Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Dev Question: Useless skills that raise ability scores

Grimarr
My long range goal is to make my main character a druid. If you are able to add in the skills, (as useless as they may be now) I would prefer it. That way I can spend the exp to have the character I want ready for when the skills are actually implemented. Being able to put exp into animal handling and other stuff like that would be great, even if it only boosts attributes right now.
Nihimon
Lee Hammock
Would players find the ability to buy these skills useful even if they don't do anything yet?

Yes! That would be awesome. smile
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Dazyk of Phaeros
Yes, please include them.
Dazyk Half-Elven, Elder of the Frozen Fingers, the shock- troops of Phaeros. If you are a fighter, cleric, or rogue, and enjoy battle, be it PVP or PVE, we are the company for you! We welcome role-players, casual gamers, and hardcore players alike.

Find your hidden strength, join the Frozen Fingers today!
Dazyk's PFO Resources Folder
Giorgio
Yes, as long as it's clear what they do and that it's effects are not fully implemented yet.
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Kitsune
Giorgio
Yes, as long as it's clear what they do and that it's effects are not fully implemented yet.

Completely agree. I want the option to start molding my character from "Day 1 EE" to become a Druid or Ranger, and begin obtaining the prereq's for these roles as soon as possible - especially if there are other (minor) mechanical benefits for these skills/feats, such as ability score increases or whatnot.

I'm saying that if my character could take Handle Animal and gain a small amount of an ability score (personality) that might be useful as a prerequisite for something else interim, I would gladly take such a skill to both prepare for my character to become a druid and to advance my character's current role progression.

And of course, as Giorgio mentions, it would be absolutely critical that there is information about what these skills currently do, what they will eventually do (perhaps even including what role they will be useful for later), and a clear indicator that the skill is otherwise currently useless.
TheGoodfellow
I also feel this would be good. One of my concerns with raising skills purely to get attributes up is that it is basically wasting exp just to continue leveling skills you actually want. In the current build of alpha, my rogue is required to take some crafting skills, and/or other class skills just to level particular attributes for my rogue skills. I do not like this idea. Why throw exp on a skill I don't intend to use (such as a crafting skill) just to level an attribute for a skill I will use? There needs to be another way, or something. Maybe this will be that way, having "Future use" skills in game now for their attribute increase, even if they don't do anything else yet.
Brighthaven Leader
I would add in EVERYTHING that you can, so that people have a broader use of their exp to get the exact builds that they want. It might be months, it might be years before the skill is implemented, but it is still giving them something useful. Also, for the RP inclined, it helps to flesh out their character sheet, and for those that waited they will have a leg up on others for their early investment.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Khanar
I would vote to add them in.
Decius
Add the skills, but put all of the unimplemented skills on the same trainer, and put that trainer somewhere strange where it is clear that the skills aren't implemented yet.

When the skills get implemented, move them to the appropriate trainer.
Kitsune
Decius
Add the skills, but put all of the unimplemented skills on the same trainer, and put that trainer somewhere strange where it is clear that the skills aren't implemented yet.

When the skills get implemented, move them to the appropriate trainer.

There's an interesting idea. A sort of mysterious oracle-type guy that foresees the future and convinces you that it's somehow a good idea to buy these "useless" skills…

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post