Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Attack Balance Considerations

Tink says Stab
I was killed by a mage in the South a week ago. Didn't catch the name, but they were throwing magic at me. Kept knocking me up and about somehow, plus they managed to get an annoying as all hell 5 second stun on me just as I got in range.

Plus you fuckers keep killing me in group combat. Focused ranged DPS that I have no resistances for rips me to shreds.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Tabomo
+1 to Els. Especially with the most recent batch of added hps. +400 or 500 or whatever is 1/2 more hits for you on a Mage and 3/4 more hits for a Mage on you. Just too easy to heal back
Tabomo
Were you using speed pots? Cause hold monster is a slow as hell cast
Tink says Stab
Tabomo
Were you using speed pots? Cause hold monster is a slow as hell cast

Nyet, he got the jump on me.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Elmin Sterro
Tinkerton
I was killed by a mage in the South a week ago. Didn't catch the name, but they were throwing magic at me. Kept knocking me up and about somehow, plus they managed to get an annoying as all hell 5 second stun on me just as I got in range.

Plus you fuckers keep killing me in group combat. Focused ranged DPS that I have no resistances for rips me to shreds.

Unless all Wizards are intended to be Enchanters, I don't think that particular experience should be assumed to be the norm. If you are an Enchanter right now, you are in pretty good shape though.
Tagnar
I think judging each role 1v1 vs another role is just not away to judge whether the role is "balanced."

Each role is a piece with a specific role, or job, to do in a group setting. I would never expect each class in an mmo to be just as good 1v1 any combination. I expect that each will bring some piece to the table which will increase the effectiveness of a GROUP. That isn't as easy to balance honestly but trying to balance each role for 1v1 pvp leads to an uninteresting and bland game experience as each character comes closer and closer to re-skinned clones with differently named feats and only slight variations in mechanics. Paper rock scissors is a valid way to balance pvp to some degree however I am more interested in small group dynamics. Match up 2 roles vs 2 roles and go through all the combinations including 2 of the same roles and find out which ones just don't "contribute" to any of the team ups. I suspect this will show that wizards contribute significantly in a group dynamic (as well as fighters and clerics as most would agree) where rogues don't quite bring anything different or better than the other roles.

The best role a rogue can fill right now I think is as a maneuverable bow kiter. A wizard built properly can do something similar to this as well though with the added benefit of having the fastest buffs which can affect party members.
Tagnar, Ironbreaker of Forgeholm
High Priest of Abadar
Nihimon
Elsworth Sugarfoot
If you could try and recreate this data I would appreciate it…

I'll talk with Decius about designing some test cases and we'll see what we can come up with.

In general, if I get the jump on someone - that is, if I can land Hold Monster before they get close enough to interrupt me - I've got a decent chance of beating them, but it's still possible for a good player to turn the tables on me. So far, the only way I've been able to turn the tables on anyone else is by running away and even that's sketchy because of the fact that Speed/Haste doesn't last as long as Speed Pots.

I used to be reasonably effective staying away using Windrider, but that was always complicated by the fact that Charges would land before the Evade would trigger, and even more by the fact that Spears had better range than Windrider.

Stephen, can you please seriously consider giving Windrider a 10 Meter range?
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Dreamslinger
Nihimon

It does seem odd that a ranged attack has a shorter range than melee now.
Stephen Cheney
Dreamslinger
Nihimon

It's always had the same range as a spear, and increased when spear range increased. Has that always been a problem or has something about the melee range change made that more of a problem now?
Dreamslinger
Stephen Cheney
Dreamslinger
Nihimon

It's always had the same range as a spear, and increased when spear range increased. Has that always been a problem or has something about the melee range change made that more of a problem now?

Goblinary lists Windrider as having a 4m range and a 10 meter evade. The EE8 release notes list melee range at 5m and spears getting 6.5m. It might be that Goblinary is using outdated data.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post