Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Cleric + dabbling in crafting?

Happycamper
I'm looking at an Evangelist cleric build, probably a follower of Desna (I like Chaotic Good and the Travel domain, luck seems fun..) Aura buffs (I think those are in there), a bit of healing, with just enough combat to prevent being bored…
I do enjoy dabbling in crafting type things and it looks like some crafting would help me increase my wisdom score later.

Questions:

1) Is "dabbling" in crafting a bad thing in general?

It seems that the power increase over time is slight so that I don't necessarily _need_ to be maxxed out on one thing to contribute to a group. Thus I might have some points to put into crafting in some manner.

I was thinking a bit of crafting might get me some money on the side to pay for whatever it is I'll be needing (equipment?, training?) I would also think it was a fun thing to do while I wasn't in a group… Is earning coin on the side worth it, or does one really need to go all-in on crafting for it to be a net positive income…

2) If I dabble as cleric, what crafts should I look at?

I find gathering fun, so figured I'd boost that a bit. I understand that Scavenger, Forester (both gathering), Iconographer and Apothecary are all wisdom related.

Should I go after TWO crafts, one a refiner and one a maker? If so, would Apothecary –> Iconographer be useful? (I realize that all the "making" crafts require stuff from several of the "refining" crafts.)

———–

I realize that's a lot of questions. I've found much to read online about how to play a cleric but not so much how to play a class + a bit of crafting…

Decius
One major issue with dabbling is that it takes a lot of XP to make the things you want, and there's almost always something that you need one more level for.
Happycamper
Decius
One major issue with dabbling is that it takes a lot of XP to make the things you want, and there's almost always something that you need one more level for.

My thoughts were along the 100xp/hour thing and the exponential requirements for everything as you go up… If it takes a couple days to level something, it would take a week to get the next level.

If I give up the top level or two of one thing (my "class" say) that saves me a LOT of exp, so I'm thinking I might be able to get a crafting skill or something up to a few levels below the top of that skill as well…

ie. since experience cost is so top-loaded, if one doesn't worry about maxxing things out there is quite a bit of room for diversity one would think.

Part of the question would be the viability of someone who isn't maxxed out. The way the combat seems, characters can still contribute significantly (ie. be an asset and not a liability in a group) even if they're a few levels lower on some feats/skills/whatever… The question is then, is a crafter who hasn't maxxed out their levels worth having around?
Duffy Swiftshadow
Maxing out will take almost 2 years and outside of a few cases give negligible benefit. Crafting can also help with getting through stat gates, especially if you want to avoid sinking xp into things like features you never plan to use. I would reccomend focusing on getting to maxed out T2 and then plan from there based on how the game's T3 availability is progressing.
Tigari
It depends on what that crafter is selling, If you're at a level where you can sell things, and there's a constant market for that item, and then you choose to diversify some, everything is ok. It also depends on how much money you want to make.

Lets say you only get up to armorsmith 5, and you can constantly sell t1+2 armor to newer people joining the game, you have a steady income, but you cant expect to become a merchant prince off of that. Now, if your talking about getting to T2 gear, then swapping over, that may be a little safer. Although, We don't know what the market will look like once T3 enters the game.

Getting to T3 will take a conderable amount of time and xp. I have a level 12 leatherworker, and need 64479xp to advance to 13, then 74780xp to advance to 14.
Happycamper
Tigari
It depends on what that crafter is selling, If you're at a level where you can sell things, and there's a constant market for that item, and then you choose to diversify some, everything is ok. It also depends on how much money you want to make.

Lets say you only get up to armorsmith 5, and you can constantly sell t1+2 armor to newer people joining the game, you have a steady income, but you cant expect to become a merchant prince off of that. Now, if your talking about getting to T2 gear, then swapping over, that may be a little safer. Although, We don't know what the market will look like once T3 enters the game.

Getting to T3 will take a considerable amount of time and xp. I have a level 12 leatherworker, and need 64479xp to advance to 13, then 74780xp to advance to 14.

I've mostly focused on how to become a Cleric and put off delving into the depths of crafting until I decided what I wanted to craft… so I'm not clear on which level crafting I need for which tier… You're saying lvl 5 would let me make stuff around the beginner level and sell it cheaply to newish players.

I'm not interested in getting rich crafting, but would still like to have the crafting I do break even (preferably make more money than it costs me to just sell the materials…smile

I'm not sure what you mean by "Tier 2 and then swapping over"… do you mean crafting Tier 2 stuff then switching back to adventuring/combat again?

Would it be wiser to dabble in a refining skill instead, like Apothecary or something? (since it's wisdom based..) I like gathering but would love to use some of it to do something. (Another outlet for myself to "feel like I'm getting better" in addition to the whole combat/adventuring thing.)
Locke
If you are going to be a desna cleric, consider gathering refining miner/smelter. Ande the come join dream seekers in Tavernhold. There miner smelter is a method of raising CON. Iconographer is another choice brut getting to T2 will take quite a bit of timid from being a cleric. And T1 goods will not be as useful to you after a month or so.
Tigari
learing a craft that uses a stat you need would be wisest. You shouldn't have a problem with your primary stat, but sooner or later you may need a secondary stat (or even a third), so I'd look into that ( requires you to do some planning though). and by getting to t2 training then swapping; yes I ment getting your crafting training up to T2, then going back into combat (assuming you just wanted to "dabble, although T2 would be a little more then dabbling)
Edam
For clerics gathering is fairly optimal. You get CON from mining and WIS from scavenging and forestry.

As far as "dabbling" in crafting the choice there will partly depend on ammunition and how expensive/difficult it is to come by once it is implemented. Taking iconographer levels to make your own ammo (charges) may be a good thng to do as a cleric.
Bunibuni
It also depends on what makes you happy.
Do you just want to fight and heal? Or just maximize your cleric's abilities. Then no.
Do you want to do some gathering while fighting and healing? Then get your gathering skills up.
Do you want to also make some items for your cleric's own use or to sell? Then get some crafting skills.

There is no "wrong" choice in this game because you are in it for the fun you can get out of it.
Crafting! Gathering! Monster Killing! Exploring! Politicking! That's us in a nutshell! Ranged Attackers, crafters and gatherers come join the Holy Magicks company based out of High Road. Our main motto is "Death Thru Superior Fire Powers!"

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post