Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Splitting Physical Damage into Piercing/Slashing/Bludgeoning

Tink says Stab
This is something that Decius suggested in another thread, and is an idea that I think has merit. Right now, Physical Damage is Physical Damage, there are relatively few dials for the developers to play with. The leads to ham-fisted balancing being considered simply due to the lack of finesse available. Compare this to Magical Damage, which has all the elemental damage types.

By splitting Physical Damage into Piercing/Slashing/Bludgeoning, the developers gain more dials to fiddle with. This opens up the opportunity for stronger effects that are not as far reaching.

Say, for example, the developers want to create a Wizard spell that more closely mirrors Protection from Arrows. Right now that either means building technology that allows the game to recognise the source of incoming damage, and reducing it depending on range, or just giving an extremely high Physical Resist effect, which in turn also defends the Wizard against melee. Not the intention of the spell.

If, instead, the developers could create a Wizard spell that only gives a large amount of Piercing Resistance, they could easily build Protection from Arrows. It encourages Fighters to bring multiple weapon types, as they could be more easily countered with a high power Resistance effect. It also opens up the design space for different arrow types, but with advantages and disadvantages inherent to their type. Bludgeoning arrows that only deal a small amount of damage, but do Bludgeoning damage, and so avoid spells like Protection from Arrows.

Thoughts?
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Rynnik
Tink says Stab
It encourages Fighters to bring multiple weapon types, as they could be more easily countered with a high power Resistance effect. It also opens up the design space for different arrow types, but with advantages and disadvantages inherent to their type. Bludgeoning arrows that only deal a small amount of damage, but do Bludgeoning damage, and so avoid spells like Protection from Arrows.
Definitely interesting.

You could split weapons up by their predominate damage type as you say and also leave room for specific feats (or as in your example ammo to change the damage type) to do an alternative type of damage. For example axes could be slashing with one of their attacks designated as the 'ol' flip it around and hit them with the backside attack' for bludgeoning damage.

Lots of tweakable variables in that scenario.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Giorgio
+1
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Duffy Swiftshadow
+1

I think I like it, especially if it would make certain neglected weapons more viable. Plus of course more variance and options. Breaking up 'catch all' buffs/debuffs/effects and what not is good as it opens the playing field a bit, just gotta make sure it's all actually useful.
xaosist
+1 for meaningful decisions and encouraging diversity
Brighthaven Leader
Yep, love this idea.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Dreamslinger
I like the idea but it seems like it might be toughest on Rogues since almost all of their weapons would end up being piercing wouldn't they?
Edam
I suspect this might hit the same hurdle that cold iron and silver vulnerabilities has but it is actually a good idea.

In reality cloth and padded armors had very good piercing resistance against even heavy arrows. Chain by itself on the otherhand is useless against arrows but traditionally was worn over a flax/linen Gambeson designed to provide mounting points for any arm plates etc, enhance comfort and give some degree of arrow protection.

Chainmail bikinis were not historically a thing at all.
Wyborn Cathmor
Dreamslinger
I like the idea but it seems like it might be toughest on Rogues since almost all of their weapons would end up being piercing wouldn't they?

Daggers are piercing OR slashing in table top games. It should not be an issue to have a weapon count as multiple attack types.
Wyborn Cathmor of Keeper's Pass
"The first gift you ever receive is your family. We all grow from the seeds of our parents' plant."
-Parables of Erastil
Father Bronin
+1 to this idea. May have to be a longer term goal but it fits on many levels.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post