Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Someday we will get the ability to log inoto a different character on the same account without restarting the client?

Nihimon
Tyncale
Playing two characters simultaneously from the same account, while paying only for one month of gametime does not seem like good business: they could be selling another month of gametime to that second player. I don't know how else I can put it.

I don't think you need to try to put it any other way. It's not that we don't understand the point you're making. It's that Ryan has already told us this would happen.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Daeglin
Nihimon
Tyncale
Playing two characters simultaneously from the same account, while paying only for one month of gametime does not seem like good business: they could be selling another month of gametime to that second player. I don't know how else I can put it.

I don't think you need to try to put it any other way. It's not that we don't understand the point you're making. It's that Ryan has already told us this would happen.

Except Ryan has said things in the past, and then been willing to change when it became apparent his original intent was not in the best interest of the game…
Good… Bad… I'm the guy with the bow.
Edam
Playing-time or game time its all semantics and not overly related to playing two characters at once.

In EVE you can only log in one of the three characters per account at one time - but you can pay to train as many as you want simultaneously. As long as you are paying for training on at least one of those characters you can log in and play all of them BUT not simultaneously.

The advantage of this over having multiple accounts is you can train up a 3 or 6 month trained alt for a specific purpose (such as a cyno or a PI alt) and then stop training but use him forever so long as the main is subbed. the disadvantage is you can never log the alt and main in at the same time.
Kitsune
Back to the point in the OP, this functionality was once in the game, back in Alpha or shortly after (don't remember exactly when it went away, and I'm too lazy to read through all the blogs to find it).

It was taken out because it was believed to be causing some of the de-sync issues that plagued the game for months. Ironically, turning off the "log out" feature didn't seem to help one bit, at least that we could tell from this side of the GW wall. Now that [seemingly] all the de-sync issues are resolved, I don't see why they don't flip it back on, or at least tell us that "indeed, it still does cause problems that haven't been resolved." Because, at this time, I'm not convinced it was ever a problem to begin with, and it should be restored.

But, it honestly doesn't bug me TOO much, because it takes mere seconds to re-launch the game. But, to contradict myself, those few seconds can be very precious when booted from the game mid-combat due to some silly bug or another.
tribuzio
Kitsune
But, it honestly doesn't bug me TOO much, because it takes mere seconds to re-launch the game. But, to contradict myself, those few seconds can be very precious when booted from the game mid-combat due to some silly bug or another.

For me instead it matter, as very often I can't relog with the same account for minutes and sometime teens of minutes after I log off. So switching character for me mean that I risk losing a consistent part of my gaming time.

Probably it is a network problem, maybe because for now PFO don't receive the route priorities other games receive, but it very fastidious to know that changing to another character on the same account can stop me from playing for half an hour. So i would like very much to be able to change character without closing the game.
Ryan Dancey
I can almost guarantee you that problem is due to a proxy server or some kind of caching system between you and us, and has nothing to do with the game or the server.
Locke
My use would support Ryan's statement. I still tend to hit the red X when trying to leave the AH. Then launch new client, log in and probably back in inside of a minute.

With two accounts, each with DT pair and a couple of alts, I will commonly start a session launching alts, checking activities on the auction houses they sit beside and then quickly on to one of the real play. I may cycle through all 6 within a couple minutes to check different things before I decide what to do with which. I can have one character from each account up (convenient for face-to-face trades, but can not mentally keep up with two active characters; so, I only run one at a time. As two are crafters, they tend not to need much attention.

In summary, I do not seem to have problems with launching many characters and switching between. Would I like it faster and switch between characters with out shut down, restart – yes. I understand that has risks that exit and relaunch avoids. At this point that is MVP and safer.
tribuzio
Ryan Dancey
I can almost guarantee you that problem is due to a proxy server or some kind of caching system between you and us, and has nothing to do with the game or the server.
Sure, but if I don't have to log off to switch I will not have that problem when changing characters on the same account.
sometime I have to do that a few times in a row to exchange items and if one get struck it is very annoying as that will prevent me from using the account.

Locke
My use would support Ryan's statement. I still tend to hit the red X when trying to leave the AH. Then launch new client, log in and probably back in inside of a minute.
As Ryan said, it is a problem of what exist between me and the GW server. The longer the route the higher the risk of problems.
As I live in Italy my route is longer than that of a US player.
I have heard that a few players (a minority) share my problem, I don't know if they too live oversea, but it seem probable.
I think PFO isn't recognized by all the networks as a MMORPG, AFAIK MMORPG traffic get some priority against other kinds of traffic where timing is less important. So it possible that that is the problem. Probably as soon as we leave EE it will disappear. It is already less common than during the Alpha and the first months of EE.
Bunibuni
You could have all your characters in the same company and just put everything in the company vault for the other alt to pick it up from. Quicker and easier that way. Though that doesn't solve all your problems, should help with some of them.
Crafting! Gathering! Monster Killing! Exploring! Politicking! That's us in a nutshell! Ranged Attackers, crafters and gatherers come join the Holy Magicks company based out of High Road. Our main motto is "Death Thru Superior Fire Powers!"

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post