Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Bushcraft Skill

Quijenoth
I propose a new survival craft skill that lets you make items such as ammunition, food, armor, weapons and such from salvage using a campfire.

The quality of these survival items is heavily reduced in comparison to crafted items but it can at least provide with some benefit than having nothing at all.

Armor: made provides the 1 minor keyword, tier 2 provides 2 minor keywords, and tier 3 provides 2 minor keywords and the masterwork keyword. all makeshift items are considered +0

Weapons: follow the same pattern providing bludgeoning, slashing or piercing keywords at T1, a second minor keyword for T2 and masterwork for T3.

Shelter: you can build a makeshift shelter onto a basic campfire that provides you with a safe place to log out of the game in the wilderness. This works similar to the base camps but has no vault. the shelter lasts 24 hours. Shelters have stealth and provides those within range that state if grouped with the owner also if they click on the shelter or if they are logging into the game. I think shelters could also be a good asset for bandits setting up a place to ambush from and would be fun to see (or not see as the case may be) bandit NPCs spawn with a shelter!

Food: consumed when you use the camp fire to regenerate power to increase the effective power regen.

Ammunition: used with ranged weapons.

Recipes (to be spread out over the 6 levels
Train rations
Makeshift Arrows
Makeshift Charge (Arcane)
Makeshift Charge (Divine)
Makeshift Knife: Piercing, ?, Masterwork
Makeshift Club: Bludgeoning, ?, Masterwork
Makeshift Spear: Piercing, ?, Masterwork
Makeshift Sword: Slashing, ?, Masterwork
Makeshift Greatclub: Bludgeoning, ?, Masterwork
Makeshift Bow: Piercing, ?, Masterwork
Makeshift Shelter
Makeshift Clothing: Clothing, Organic, Masterwork
Makeshift Leather armor: Light, Organic, Masterwork
Makeshift Splintmail: Medium, Flexable, Masterwork
Makeshift Breastplate: Heavy, Strengthened, Masterwork

7-13 grants Improved makeshift items that add the second minor keyword, a makeshift tent and lasts 48 hours

14+ grants Masterwork makeshift items that adds the Masterwork keyword, a makeshift hut and lasts 72 hours
Rynnik
Why?
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Oldtimer
Can we please get the features that are IN the game working first?
Giorgio
Rynnik
Why?

Taking a guess, as the OP didn't state the reason why in his post, it is for "lone wolf" and "ranger role" players, to represent the abilities/use of the craft (survival) skill.
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Giorgio
Oldtimer

Proposing ideas does not detract from implementation of ideas already in the works, no need to shoot the OP like this. His post will be evaluated on its merits, not on what bugs, features and polish are being implemented/have yet to be implemented. smile
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

Tyncale
First, I love the idea of being able to do something with Salvage in the wilds.

However I am not sure if needing a weapon that is obviously much worse then the one you lost or broke, is going to happen a lot. At least as the game plays now, people only have a small run ahead to a place where they can get a new weapon: or if not, they just quit their session (PvP or PvE) and hoof it home. Also not sure if this feature will be needed with Sieges where large battles will happen and lots of stuff will break, with the attackers maybe being a long way from home: I think GW talked about supplylines for resources, with attackers needing to prepare Siege equipment on the spot in the days before the siege and possibly creating weapon caches and such: not sure how this could fit in.

I like the idea of making Campfires useful however. Right now they restore way too little Power: a level 11 Orderly Camp +0 that still requires a hefty amount of resources restores 90 power which is less then 15% of my total Power, and I am not even a caster. Considering the 4-hour cooldown, no way would I waste my cooldown on restoring a mere 15% of power, instead I run to a smallholding or settlement.

The problem with Campfires is that their scaling currently follows the ++-system. That means they have to start extremely low in order to get at least somewhat decent increments when you go from T1 +0, to T1, +1 etectera all the way to T3 +5, when you finally end up with a campfire that makes sense at that level.
Also, no way would I ever use *any* lucky +4 or +5 proc for this.

So the ++ should not scale for the amount of restored Power, but instead lower the cooldown. And the amount restored should simply start higher so that the amount restored actually makes sense for that level.

Using a +5 camp could bring the cooldown to 20% or so which is still 48 minutes. Very reasonable for a Campfire that uses +5 procs exclusively… and the amount restored should be something like 400-500 for that Orderly Camp.

To come back to Q's proposal (sorry Q, for plugging my own take on campfires, with a nod to Tagnar btw who brought this up), I think the food consumption idea could fit well into this: consuming food while meditating at the camp could add a percentage to the amount restored, depending on the quality of the food. These food-items could be crafted, or could be uncommon to rare drops from monsters, which again would be nice to make Loot more interesting.

The Shelter idea looks cool too: I personally would love to be able to hide from roaming PvP-folk but somehow I think those folk would not be as happy about such a feature as I am. Maybe this can be balanced somehow.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Giorgio
Tyncale,

Your campfire idea should really be posted in a new crowdforging thread so it can properly be considered and debated. smile

Tyncale
I may do that but tbh, it has been proposed before (I think by Q actually) and I am getting a little tired of prodding the devs and rehashing stuff, and then either get no reaction at all, or get the answer from the devs that they would love to do something like this, you know, in the future, when coding allows, and the planets are all aligned.

I mean, it *must* be obvious to them that absolutely NOBODY is using player-made camps, right?

< Queue some smarty pants who goes "Oh, I use them all the time!">
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Quijenoth Starkiller
Rynnik
Why?

see here

The idea really stems from the need to make trips to and from town every time you run out of ammo. something that, in times of war may be difficult. for example if I was gathering down by Brighthaven and got into PvP that broke my weapon or armor, or I ran out of ammo from hunting mobs with my bow, I could rely on this skill to get maybe another couple hours before returning to Callambea.
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner
Quijenoth Starkiller
Oldtimer

This is the crowdforging forum so it could be a viable idea to have happen now or in 5 years!

Either way, when inspiration for an idea hits me I like to get it down on paper so to speak and share with the development team and others.
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post