Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Taking a break - rant

Hobson Fiffledown
I can only imagine how much less of a chore many parts of the game would be, and how much less of a ghost town it would feel like, if we even had basic communication channels (we're below basic, below MVP now). Being able to broadcast to your settlement, "Hey, I'm here doing X, does anyone want to join?" would have been great to keep a good number of people from leaving because of a ghost town feeling (common complaint in many exit posts). Do that in General and half the server will jump down your throat for having a death wish and broadcasting your location to the hordes and hordes of murderhobos *snicker*. Chided for using the tools we have, but having no other tools provided to use, that's not a good combo.

Sure, I'll join mumble if it's a life or death tactics issue (some escalations, some PvP), but otherwise, I normally have stuff going on. I like listening to loud music, sometimes I'm in a conference call, I sing when I'm nervous…there are so many reasons to not be constantly logged into third party sites and programs just to play a game. Yes, there are many 3rd party options, but this is a social game and communication tools should have been a higher Dev priority.
This space for rent.
Rynnik
Hobson Fiffledown
I like listening to loud music, sometimes I'm in a conference call, I sing when I'm nervous…there are so many reasons to not be constantly logged into third party sites and programs just to play a game.
There are exact possibilities to do that with things like logged in members lists, chats, notification programs, opt in only sound stuff. You aren't trying very hard if you don't find an exact program to tailor to your needs precisely.

There are so many reasons to get EXACTLY what your specific group needs from an out of game resource that trying to program in catch alls are a waste of dev power.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Hobson Fiffledown
Now, if you read the whole post instead of just cherry picking, I'm not saying solutions aren't available. Actually, I don't even detail the methods I use or detail settlement and alliance communication solutions. I think basic in-game communication tools (settlement chat, company chat, you know…in a game where settlements and companies are supposedly the basic social building blocks), should have been MVP. You…do not. There's your argument.

No one is arguing that there aren't third party workarounds that fit our needs. No one is even saying they aren't handling the lack of in-game communication tools on their own. It seems to me that people are saying we want some basic-level text communication channels in game that hold up to the level of quality expected back in 2001. You might call it a pet project. Some people are spreadsheet warriors, some are economi systemc warriors, some people are sales, communication, and client retention warriors. An issue for some players seems like a waste of Dev time to you, but that doesn't mean it's actually a waste of Dev time.

Edit - grr, tablet typing
This space for rent.
Rynnik
Hobson Fiffledown
Now, if you read the whole post instead of just cherry picking
smile

Dude, I am not quoting select sections because that is all I read. I am also not concerned with a) convincing you or b) solving or enhancing your particular communication example. I post the way I have in the manner I have to provide an alternative to the perfectly correct perspective you have elaborated on.

I am very well aware that this conversation (like so many others on this forum) boil down to 'this is what I want' versus 'this is what you want'. That is cool. And I fully respect your opinion and perspective on it - it is equally as valid as mine, even though I don't really care enough to waste time saying that every single time I post.

The point is that 3rd parties reading here may not have considered all the out of game options available to solve their various communications scenarios. By elaborating on them in this thread they may find a solution that works for them that in fact makes them very happy with the game from a communication standpoint and they may in fact then be swayed to join with their perspective with the proposal that GW work on other stuff right now until more systems that are of personal higher priority are added to the game.

I don't give a shit about correcting, berating, influencing, trolling, debating or anything else that people around here seem to attribute to my posts, that is actually never my intent. smile I really just want to see a game made that I want to play. *shrug* If my manner of going about that offends you all I can do is apologize I guess, but my approach is unlikely to change.
Hobson Fiffledown
Didn't mean to set you off, mate, and I'm nowhere near offended (that's just silly). I love a good debate.

If your real intention was, as you say, to point players, who do not realize there are third party options, to said third party options and solutions, then I would suggest you do that instead of…you know…what you did. smile
This space for rent.
Rynnik
Hobson Fiffledown
Didn't mean to set you off, mate, and I'm nowhere near offended (that's just silly). I love a good debate.

If your real intention was, as you say, to point players, who do not realize there are third party options, to said third party options and solutions, then I would suggest you do that instead of…you know…what you did. smile
Nah, not set off in any way. Just been a few of these lately so I thought maybe I would clarify my perspective a touch in case it helped. Not really concerned if it helped or not but thought I'd make the effort.

I'm pretty happy with my approach - it gets results for other audiences where time and metrics have determined what works and doesn't and I highly doubt the internet forum demographic is so different that it doesn't carry over.

I'm good. Worry less about how I say things if it is going to detract from the experience for you.

In the meantime GW should focus on stuff outside of in game communications because out of game options are so varied and well implemented that it is largely wasted work anyways.
Hobson Fiffledown
Tone, or how people phrase things really makes no difference to me (and the idea of any detraction from my game experience is just silliness). Intentional incorrect rephrasing, paraphrasing, or selectively misrepresenting my statements for the purpose of supporting an entirely different point is, however, something that I do like to address. Because, I like to debate. It's no different really than Doc whispering nicely after PvP to help others raise their game. I don't poke just to poke (well, maybe Calidor[?], but that was a fringe issue). Good times.
This space for rent.
Rynnik
Hobson Fiffledown
Intentional incorrect rephrasing, paraphrasing, or selectively misrepresenting my statements for the purpose of supporting an entirely different point is, however, something that I do like to address.
Are you claiming I did one of those things? That would definitely give us something fun to debate.
RexTerra
The lack of in-game information neuters the efficacy of any 3rd party program. Hobson's points are valid: it is obnoxious to go onto TS in a large guild and start asking if anyone is in a particular settlement: that is what in-game tools are for. A 3rd party program cannot fill the void for information it has absolutely no access to.

In the most tactically planned MMO groups I've ever gamed with, in-game communication was still a vital component of our plans.

Moreover, it is essential for more casual players to have access to in-game tools to directly communicate.

There are probably a dozen "no-brainer" reasons you could attach to this as well: a lot of the value of 3rd party programs disappears once someone can't talk on their mic. Let's be honest, who prefers looking at TS chat on a 2nd monitor instead of just seeing a /g message?

As for Rynnik's approach that makes him happy: I'm glad it makes him happy, but on an internet forum it come across as obnoxious, so perhaps he might want to realize that part of being a capable human is adjusting your delivery in different situations. I mean come on, "time and metrics"? What is this, call center theatrics?
Jakaal
Hell even in my small settlement if certain people are on voice chat, I hate being in there. Use of VOX activation but refusing to have a quiet environment, constant talking with inane chatter, eating in front of the mic are all terrible comms habits I refuse to put up with and will leave as soon as it happens. Makes it a massive PITA when that is the only effective means of communication with my group.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post