Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Really Disappointed

Ryan Dancey
You have needs and they have needs.

You have a need for training and gear. They have need for resources and defense. That creates a condition for meaningful human interaction.

How you find the people you want to deal with is a complex problem. The resources we give you are the "General" channel where you can talk to everyone logged into the game at the same time, and the Settlement resource page here on this site: https://goblinworks.com/pathfinder-online/settlements/

We've got some other plans coming up in the next few releases to help make it even easier for you to find a group to interact with.

Fundamentally you decide which game loop you want to be playing in: The exploration/adventuring loop, or the crafting/development loop. The game is designed so that people need stuff from the other loop to accomplish much beyond the basics. How that exchange happens is totally up to the players.
Rynnik
BlackDog
Heroic gameplay isnt growing or collecting carrots for my friends, its about kicking some monster ass and looting some treasure.
You couldn't be more wrong.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Duffy Swiftshadow
@Blackdog

If you're looking for people use the big General Chat window, we're there and we'll respond.

This is not a directed hero of the quest style game. This is a sandbox with a lot of options (and it's fairly incomplete, imagine when it's got more stuff!). You can do a lot of different things or change your direction at a whim, but the costs of those advantages is a lot of complexity. The story is whatever you want it to be, your goals are whatever you want them to be. If you wanna play this game solo you totally can, but you will have some difficulties in certain areas and slow downs trying to do so.

From your post it sounds like you're primarily a solo player and looking for a guided story experience, you won't find that in this game, this game is about building or joining communities. Maybe it's not for you and that's okay too.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
BlackDog
Heroic gameplay isnt growing or collecting carrots for my friends, its about kicking some monster ass and looting some treasure.
That's correct. Killing monsters in PFO gets you loot and salvage which allows you to trade for and buy what you need. Helping a group clear an escalation allows you to loot Tokens and materials that are essential for the settlements to build holdings and outposts to support and expand their training capacity, while at the same time keeping the worst threats clear of the area for those who want to mine and scavenge for raw materials. Settlements can not succeed without people going out and killing monsters. In return, they will produce the weapons and armour you need to kill more.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Stilachio Thrax
BlackDog
Working with other people to get what?

I get the concept, however I prefer to be self sufficient and self supporting, if I am part of a community, what do I bring other than a warm spot in the ranks? You can call it "Soloing" if you like, but the most common flaw in many of these MMOs is finding yourself in game with no one to help or adventure with, either because of numbers, game design, time of day, introverted game play, language barriers, or lack of a direction/quest. I do not want to owe anyone anything for my existence, or beg for a handout. So what if I do ask, and then some kind person gives me a +2 sword. Did I earn that somehow? No, its crap to me, no story behind it. Will I go try to recover my body? No, why should I when all I have to do is beg another. Can I make my own? Sure, given a long time of harvest/craft/recipe that a 2 week trial wont net me anything.

If the game designers want us to collaborate throughout a game, why start us in the middle of a 3 horse town with only other newbies and not in a major city where we can be assimilated properly, outfitted, and recruited? At this point, about 4 hrs in, I have no idea how other than by accident to find another player, where anything is in the world, or actually care. Im not trying to be negative, but I have played some really crappy MMOs and even they succeed on this. Heroic gameplay isnt growing or collecting carrots for my friends, its about kicking some monster ass and looting some treasure. Someone has sanitized this hot mess, or at least made it another game where you have to discover all the tricks and knacks to succeed by giving it an unnecessary learning curve.

A couple of points:
1) The reason to start in Thornkeep rather than a player settlement is that the various player settlements differ in philosophy, training and playstyle. If you were a LG player, would you want to be randomly placed in Golgotha, and if you were evilly inclined, Ozem's Vigil isn't right for you, so why should the game put you there? Ask around about settlements that suit what you want out of the game and fit with your vision of your character, both here on the forums and in-game.

2) I'm part of Ozem's Vigil. We freely help equip our Brothers and Sisters because by making them stronger, it makes the settlement stronger. This isn't charity per se, as most of us donate expendables, recipes and materials that we can't use to the settlement for those that can use them in return. It all evens out in the end. Further, when you use that gear to defend the settlement in PVP, or help take down an escalation in PVE, you ARE earning your keep. Other settlements may do things differently.

3) We all define heroic gameplay differently. In a sandbox, there are many ways to be a hero, some of which may never involve picking up a sword but allow those that do to prevail.

This may not be the game for you, and that's fine. I've played a number of the more typical fantasy MMOs, and to me, they are the same house with a different paint scheme. If nothing else, PFO is different, and as long as GW continues to improve it, that will be enough for me.
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Mbando
Blackdog, if you want to fight this–if you insist on playing this game as if it were a themepark MMO like EQ or WOW, or a single-player CRPG like Baldur's Gate ("Where YOUR the hero!"smile–you will absolutely be disappointment. You don't even have to test it–for sure PFO will not play like those models.

If instead you decide to try the game PFO is–if you join a settlement and either be a crafter/developer or an adventurer, you MAY have fun. It can be a lot of fun, but then again, maybe it's not your cup of tansy. But at least you'll know then smile
A member of Ozem's Vigil, home to servants of Iomedae and her coming Paladins.
vikhalfhand
your tutorial is a confusing your starting areas npc s are totally useless. there is no flow and unless you know the awkward terminology the npcs make no sense. you need to tell us what feats do and what class they are a part of. a player told me in general chat that I had lots of choices but that was not clear after reading the feats. your player guides did not open for me so I couldn't tell you if they were useful or not. the 15 dollar charge for this mess is out rageous and In my opinion I wouldn't extend the free trial at all until you clean this mess up. it will only get you more bad press. I give it a hardy thumbs down after 3 hours of frustration
BlackDog
Mbando
Blackdog, if you want to fight this–if you insist on playing this game as if it were a themepark MMO like EQ or WOW, or a single-player CRPG like Baldur's Gate ("Where YOUR the hero!"smile–you will absolutely be disappointment. You don't even have to test it–for sure PFO will not play like those models.

If instead you decide to try the game PFO is–if you join a settlement and either be a crafter/developer or an adventurer, you MAY have fun. It can be a lot of fun, but then again, maybe it's not your cup of tansy. But at least you'll know then smile

I, like many others, landed on Planet Golarion with no preconcieved ideas. How am I to know what a game is until I try it? Another friend who plays similar games also made a character up and tried the game, he came to the exact same conclusions I did, he actually had a worse experience than I did, he made up a mage character and immediately died to magic resistant monsters. This isnt selling the game to the un-initiated. I have no insistance to play anything any particular "way". Obviously, there is a higher power saying this is not true by design. No one here who is proposing "Join Me" has given me a compelling reason to be part of a collective other than strength in numbers, we will give you stuff. Why cant I depend on the strength of my own arm?

This game has no connection to Pathfinder, and I refuse to drive a dwarf version of a cyborg-crafting-bot Eve spaceship to earn spacebucks through an empty universe. Question yourselves, why is this even called Pathfinder? There is no Path.
Giorgio
BlackDog,

Did you read the New Players Guide and/or asked for help in the general chat? smile

Pathfinder University is very helpful for new players in their first 15 days of game time.

As for the "pathfinder-ish" part of the game, it is a work in progress and will be receiving more Golarion lore specific content in the July server wide event and when the PF faction system comes on line.
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
BlackDog
I did read the new player guide, which was added 2 days after I started.
I made my character as a test drive. I did not seek help needing none. I dont think I should have to ask for help, read a manual, or google a starting character in any game. If I crash in flames, I will make another and crash some more. You are inferring a complexity that I do not understand the game, and are stating the game has more to offer than what I can see.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post