in the HOPE of more success would eventually come back to haunt them.

I think things like Azlanti stones are meant to be a step in that direction.
Bringslite
Bluddwolf started a thread on MMORPG asking for some constructive input.

It has gotten a little sloppy, but then, they are as "cliquey" there as we are here.

The major input seems to revolve around quality. Since GW almost certainly can't fix (fast enough to triple the player base) all the issues listed there, what do you do?

*Continue on stalwartly with the plan. Great if they can keep the lights on. GW, please keep the lights on!

*Adjust the pricing until you get a critical mass of subscribers. Less income for GW = small team and slow improvement. Again, can the bottom line take that?

*Use attractive promotions to win over segments of the market that will go for that sort of thing.
-What is the difference for GW if a player has more than one or two xp earning characters on his/her account? Is a steady subscription with those extra characters better than no subscription?
-No matter how much xp you might back date, players still have to get the achieves to use it. I still could care less and would be fine with it if it spiked the pop each "limited time offer" was used.
-Increase the Free Trial to 30 days. Give them a chance to get past the graphics they complain about, the clunky combat they complain about so often, the stationary predictable mobs, etc… With 30 days, they might see past that and make some relationships or progress that encourages them to subscribe.

There are probably some issues involved with doing any or all of those things. Are those issues insurmountable with programming? Are they larger than the value of a healthy subscriber population?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Edam
You are never going to get the shiny churn crowd who want the latest greatest thrill. That is like trying to get big budget thriller movie fans to watch cult art movies. Wrong audience never going to happen.

Extending the free trial to 30 days is a possible good plan. How about two weeks free extended to 4 weeks free if you join a settlement in the first two weeks ?

Possibly with a proviso that no influence accrues for settlements until the account is subbed to avoid rorting by the existing playerbase.
Duffy Swiftshadow
Honestly a couple of bucks to turn XP on for secondary and tertiary characters would squeek a bit more out of me.
Tyncale
I still think that development is slow and that with a team of 20, 2-3 years of development and close to 5 million funding, we should at least have stuff like the F-keys actually working for targetting the correct group-member. And then a billion more things like that (being able to take a certain specific amount from a stack for instance). Or tabs. Or scrolling in the UI. Or company chat and settlement chat. Or hearing footsteps. Better Character-creation. Elves not looking like Anorectics. Having to wait months before a certain Buff icon shows up in the game.

There's some stuff working which delivers the fun, but everything is still extremely barebone imo. A team of 20 is not 4 guys in a basement, and sometimes I feel this game has the production values of such a basement-project. The only thing setting this apart are the development and network resources that must have gone into tackling the huge challenge of the "one-world Hex" thing which is rather unique in MMO-land.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Duffy Swiftshadow
Those are fighting words :-)

As a software engineer: it's never as easy as you think, it's usually the things that seem stupidly simple that are the most work or the hardest to fix. It's always weird like that. If it seems stupidly easy and it's not fixed, it's probably not stupidly easy.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post