Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Nothing to Fight for...

Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Decius
This thread was doing so well. Let's try to keep the server politics out of it please.

Right now there hasn't been any reward for winning strategic objectives that is inherently worth the cost of the engagement. Training and support are nice, but frankly not worth the losses incurred by winning opposed tower battles, to say nothing of the complex sum-product u(win)p(win)+u(lose)p(lose)

So far the fights have been for a combination of fun and prestige. Hopefully we can get PvP where things that are important but not critical hang in the balance. What kinds of things could that be? Is it too late for some settlement-level crafting component to be rare and only available at known times and places?

It seems obvious that most on this thread have acknowledged that the current PvP dynamic lacks both rewards and any real risks. Hopefully the mule system and the eventual holding raiding and faction systems will add the risk and reward that has been lacking.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Elsworth Sugarfoot
I don't think changing one area to rep-free would do anything. People would still need a reason to go there.

Usually zone based PvP includes having rarer resources found only in those zones. That is the most common incentive to encourage players to go into those zones.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Decius
Fallen Earth's "PvP zones" had so much resources and so many people that wanted to gather unmolested that there was no PvP. That might be better if there was looting of corpses, but not by much.
Tink says Stab
P.S, what I thought of when I read the topic title
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Decius
Fallen Earth's "PvP zones" had so much resources and so many people that wanted to gather unmolested that there was no PvP. That might be better if there was looting of corpses, but not by much.

When I played there was more faction and RP based PvP, via self flagging, than zone PvP or at least in my experience. Travelers / CHOTA vs Enforcer / Tech were far more PvP active than Vistas and Lightbringers, again in my experience. But there was also more role playing in FE than I believe there is here in PFO.

OMG I'm not saying there is none, but there is not as much mechanical support or content for it. Hopefully factions will bring that to PFO as well?

If you haven't noticed, I'm a big fan of Fallen Earth and I occasionally return to it.

Elsworth Sugarfoot
rare and valuable resources in open pvp meteor hexes would be a nice addition. I really like pvp in hexes that aren't just flat. It makes terrain knowledge a big factor.

I think there should be 8 more things like this though, that aren't critical to a settlement or a character, but just a nice carrot to get people interested.
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Decius

After reading this a few times, it still does not make any sense. If there were open PvP zones, and plenty of people willing to go there for valuable resources, why would there be no PvP?

Wanting to gather unmolested, does not mean that they will be unmolested if they enter the zone. If gatherers want to be unmolested they have the choice to limit themselves to lower value gathering. That is the basis of zone based resources and PvP.

Tigari
Bludd, what I think He ment was, everyone who did go there just wanted to gather, so there was no pvp.Like a game wide agreement of " this is a valuable resource we all want, let's just gather it and not fight". I don't think this would be a problem in PFO as the limited resources in a hex.

If anything I could see there being little pvp due to the hexes being "strip mined" late at night when not many people are on, so the hex is defeated during the day, so everyone but the late night strip miners stop going there.

Edit for phone typos
BlackMoria
Which could be mitigated in much the same way as GW is doing now with the Yew shortage in the character starter area. The yew was getting mined out so fast due to new players that GW folks were 'resupplying' the yew hexes around Thornkeep several times a day.

If a lack of resources in such 'high yield' hex designed to stimulate open PvP were to happen, they could do the same thing as the yew. Keep the resources high to keep the fighting going and make sure it doesn't drop below a certain level.

Of course, it would need monitoring to ensure the issue of 'gentlemen agreements' didn't undermine the intent of a PvP area that was to 'fight' over the resources.

The concept is not without it problems but right now, what are we fighting over? Far less, it seems, which is why this thread started in the first place.
Sspitfire1
mispost

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post