Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Love this game.

Ruiseart
My first few hours of this game are what made me fall in love with it.

Logged in and started making my character, was rather disappointed with the customization. Looking past the customization I pressed forward. First thing, DWARVES HAVE A 6 FOOT VERTICAL JUMP?!?!? I proceeded to run in a circle jumping and admiring the scenery(not joking I spent a good 30 mins doing this). Sadly, I got lost. I wandered to far from the tutorial zone(hex if that's what they are called). Panicked for abit and turned to google… NOTHING. Started pressing buttons and found the map, there wasn't any markings. I had the Idea of making and new character to find the relative position of spawn, It worked. Made my way back to spawn/tutorial Click on a tutorial npc, nothing happened. I double clicked and learned Like 5-6 things I didn't even want to, well s***. Then thought classes, I wanna be a monk. How do I become a monk? Google is useless maybe if I ask nicely players will help me, so I asked. Some one said "Thou must meditate to achieve enlightenment", I was floored. Then noticed some one posted before him that they weren't ingame yet, I was disappointed. Plan B make a fighter, fighter trainer was useless he kept telling me to open a bag in my inventory that wasn't there. So, I went to town to buy a sword. NO SHOPS!?!?!?!? So, I went to the auction house but I had no money. How do I get money… KILL EVERYTHING. I bought a steel sword for like 48 copper. I BECAME THE DESTROYER OF GOBLINS. Then I became over encumbered.

Total Time spent in game was 8 hours. As soon as my free trail is up(and I become competent) I'm subbing. Why? because I enjoyed running around like an idiot for 6 hours trying to figure out what do and not being able to google a damn thing. So, my rating 10/10 looking forward to bashing my head against crafting while saying in my head that I'm retared when I figure it out.

smile
Ruiseart
I'm an idiot just noticed the forums were more then just a general discussion, Art, News and Announcements, Recruitment, Support, and Crowdforging that would have helped earlier… I am just gonna make the decision to not look up anything, More fun that way.
Ravenlute
The game is still evolving and new so you will have a hard time finding anything legitimate on google. If you ask nicely in-game there's a decent chance you'll get help with whatever you need to know, either directly or by telling you where you can find the info.

I'm glad you enjoyed being dropped right into the fire and made an effort to figure things out for yourself. There's some folks that would not like that at all.

Good luck and have fun!
Myl - Herald of Stone Bear Clan (Tavernhold)
"You can walk into Tavernhold but a horse will have to carry you out."
Mbando
I applaud your spirit. It may not be the most effective approach, but you got Moxie, kid.
A member of Ozem's Vigil, home to servants of Iomedae and her coming Paladins.
Giorgio
I strongly recommend you read the New Player guide that is linked in the patcher, it will give you the basics and allow you to focus more on fun, then struggling with the interface/controls.
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
JoJampa
With all the recommendations to "read the New Player guide" .. which is advice I've given in-game at times as well .. would it be worthwhile to modify the new character creation process so that when a player creates a character, the first screen they see is something along the lines of "Welcome to PFO. For details about game mechanics and character creation, please read the New Player Guide" and have a link on that screen directly? Not sure if the tech exists to do this, but it is just a hyperlink and would ensure that such a recommendation is emphasized more than having the link in the patcher which is easily ignored.
Giorgio
JoJampa,

That is an excellent suggestion, please post it on the crowdforging forum. smile
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

Avari
LOl, yeah it does take a certain mentality to like this game and one of the prerequisites is "hard is fun". If you think Hard if fun, like achieving group objectives and making meaningful changes to the game you play in, then you'll love it here.

If not you'll find this game an exercise in insanity.
Mbando
The new patcher has three buttons that link you to the guides, fairly prominently displayed.
A member of Ozem's Vigil, home to servants of Iomedae and her coming Paladins.
Giorgio
Mbando
The new patcher has three buttons that link you to the guides, fairly prominently displayed.

Which seems to be virtually ignored by 90%+ of all the new players as evident by their questions, total sense of being overwhelmed, confused and lost when asking questions in chat and help channels.

I wonder if the word "Guide" is causing problems, as it suggests it is optional and not mandatory.

Perhaps "Manual", "Instructions" or "Rulebook" would be more accurate and get a better response/read rate.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post