Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Dropping Company to Avoid Feud

Elsworth Sugarfoot
We all knew this would happen. I'm not blaming the people who do it. But the game needs some kind of mechanic to prevent me just typing /vcleave nightcrawlers to make my enemies go red (with all the disadvantages that entails) if they want to attack me. They spent the influence to feud my company I should be red to them for the length of the feud regardless if I leave and switch to an unfeuded company.
Edam
This is one of the obvious and unavoidable consequences (another being deliberately empty settlements cos buildings are now just convenience rather than essential) of the "support everything up to level 20" decision.

Eventually people will just have alts to swap in to save any influence and then company jump to a company based at Blackwatch or some other non=town for the duration of the food.
Decius
It's been brought up before, but nobody discussed it then. I don't think we need a programming change to decide "don't do that", because we as a community can establish which shenanigans are acceptable and which are not.

Personally, I feel that tactical changes in company are no more or less against the spirit of the game than short term strategic changes in company; dropping company to exit and then reapplying to reenter the engagement is the same kind of juggling of game mechanics as dropping company to reduce feud cost and joining back to participate for free. Reasonable people might see some significant difference that I do not, and I encourage them to share it.
Beinion
I don't see how jumping out of a company to avoid the fued is any different then joining a company to take part in one everyone seemed to be ok with when people were jumping company's to take towers But now moving out of a company to not par take in the fued is not
Edam
Beinion
I don't see how jumping out of a company to avoid the fued is any different then joining a company to take part in one everyone seemed to be ok with when people were jumping company's to take towers But now moving out of a company to not par take in the fued is not

I think the logic is the first feud was to take a tower so therefore company jumping is legitimate whereas the second feud was declared specifically to gank crafters and non combatants in a settlement so therefore company jumping is unsportsmanlike.

I do not personally see any difference and actually think the whole feud mechanic is only marginally better than the old tower windows and is fundamentally still broken.
Midnight
Beinion

My only issue is that it was done while running through town for the specific purpose of causing a feuder to die to Thornguards after the feuded shed his company (although the intended victim didn't fall for it, since it is just the kind of sneaky snot we already expect from that particular opponent).

I don't have a strong opinion, yet, on shedding a company to escape feuding; I'm ambivalent because it is one of those things both sides can do, and yet it may frustrate the intents of the feuder.

But deliberately trying to get someone killed by Thornguards that way is something I do disapprove of and is arguably already forbidden by the familiar passage of text that ends in Don't Do That Thing.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Rynnik
Company dropping is fine in my opinion until the other pressures for membership are sorted out. The worker system for holdings/outposts should be plenty of reason for people to think a bit longer about staying.

You already forfeit the 'social' impetus of 'we care about this organizational construct and who we are as part of this group' when you do it, so waiting until there are more soft pressure like the worker system should be fine.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Elsworth Sugarfoot
But it is so unsatisfying when my hated enemies who I have spent influence to feud can just unred with one command! DIE! DIE! DIE!
Midnight
Elsworth Sugarfoot
But it is so unsatisfying when my hated enemies who I have spent influence to feud can just unred with one command! DIE! DIE! DIE!

smile

I understand that, but until we can be part of (at least) the 3 companies the devs promised us, confining people to a single company would be a breach of the game we were promised.

I'd also add that, even if locked from company hopping, the not logging in tactic would still thwart your murderous rage ability to serve justice upon those deserving it. This game really doesn't need to offer people ANOTHER reason not to login, at least at this stage.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
hmm, what if each person leaving the feuded company added to the feuding company's influence refund?

That would still give people the social flexibility of continued company hopping while making the feuder's spent influence less wasted.
-Edmund Burke

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post